User Avatar Image

Insult Swordfighting in MI:SE (and Guy's tone)

posted by Armand1880 on - last edited - Viewed by 110 users

Anyone else love the fact that when you chose the wrong retort to an insult, Guybrush's voice changes: his voice goes from strong to non-confident. When he says the wrong retort, he almost says it like a hopeful question that he knows will get a wrong answer.
I love it! that was one of my complaints about CMI's sword fighting - even when Guybrush said the wrong thing, he said it so strong and confidently.
This is one of those little touches that I love. Good job LucasArts, and great job Dominic for getting those lines spot on!

I also love the fact that Dominic knew to change the tone of Guybrush's voice ever so slightly: in ToMI he sounds so confident and strong, and here we see a younger more inexperienced Guybrush, and his voice shows this perfectly - great job!

13 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Nice touch.

Does he keep the hesitant tone against carla ?
    Could be fun, since you're basically relearning the whole thing there :p

• @Armand1880 said: Anyone else love the fact that when you chose the wrong retort to an insult, Guybrush's voice changes: his voice goes from strong to non-confident. When he says the wrong retort, he almost says it like a hopeful question that he knows will get a wrong answer.

Yes, i´ve also noticed that and love it. Voices in this special edition are great and Dominic does a superb job.

• So Carla is supposed to be this great sword master. But the important looking pirates said all pirate have to complete the three trials to become a pirate*... so if ALL the pirates have beaten Carla wouldnt that make her like the worst swordswoman alive basically?

* I know the important looking pirates where probably just messing with Guybrush but for the sake of argument lets say its true.

• @Irishmile said: So Carla is supposed to be this great sword master. But the important looking pirates said all pirate have to complete the three trials to become a pirate*... so if ALL the pirates have beaten Carla wouldnt that make her like the worst swordswoman alive basically?

* I know the important looking pirates where probably just messing with Guybrush but for the sake of argument lets say its true.

I would say a lot of people have beaten Carla considering she's technically only a carnival game.

(Just kidding, I hate that theory with a passion.)

• @plrichard said: I would say a lot of people have beaten Carla considering she's technically only a carnival game.

She does get beaten at least often enough to have T-shirts printed.

But I would say that, while every pirate probably had to prove their skill in swordfighting, thievery, and treasure-huntery, I imagine that the specific task they need to complete is probably chosen arbitrarily on a case-by-case basis.

• loved this touch, made the swordfighting feel less repetitive when you need to select wrong answers

• I always figured that it was Carla's job as Sword Master to test new recruits, so to speak. She lost, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was beaten. :)

• Does he keep the hesitant tone against carla ?
    Could be fun, since you're basically relearning the whole thing there

Quoting myself, first because i love doing so, but mostly because i'm really interested in the answer.
    Wouldn't hurt if they didn't, but i do think it'd be an even nicer touch.

• @plrichard said: I would say a lot of people have beaten Carla considering she's technically only a carnival game.

...could someone explain this to me? Sorry, but I just played the games when I was a kid, I didn't participate in any of the online hoopla that surrounded the game until now.

• @Rather Dashing said: ...could someone explain this to me? Sorry, but I just played the games when I was a kid, I didn't participate in any of the online hoopla that surrounded the game until now.

See MI2 ending.

Add Comment