First of all..I'm a huge point-and-click fan. But,,,I'm really sad that they don't make the games that they used to do.
I've been alltime fan of dott, sam&max, monkey island, and all of the other old point-and-click games.
Bougth the Sam&Max complete season. Tried half through the first part of episode 1, and got really dissapointed. Sure, they have alot of cool dialogue etc, but its lack of atmosphere really gets me bored fast.
Really wanted to try the ned Monkey Island as well, but got stuck on the same boredome there as well.
Have the gamedesigners played the old point-and-click games?
Sure we got multi processor being able to toss tons of grahics to the screen,,,but do we need it?
I really urge the game developpers to stop expand the meanings of point-and click... We do NOT want 3d graphics and new and "fun" ways to handle a puzzlegame.
These should be the standard for point-and-click:
1) Graphics isnt everything in THIS types of games. Just look back at the old (for instance) Day Of The Tentacle - or Monkey Island for that matter. Those games had it all. It was a great atmosphere, that should no more than sharpen the edges when it comes to grahics.
The graphics was a bit fuzzy, but THAT should be the entire update on gamedesign; by just making the "same" graphics, but with better details..NO MORE.
2) This type of game had its glory for several years,,,until the gamedeveloppers started to expand the meaning of point-and-click. Stop making modifications of something that works GREAT. Use the bottom bar, display the "pickup/use/look....." as easy to get to menues, have the movement stop at clicking, have the player more focus on the tasks such as solving puzzels etc.
3) Focus on the puzzels, and focus on how the graphics (more like the old days) bright upp the game. Stop evolving the interface of the gameplay.
4) Focus on gameplay (which was genius back in the days), and stop reinventing a FINE wheel.
5) And finnally....Why fix it, if it aint broken?
Point-and-Click are more or less ruined as gametype,,,but I really beg and urge the software developpers to start making these types of games like they used to.
Just think of Full Throttle. I was thrilled when I heard the news of a sequel. But when I saw the grahics they wore going for,,,,it really lowered my expectations for it. And still,,,,it hasnt comed out yet. Do actually believe it has much to do with the gamedesign; which then lowers the expectations for people.
Full throttle, which was a genius game as well, only had its flaws with its right-click system for open/use etc. The 3d-part in that game ,,,I can sort of understand it because of the bikeriding,,but luckily it wasnt a big part of the game.
The old Dott, Sam&Max, Grim Fandango etc (police quest, kings quest for that matter, and the rest of them) should more or less set the standard for the games even today IF they are to made as a point and click. JUST update the "edges" on the graphics, and do NOT use the damn 3d. 3d games are for other types of games; NOT this.
Sam&Max + Monkey Island is pretty much ruined for me.
But,,,IF someone makes a sequal to DOTT,,,PLEASE don't wreck it. I beg you.
A brother of a friend of mine (12) are a real sucker for point-and-click. And like myself,,he likes the old ones far better.
He's more of a top notch pc-user, but says the settings and humor are far more better in the old games than then new ones; he has played sam&max himself. Im 29, and have grown up wth point-and-click. He is 12 yeaers old and has grown up with high end pc-specc games,,,,,we both likes the old versions of point-and-click better
Please remake sam&max + monkey island again. this time...do it fair to the point-and-click