User Avatar Image

episodic monkey island good idea?

posted by Hee Ho Ho on - last edited - Viewed by 359 users

i don't think they should have released monkey island episodic, because monkey island has always been visiting many islands including returning to previous islands (i think this is the case with curse of monkey island, can't remember escape.) anyway, episodic means that they will have to put in the island again if they want to return to a previous island. also, the item you currently hold, will they be lost? or will you be given the items you need automatically. anyway i'm just thinking, why not make it expansion style? wouldn't that be better? i don't know, telltale is really good, i just don't like the fact that sam and max season 1 is always starting in the office and wallace and gromit is always in wallabe street, i don't want monkey island to be limited like the games above, monkey island has always been huge.

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • telltale have said each episode will feel like a continuation of the previous one and I believe some inventory will be carried over. As far as I can remember, MI2 was the only game where u could move between islands. The other 3 progressed from island to island (except a short return to melee island in 1 and 4) so I dont see a problem with the episodic format and I think it works really well.
    Plus a new 20hr MI game would ruin my life right now (trying to revise uni retakes) so it works for me!

• Also, each episode won't reuse the same assets.

• As I remember, the Monkey Island games have been in 'chapters' in a way, so I don't think that this is such a great shift as people are making it out to be. While I do wish I could sit down and play it all at once, I can see why Telltale is doing this, and it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game.

• @Hee Ho Ho said: i don't think they should have released monkey island episodic, because monkey island has always been visiting many islands including returning to previous islands (i think this is the case with curse of monkey island, can't remember escape.) anyway, episodic means that they will have to put in the island again if they want to return to a previous island. also, the item you currently hold, will they be lost? or will you be given the items you need automatically. anyway i'm just thinking, why not make it expansion style? wouldn't that be better? i don't know, telltale is really good, i just don't like the fact that sam and max season 1 is always starting in the office and wallace and gromit is always in wallabe street, i don't want monkey island to be limited like the games above, monkey island has always been huge.

No. They haven't said for sure that no islands would make a comeback. In fact, I think someone hinted that this was the last time we'd see Flotsam 'for a while'. They're just focusing on new locations. Besides:

In MI1 each chapter took place in seperate locations until part 4 which was a return to Melee.

In Mi2 each chapter was also mostly seperate locations, it's just that the massive 2nd chapter was 3 whole islands (including scabb from part 1).

In Curse of Monkey Island each chapter took place in a completely seperate location (not counting the cannon shop in the ship combat section)

I haven't played EMI lately but I think it followed a similar pattern to the above games.

So having each chapter take place in seperate locations is completely in keeping with the series.

• well thats great. i just hope they do something similar to insult sword fighting and ship battles like in curse of monkey island. i loved that. i also loved the ultimate insult in escape in monkey island (although i can never remember what it is until i play it again, i like the mystery) i also liked monkey kombat like in escape, although i think they went too far in the end of escape. i hope they put in funny characters like hermin toothrot (escape) and the guy with the golden tooth (curse). that was one really hard puzzle.

one thing i hate is the fact that the text you choose isn't said word for word. it's really funny when there is a ridiculous line and he refuses to say it, now he refuses to say pretty much anything.

• @Hee Ho Ho said: i hope they put in funny characters like hermin toothrot (escape) and the guy with the golden tooth (curse). that was one really hard puzzle.

Don't you mean "Herman Toothrot (secret, revenge and escape)?"

He appeared in the first two games as well.

• Considering all the past Monkey Island games were broken up into chapters anyways, I think it makes a decent amount of sense.

• Monkey Island is a perfect fit for episodic gaming since it was always broken into chapters!

Also it's clear items from the last episode will carry over.

• @tredlow said: Don't you mean "Herman Toothrot (secret, revenge and escape)?"

He appeared in the first two games as well.

i started playing from curse, graphics had evolved too much for me so i couldn't find myself playing the first 2. since the 1st one is coming out i may give it a try. the reason being that the graphics are similar, it's nice the fact that they wanted to keep it original but i don't like the limit of change so i'm on 50/50.

i agree that MI is quite obviously, always been episodic style. i was just suggesting expansion, i know there is hardly any difference. i don't mind.

what i do mind is the amount of exe shortcuts i have on my desktop. why don't they make 1 exe which when you launch, has links to the episodes. the ones you have are highlighted and the ones you don't are non existent or dull. don't you think that's a better idea? for example nero startsmart (a burning application) has links to several main applications.

• @Hee Ho Ho said: i started playing from curse, graphics had evolved too much for me so i couldn't find myself playing the first 2.

I know children who can play modern MMOs and other video games that have also played and enjoyed Secret and LeChuck's Revenge, usually after watching someone else play it for awhile and wanting to know if they could try.

I don't see why a fancier set of visuals makes the previous ones unplayable if they were playable before.

Add Comment