User Avatar Image

What did you think about the hint system?

posted by kbogle24 on - last edited - Viewed by 787 users

I would like to see what everyone else thinks about the hint system.

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I always set the hint frequency to 0/off. I don't need it, I don't want it, but others might.
    Leave it in the game for those who need it or remove it, I don't care for the hint system.

• been waiting long enough for this game, id rather be stuck for weeks than get help! (wishing i was stuck :() I felt there were enough hints in the dialogue without the hint system-I had to check a couple of times that it was actually off.
    for example: (slight spoiler)

Guybrush says 'This jungle is noisy' after u open the map the 3rd/4th time. I checked after and it was definately off

• I find the hints to be pretty jarring overall. I turn them off, and I do wish that we'd be taken to a "set up" screen before the season started like for Season Two of Sam and Max. That really put my options right in front of me before my excitement got the better of me.

It's fine if others want hints. Infocom made "introductory adventures", so I don't see how making the genre more accessible without actually making insanely easy games at the same time is a problem. Everybody wins, except those that DON'T know and have them turned on by default.

• I turned it off and completely forgot about it.

• I turned it all the way down.
    Have to say I just love this game =)

• @tmsmyth4 said: been waiting long enough for this game, id rather be stuck for weeks than get help! (wishing i was stuck :() I felt there were enough hints in the dialogue without the hint system-I had to check a couple of times that it was actually off.
    for example: (slight spoiler)

Guybrush says 'This jungle is noisy' after u open the map the 3rd/4th time. I checked after and it was definately off

yeah happen to me too. Even if the hints are set to 0 guybrush randomly hint the puzzle. It may be a bug or something

• I always play adventure games with hints off (no walkthrough or cheating). The longer the better, especially when your stuck and figure it out. It's so gratifying. Sadly I couldn't control myself and beat the game the first night all in one run with a stuck time of 3 hours. Counting down the days for Ep. 2

larys and tmsmyth4 - Same thing happened to me, frequently checked to make sure I wasn't crazy and left the hint system on. I agree with the bug idea

• After Guybrush decided to randomly say, "There has to be another way onto the ship-- something more pirate-y" when I had him looking at the swordfish, I went looking through the settings and turned it off. Didn't know it was even there until that.

I imagine that if I ever get so horribly stuck that I'm considering the utter humiliation of going looking for a walk-through that the hint system will be a welcome relief, but until then it's not really necessary. What it is useful to do is to introduce the MI universe to my FPS-obsessed friends or to any really young children. They're more the ones who will benefit.

• why 7 people vote for <>. i jsut can i understand why don't like it. since they can turn it off what their problem?

• Some of the newer Adventure gamers could use a hint system. They aren't accustom to being stuck for long periods of time.

why 7 people vote for <>. i just can't i understand why don't like it. since they can turn it off what their problem?

This I agree with, but if hints are set to off they need to be off.

Add Comment