User Avatar Image

The Pros and Cons of Culture Shock

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

what did you like,what worked, and what would you like to see?
what didn't you like, what would you like improved?
start listing! :D

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Yandros said: More gripes, after sleeping on it…

I'm not so sure I'm liking the episodic feel. Its too much like the TV series? Very linear.

I would enjoy a true sequel more. In the spirit of the original game...
    Perhaps they can spin future episodes into more open-ended style games? You can have ‘episodes’ and still retain the freedom of an adventure game. Take money island for example… four games vaguely fit together but the actual game play is very free with plenty of quirks and dare I say it, more atmosphere than S&M episode 1.

Money Island??:D
    Anyway, we know that also Freelance Police was planned to have different "episodes", or let's say self-conclusive stories tied together, the only difference is that they would have been released in one game while we have to wait for each episode to come.
    I think that buying Freelance Police would almost have been like buying Telltale's S&M Season 1 once it's all over.
    BTW, what do you mean by TRUE SEQUEL? The continuing story of Bruno, C. Bumpus etc. (that sure would be horrible!) or a brand new adventure separated from HTR?

• @Guybrush_Threepwood said: Money Island??:D
    Anyway, we know that also Freelance Police was planned to have different "episodes", or let's say self-conclusive stories tied together, the only difference is that they would have been released in one game while we have to wait for each episode to come.
    I think that buying Freelance Police would almost have been like buying Telltale's S&M Season 1 once it's all over.
    BTW, what do you mean by TRUE SEQUEL? The continuing story of Bruno, C. Bumpus etc. (that sure would be horrible!) or a brand new adventure separated from HTR?

Obviously I meant Monkey Island, simple typo.

By true sequel I mean a second game. Not an episode or a ‘gamette’, if there is such a thing. And preferably in the same interface style (2D would be best) even with some of the old places.

Obviously it would be another case. Take the old Sam and Max game, and wrap it around a new story/case. Make it the same length with new puzzles equally as insane as the first. We just want more of Sam and Max hit the road… is that so much to ask :(

• Well just got in from work and dotted the I's and crossed the T's on Culture Shock.
    Here are my pros and cons.

Pros
    [LIST]
    [*]Charater Design: This was pretty much spot on though Max's protruding "eyebrow" creeped me out a little.
    [*]Music: This was right on the money though the intro sequence, while awesome, sounded like it was trying too hard to sound like HTR's.
    [*]General Animation: Pretty damn good with one exception, I'll get to that in Cons.
    [*]Voices: The voice actors got the characters just about right, Sam is has that noir'ish deadpan and Max certainly sounds hyperactive and his delivery is pretty good.
    [*]Dream Sequence: I loved this section was nice to the little touches like the hand and lamp moving and the pencil coat rack.
    [/LIST]

Cons
    [LIST]
    [*]Sample quality: The voice samples in some areas were woefully poor, there was hiss and crackle all over the place especially from Sybil.
    [*]Lip Synch: Here is where the animation falls on its arse, combined with the awkward closeups its really jarring how badly synched their mouths are.
    [*]Humour: While the jokes are moderately funny their delivery and timing just isnt there. I didnt guffaw once, something HTR had me doing throughout.
    [*]Voice: Yep I know I put Voices in Pros too but heres the rub. Though Sam's voice is about right, his delivery is atrocious. It sounds like he is either stoned or just come out of a coma. There is no bite or wit to his one liners.
    [*]Difficulty: Sorry I had to put this here, its early in the game of course so this may improve with time. But as a seasoned adventure gamer with the best part of Lucasarts back catalogue and the Discworld series under my belt I found the puzzles patronisingly easy. Less "Hrrrm..." and more "Well DUH!"
    [/LIST]

• PROS:
    [LIST]
    [*]The dialogue. It feels exactly like it's supposed to.
    [*]The voice acting is mostly excellent.
    [*]The art, especially the background detail.
    [*]The music, especially the altered music during the hallucination sequence.
    [/LIST]

CONS:
    [LIST]
    [*]Sam's dialogue "leads" the player too strongly to solving the disorder puzzle at Sybil's.
    [*]You stay in the main street area for too long before getting to the more interesting areas (Brady's).
    [*]Brady culture's voice acting feels sort of low-budget, like they just got one of the programmers or one of their friends.
    [*]The scene transitions -- where it just freezes on the current scene and then after an indeterminate load time jumps into the next.
    [*]The vocal dialogue gets cut off sometimes.
    [/LIST]

• First post :
    Hello !

My Pros :
    - Almost everything ... Really :)
    - Music, ambience, dialogue.
    - Lots of things to interact with, I was very impressed by the fact that sam&max had answers and thoughts for almost every object in the world. :D

Cons :
    - Lypsinch is better than what I thought in the videos, but lacks speed and reaction sometimes.
    - Animations are sometimes too slacky, I especially felt that with brady culture. It felt like people where too stiff.
    - A detail : A little moving thing on the loading times, just to be sure things have not freezed up.

In the end, it has been a looooooong times since I laughed out loud in front of my computer, and just for that : THANK YOU Telltale !

• @touky said: In the end, it has been a looooooong times since I laughed out loud in front of my computer, and just for that : THANK YOU Telltale !

Oh yeah, that had to be the BEST bit about Sam and Max. Finding a computer game funny again.:D

• its been a while thats for sure..

• Pros

It's SAM & MAX ! Thankyou Telltale !

Cons

I have a heavy middle finger ( oversensitive mouse button ?) and so missed some of the characters dialogue & some scenes because I clicked the right mouse button inadvertantly...which got me cursing a bit...

Love your signature Hero...Sam & Max was the last of the Lucasarts adventures I played ..so I've only had to wait 3 years..

• Hi, I have just finished the game.

Pros

- Probably the most important thing to me: Good old Sam and Max dialogues and comments (bacteria playing basketball, uncle Louie's moth-eaten wallet and false-idol-worshipphing car drivers really crack me up) :)

- Music - superb.

Cons

- Sam's voice could use some impassionedness. Although the other voices were great

- Characters are a little bit lifeless

- Too easy! How am I supposed to find all the great replicas and easter eggs if I'm not bumbling around? :D

• pros

Feels Like Sam And Max!

Great Musical Score!

Sweet graphics!

Voices Are Spot On!

Nice Plot!

We Get To Use A Gun!

cons

Animation Is Nice But also kind of **** it Lacks Real Emotion Hit The Road Had
    2d Animation Which Had Real Quality, But This Has Some Basic 3d Animation.

Waaaaay Too Linear

Way To Easy And Short! It Took Me Like 6 Hours I Waited 13 Years For What Felt Like A Freaking Mini Game I Know Its Eposodic But The Next Ones January So Evry 2 Months I Get 6 Hours Of Gameplay? *(

The Humour Is Classic Sam And Max But It Feels A Lot More Pc And Boring Than Hit The Road. Darken The Humour A Bit Were Not Ten Dont Aim For Kids, This Is Sam And Max Not Finding Nemo Baby Puzzle Adventure!

GAAAAAAAAA IM DELIGHTED BUT VERY DISSAPOINTED

DARKEN THE HUMOUR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT WAS SOOO PG we dont eat rusks were not 8

i could smell the tone it down humour approach for the wider audience bs!

Add Comment