User Avatar Image

Monkey Island run issues

posted by megatron on - last edited - Viewed by 298 users

I started Monkey Island up and the menu was VERY laggy. I turned the quality down to 1, and it ran just fine. When I actually got into the game, I still had some lag. I checked, and running at a quality of 3 or higher maxes out my CPU. Even with the quality at 1, I get spikes to about 85% usage.

My specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon
Processor Speed: 2.4GHz
Cache Memory: 1MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM): 2GB
Type of Memory (RAM): DDR2
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
Video Memory: Up to 128MB (shared)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Basic with SP1

My display is 1366x768. I was running the game at 1280x720 (or less).

19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hmm, your system looks pretty decent. You can try updating your graphics drivers and DirectX. I'd also suggest turning off all background programs.

  • @megatron said: Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
    Video Memory: Up to 128MB (shared)
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Basic with SP1

    Integrated cards and Vista Home Basic do not play terribly well together -- 128MB of shared RAM from Vista is a sign in many ways. Do you have this problem with other games, or 3D applications?

  • I'm having a similar problem on my Laptop. Audio is OK, but the video is very choppy. Even the mouse movement is very jerky.
    I'm running

    Vista Home Premium.
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology TL-52 1.60 GHz
    1.0 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GO 6150

  • @Audio51 said: Vista Home Premium.
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology TL-52 1.60 GHz
    1.0 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GO 6150

    Vista + 1GB of RAM = Lag.

    I've been there. I have a 7400 TurboCache and the jump from 1GB of RAM to 4GB (700MB went to the graphics card ;)) made a huge difference. Notably, your Geforce shares that 1GB and Vista will be using no less than 300MB (probably more around the 500MB mark).

  • I did get somewhat better results by lowering the resolution and quality within the game, but I'm getting sea sick playing this first scene because the the curser keeps soaring around the screen AND the entire thing takes place on a rocking boat. Any suggestions on how to slow the curser down?

    I do plan to upgrade my RAM ASAP but not sure when I can do that....

  • @Audio51 said: I did get somewhat better results by lowering the resolution and quality within the game, but I'm getting sea sick playing this first scene because the the curser keeps soaring around the screen AND the entire thing takes place on a rocking boat. Any suggestions on how to slow the curser down?

    I do plan to upgrade my RAM ASAP but not sure when I can do that....

    Windows Control Panel would be your best bet for the cursor issue.

    You need to remember the RAM is shared across all applications, Vista, and your graphics card, so anything you can close in the background will help with the jerkiness.

  • Thanks Megatron! I slowed down the cursor in the control panel as you recommended and it does help! Now I can actually play the game without getting nausiated!:D

  • i've got a presario r3000 it's an old computer (5years) i'm not getting alot of the graphics most of them are just black, i've updated video drivers for SBCGFAP but there are no new drivers for my nvidia, is my computer too old to play this game ?

  • I would suggest so, Clonefreak1. A 5 year old system, unless it was cutting edge, will probably have some problems, particularly if the OEM (NVidia in this case) has stopped supporting the graphics card. Unless you are running Windows XP, in which case there is some chance.

    If you could try Sam & Max Series 1 Episode 4 (it's free) you'll know if the issue is isolated to the current game, at the very least (and at best you get to play Sam & Max!).

  • @Turophile said: Integrated cards and Vista Home Basic do not play terribly well together -- 128MB of shared RAM from Vista is a sign in many ways. Do you have this problem with other games, or 3D applications?

    i just got the computer last week. i haven't really tried any other games or 3d applications... though i did play through an episode from season one of sam and max. it hung a couple of times, but otherwise ran fine at whatever the default settings are.

Add Comment