User Avatar Image

Mouse control in ToMI

posted by Dago on - last edited - Viewed by 436 users

This one is for the Telltale Team,

I know that you guys usually tweak the controls/graphics until the last day of production, I was wondering if is it possible for you to change the a little bit how the mouse controls behave when you want to move Guybrush around.

Right now to move you need to click and drag, and if you want to run you need to hold shift, so the only way to run using just a mouse is to double click on a object, but for example when you're moving in the noisy jungle you can't run in most instances because there are no objects to click over on some screens.
If you click on an empty space nothing happens.

Could you change it so if you click on a blank (objectless) space Guybrush moves there and if you double click he runs?
It would be like in the old games only adding the option to run if there are no objects to click on the screen.
In my opinion that change would make the mouse only option really viable for people like me that play in our living room systems.

What do you guys think about that?

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    viz

@Duate said: yeah wasd worked good, and the mouse dragging was godawful

I agree, the click and drag was awkward. I used the keys with no problems but I would like to see a point and click interface as it's much more efficient. Consoles dictate most game development these days and it's not easy to swallow when they have an overbearing impact on perfectly legitimate PC features.

Edit: Revolution returned to point and click with Broken Sword: The Angel of Death after users voiced their disappointment. Needless to say it worked fine.

• I had no problem with the mouse controls. I can drag characters like a pro. Maybe you all need more practice because it's easy!

It only takes a tiny drag in any direction to start Guybrush moving and then only tiny left or right movements of the mouse to turn. So you don't need a giant mouse space to use it. My mouse pad is tiny. Although actually I have a laser mouse which is pretty accurate.

I was even using the mouse control to run after someone mentioned above that it only takes a right click while Guybrush is already moving. It was so liberating!

Don't bash the control system just because you need more practice! I actually didn't need any - I was able to use it right away because it felt natural and intuitive. Maybe you are just to used to WASD or gamepads or point and click to easily adapt. I've played lots of different games over the years though with wildly different controls so maybe that's why I didn't have any problems.

Some other examples from games with different controls (a God sim, a people sim and another popular adventure game series):

Black and White - the grabbing and dragging of the ground to move was interesting. Strenuous too if you needed to move a lot.

The Sims - aside from moving the mouse to the screen edges to move, you could also hold right mouse and drag the camera around. So obviously holding down a button and dragging is not some wild new concept.

Broken Sword 4 - there was direct WASD control and also point and click, but that meant that every scene had to have the floor on display to accommodate. In Broken Sword 3 there was keyboard only control.

I say they should keep the new click-drag system. After all, just because you don't want to use it doesn't mean others won't, and also you don't need to if you don't want to because there's also keyboard - so why are you against it? If you don't like it , don't use it! I'll use it instead.

• Use WASD? It works very well

• I know that clicking and dragging isn't the end of the world, but sometimes Guybrush would act strangely and get stuck for no reason, like in front of the Club 41 and around the Doc's house.

I didn't think of the items menu popping out when you click to the right, but it could be solved by summoning the menu by clicking on the mouse wheel.

I'm just saying that point and click feels more natural and would make my life easier, the actual scheme is not a deal breaker but I would really appreciate to have a few options for different playstyles : )

• Click and drag is great. Actually after playing click and drag in TMI, for 2 weeks in regular point and click games I really missed the feature.

• I'd prefer Point and Click. Why shouldnt he bash the control system? It shouldnt be necessary to "have practice" to play an adventure game, you know?

• @stoney1981 said: I'd prefer Point and Click. Why shouldnt he bash the control system? It shouldnt be necessary to "have practice" to play an adventure game, you know?

It shouldn't be necessary to have practice to operate cars. Guess I won't drive one.

...or maybe I will because the minimal practice I have to put in is worth the reward.

• Haha, what kind of stupid argument is this? Did cars drive by themselves in the past? You might be too young to know, but back in the early days, the so called golden era of computer games, we controlled our adventure games entirely with the mouse. Having to put up with keyboard and mouse is clearly more tricky. A adventure game should challenge your brain, not have you putting up a fight against the controls.

• @stoney1981 said: Haha, what kind of stupid argument is this? Did cars drive by themselves in the past? You might be too young to know, but back in the early days, the so called golden era of computer games, we controlled our adventure games entirely with the mouse. Having to put up with keyboard and mouse is clearly more tricky. A adventure game should challenge your brain, not have you putting up a fight against the controls.

Actually the earliest memory I have is of the graveyard in Monkey Island 2. Thanks for the ad hominem though. My point is that practicing to use something does not devalue it. It'll take you a good ten to fifteen minutes to get use to click and drag. Is that really too much to ask in comparison to the cinematic and ease of design for the developers of an episodic game? They could waste more time on point and click instead of content. I don't know about you but I play for a story, plot and puzzle - not to point and click a lot.

I wouldn't call using a keyboard and a mouse tricky because you seem to be able to use them to operate this website. I would call it "using more than one thing at once" which is something we do all the time. It's not as simple but any added complexity is not inherently evil. The controls are in no way complex or configured in an awful way. It's just not as exceptionally basic. They're certainly not something you fight against.

• As you say, its not that simple as using the mouse only. If they implent more complex controls, there should be a good reason for it. I clearly dont see any, all it does is enable the coders to do some extra puzzles (like running around the calendar). I just dont see a good reason for it, its not like the coders got uebercreative with puzzle design in the first episode either. (pretty repetitive puzzles)

Another thing that also bugged me was item combining. Why do we have to put both items in predefined fields, instead of just clicking one item and place it on top of the other.

Add Comment