User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island running on Windows 7

posted by Dyne on - last edited - Viewed by 386 users

Hello,

I have a new iMac 24'inch with the following specs:

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 6MB shared L2 cache

Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Naturally, games aren't too friendly with the Mac operating system, so an alternative such as Windows is required for a larger selection of games to play.

For those that don't know, Mac's have a program called "Bootcamp," which allows the harddrive to be split into a separate partition to install and run Windows. Not being a huge fan of Windows, but wanting to play the new Monkey Island, I decided to install the free Windows 7 Release Candidate 32-Bit version. I was told that the 32-bit version was recommended over the 64-bit version.

Once Windows 7 was installed, I downloaded Tales of Monkey Island and booted it up. It opened up in the incorrect resolution for my screen, so I did some tweaking to get it in full-screen mode. Once the resolution was set I started a new file and was met with a very laggy experience with a choppy framerate. To get the game to run smoothly I needed to change the quality to "1".

Considering that my system passes the requirements to run this game, I'm confused as to why I can only run this game smoothly on the lowest quality setting. Is it something to do with Windows 7? Is there any known problems about this game running slowly?

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks.

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, I originally had no idea what Bootcamp was until now (I assumed it was a Windows emulator before), but my guess would be your graphics card. Seeing as how ToMI isn't really processor intensive, the GPU would be my best guess, as I believe the 1-9 slider thing in the options set's shaders and extra graphical eye candy!

Other then that, my only guess is that since Windows 7 isn't officially out yet, Telltale couldn't have really created the game for it, which might be the main problem.

Also, have you ran other games through Bootcamp? Do you experience the same problems with other less graphically intensive games, or even more graphically intensive games for that matter?

• As far as I know Bootcamp really isn't anywhere good enough to run newer games well.

• I can confirm that it runs fine on Windows 7; I use it as my primary OS on my PC laptop. The whole game ran fine from beginning to end without a single hiccup.

I'd suggest you double check your video drivers and ask around to see if anyone else has gotten it working with bootcamp.

• @lawrencek said: Other then that, my only guess is that since Windows 7 isn't officially out yet, Telltale couldn't have really created the game for it, which might be the main problem.

Also, have you ran other games through Bootcamp? Do you experience the same problems with other less graphically intensive games, or even more graphically intensive games for that matter?

Thanks for the reply.

I've only had the Mac for about a week, so Tales of Monkey Island was the first game I tried via Bootcamp. I'm guessing the issue might have something to do with Windows 7. I do have the original Windows XP disc, but apparently bootcamp requires the SP2 edition or later.

In the mean time I might try some other games and post their performance results.

• An integrated graphic card like the 9400M is good enough for generic multimedia usage. But it will be a stretch to run 3d environment to the optimum level.

By the way, I run TMI on my PC (Win7) on the highest setting with no problem whatsoever.

• Well, an onboard chip(obviously not THAT much power to it) and the fact that you're emulating an operating system to then on that run the game.

Emulating takes up a lot of resources and isn't nearly as optimized as running the operating system directly. So you lose out on a lot of resources ofcourse.

• @Aeterna said: Well, an onboard chip(obviously not THAT much power to it) and the fact that you're emulating an operating system to then on that run the game.

Emulating takes up a lot of resources and isn't nearly as optimized as running the operating system directly. So you lose out on a lot of resources ofcourse.

I think you're mixing up Boot Camp and Parallels. Boot Camp helps you set up your machine to dual boot; when you boot to Windows, it runs natively on the hardware; not emulated.

Also: My laptop has an nvidia 8600M; a full generation earlier than Dyne's. Though mine has its own memory (not pooled) so maybe that makes the difference?

• User Avatar Image
    Tim

@Aeterna said: Well, an onboard chip(obviously not THAT much power to it) and the fact that you're emulating an operating system to then on that run the game.

Bootcamp is not emulating, it is 'pure' native goodness. Therefore if it runs on a normal PC with Windows 7, it should work fine on your Macbook, provided the specs match, so I assume it is indeed your integrated chip.

I have a late 2006 black Macbook with both VmWare Fusion (virtualization) with XP SP2 as well as Bootcamp with XP SP2. My Macbook has an integrated Intel GMA 950 64MB graphics set (shared). ToMI runs 'okay' in Bootcamp, not so much in Fusion (as expected)

• I just had one idea that might help:

You say your graphics card has 256MB shared with main memory. Sometimes graphics cards that share with main memory can be configured to use more/less of it. Is it possible to tell it to use more main memory? Maybe that might help?

• I have exactly the same configuration as yours, iMac 24" Early 2009 with 9400M and windows Vista Ultimate installed via BootCamp (which is not emulation at all for those who don't know)
    Just Like you the game is very choppy if quality is set over 3...
    Disapointing but I think we should have bought the iMac with atleast a Geforce GT120 or even better ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB....

Add Comment