User Avatar Image

Calling Mr. Grossman...

posted by ThunderPeel2001 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

*** HERE BE MONKEY ISLAND 2 SPOILERS ***

Would you... you continue? :D

MI2 ending:

@Dave Grossman said: Always controversial, isn't it? Some hate it, others love it, not too many opinions in the middle. Having a cliffhanger like that would have been a much better idea had Ron or any of us actually worked on the next game. Which, of course, we didn't, and poor Jonathan and Larry had to figure out what to do with it on their own. I thought their game was rather good.

I'm not going to say anything about what was or was not originally intended to follow that cliffhanger. I would caution you not to put too much faith into any particular rumor you might hear about it. Those who know don't tell, and those who tell don't know. Make up your own mind about what it means - that's what poetry is for (and, um, also the bizarre endings of funny computer games).

The plot thickens! :) That leaves me with two questions:

1. Why won't "those in the know" tell? (Will they ever change their minds?)

2. Surely the ending was quite clearly explained in the final moments of the game? We see "Chuckie" for his true self (Guybrush doesn't) and then we cut to Elaine, apparently alive and well and not a figment of anyone's imagination... So what we HAVE been told is actually quite clear, right?

Have you read the Scumm Bar's breakdown of the whole affair? Here it is, if you haven't:
http://bit.ly/scummbar

@Dave Grossman said: Many theories have floated over the web about what really was going on in Monkey Island. Some say there are portals in the pirate world around the Caribbean; or that the secret is the location of Monkey Island itself; or, finally, because of MI2's ending, that Guybrush is just a young boy who is visiting a theme park.

On these suggestions Ron Gilbert once commented, "One is closer than the others -- but not much".

Thanks for replying,
- Johnny

PS - I'm LOVING Tales!

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Bas

Remember when that guy paid $50,000 at an auction just to hear the secret of who Carly Simon's "You're so vain" is about?

Now, assuming that I'll become embarrassingly rich, and that Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer all know what the MI2 ending meant or what the Secret is: which one of the three is more bribeable?

My money is on Tim.

• Maybe they don't tell because the rumors became much more sophisticated than their actual plan for it and so they need time to think of something even more surprising than what the rumors suggest.

I guess the idea was simply that they are actually kids. Very disappointing, that's why they don't tell. They don't want to disappoint us ;)

• @Ron Gilbert said: One is closer than the others, but not much.

That tells me that no one has gotten it right yet and therefore no one actually knows. Which sounds to me that this theme park idea makes no sense. A lot of things from the first game go unexplained. Like the fact that LeChuck originally is uninterested in Guybrush and simply wants Elaine. That doesn't make any sense if it was just some kid looking for his brother.

• @plrichard said: That tells me that no one has gotten it right yet and therefore no one actually knows. Which sounds to me that this theme park idea makes no sense. A lot of things from the first game go unexplained. Like the fact that LeChuck originally is uninterested in Guybrush and simply wants Elaine. That doesn't make any sense if it was just some kid looking for his brother.

That's why he lost him in the first place: he was chasing a girl

• @Corv said: That's why he lost him in the first place: he was chasing a girl

Actually in MI2 LeChuck says their parents asked him to go get Guybrush...

• Well this is all I know, and I learned it from Larry Ahern and Dave Grossman. [..] The explanation I heard is that Guybrush was lost in the Pirates Ride at Big Whoop Amusement Park the whole time, imagining the whole adventure. Then Chucky, his mean older brother goes and pulls him back to reality. The end. And that magical lightning coming out of Chucky's eyes and Elaine waiting by the hole on Dinky Island (which sounds a lot like Disney Land) was put there just in case there was to be a Monkey Island 3. The secret is that the MI world is not real.

I just hope Mr. Grossman (can I call you Dave? :)) will address this little part right here.

• Maybe, just maybe since we have series called "TALES" of MI we will get more insight.
    So many people want the answer and with Ron as well as the originals working on new tales... We can only hope, however episode 1 in my opinion is back on track with 1 and 2 as far as quality.

• @plrichard said: I just hope Mr. Grossman (can I call you Dave? :)) will address this little part right here.

He already answered that, that's what he meant when he wrote:

@plrichard said:
    I would caution you not to put too much faith into any particular rumor you might hear about it. Those who know don't tell, and those who tell don't know.

I mentioned Bill Tiller's quote in my original message.

• I always worried that it was one of those 'it was all in his mind' sort of things. Ron and co probably don't want to reveal what it meant because they know it'll disappoint a lot of people...

• @ThunderPeel2001 said: He already answered that, that's what he meant when he wrote:

I mentioned Bill Tiller's quote in my original message.

Oh ok, thanks for the update.

Add Comment