User Avatar Image

Mouse control in ToMI

posted by Dago on - last edited - Viewed by 447 users

This one is for the Telltale Team,

I know that you guys usually tweak the controls/graphics until the last day of production, I was wondering if is it possible for you to change the a little bit how the mouse controls behave when you want to move Guybrush around.

Right now to move you need to click and drag, and if you want to run you need to hold shift, so the only way to run using just a mouse is to double click on a object, but for example when you're moving in the noisy jungle you can't run in most instances because there are no objects to click over on some screens.
If you click on an empty space nothing happens.

Could you change it so if you click on a blank (objectless) space Guybrush moves there and if you double click he runs?
It would be like in the old games only adding the option to run if there are no objects to click on the screen.
In my opinion that change would make the mouse only option really viable for people like me that play in our living room systems.

What do you guys think about that?

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You can make Guybrush run with just the mouse by right-clicking and holding or double-clicking and holding.

• Yeah, but the holding part doesn't really work well with a living room setup where you might have a small space to drag your mouse around.
    In my opinion just clicking and moving would really improve the control scheme.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Dago said: In my opinion just clicking and moving would really improve the control scheme.

If you mean classic Point&Click there are some Threads that explain why it's not possible in ToMI.

• @Dago said: Yeah, but the holding part doesn't really work well with a living room setup where you might have a small space to drag your mouse around.

Ummmmm.... you barely have to move the mouse while dragging to make Guybrush move. Once you have dragged to the direction you want, he will keep going in that direction while you hold the mouse button down, until you move the mouse again. I played on a small mouse pad on the couch in front of the big screen TV without any problem.

Like the other user said, double-click then drag to run, or hold down shift or the right button while dragging to run.

And to all the other people in the other threads that say it is too strenuous to keep holding the mouse button down while dragging... I ask how hard are you pressing the button? And do you realize that when you say the keyboard is easier and less strenuous, that you are also holding a button down while moving?

Drag to move is not the Evil people are making it out to be. But no mouse movement at all, such as W&G, was. I just fired up S&M 101 and found myself wanting to drag Sam around, but I had to keep clicking over and over to get Sam to move across the room.

But to each their own. This has all be discussed many times. I like the new mouse control. I would not mind P&C, but I would not buy the game with no mouse control at all if it worked like W&G again. Gamepads are OK, but I do not like toggling thru onscreen items to select, and using the second analog control as simulated mouse to select items is too awkward to control.

• somehow MI1 and 2 and 3 managed point and click controls, and they all had GREAT camera angles. i remember even being able to click in the air to move guybrush to the intended destination without clicking on landscape (remember when he was talking to the fish braggart on the wharf on phatt? you didn't even have to click on a physical object [the dock] to get him to move that way and out of the scene. you just clicked on the air, back towards the wharf.)

there is a way to include point and click control in a game like ToMI, i guarantee you

• @Duate said: you didn't even have to click on a physical object [the dock] to get him to move that way and out of the scene. you just clicked on the air, back towards the wharf.)

That is because the games are 2D. The game knows you are not trying to walk on air or walk into the water. It is harder to do that in a 3D enviroment. Every scene at every angle would have to be pre worked out if you wanted to click in the air to move in 3D. This takes time away from actually working on the game.

I recommend people to play the game all the way through with the mouse drag movement. They might find they begin to like the precise control offered. Trying it for 5 minutes and not liking it is not a great evaluation. I thought dragging worked great in the jungle.

• I agree with the OP. I absolutely hated the mouse controls in this game. My avatar alwasys seemed to either get caught in the scenery or end up standing somewhere with the camera in exactly the wrong spot. I quickly gave up and switched to wsad/arrow keys. I actually really wish I had tried the demo before purchasing the game. Had I realized how bad the mouse control was I probably would have saved my money.

I do agree that it worked ok in the jungle. Unfortunately by that point I was already used to using wsad due to the poor camera angles in the previous environments.

• yeah wasd worked good, and the mouse dragging was godawful

• @Derrick said: That is because the games are 2D. The game knows you are not trying to walk on air or walk into the water. It is harder to do that in a 3D enviroment. Every scene at every angle would have to be pre worked out if you wanted to click in the air to move in 3D. This takes time away from actually working on the game.

I recommend people to play the game all the way through with the mouse drag movement. They might find they begin to like the precise control offered. Trying it for 5 minutes and not liking it is not a great evaluation. I thought dragging worked great in the jungle.

i think they're smart enough to make a control system that isn't thinking you're trying to walk off into the air when you click at the border of a scene

• @Duate said: i think they're smart enough to make a control system that isn't thinking you're trying to walk off into the air when you click at the border of a scene

If you are saying... should TTG add an pop-up arrow at the edges of the screen to allow you to click to move that way, then yes, I think that's a good idea. But the right side inventory pop-up might confict with that.

Myself, after years (and years) of playing point&click games, I found I actually liked the drag to move and have no problems with that replacing P&C. Welcome to the 3D world. :D

Add Comment