User Avatar Image

LucasArts Star Wars games! (don't lynch me)

posted by S@bre on - last edited - Viewed by 257 users

He mentioned Star Wars! String the heathen up!

I was thinking, since LucasArts has made something of a repayment for the events of 2004, I'd be interested to see what the opinions of Star Wars games are around here. We here all, no doubt, remember LucasArts for its adventure games, and although the company lost itself in mediocre Star Wars games after Sam & Max: Freelance Police, there were some really good ones out there, ones that stand the testament of time simply as great games, regardless of the fact they're in the Star Wars franchise.

So the question goes out: what's your favorite LucasArts Star Wars games, and why?

Mine's got to be the X-Wing series, I loved the more "realistic" depiction of space combat simulation(contrast against arcade-ish Rogue Squadron), and the plots of TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance were fantastic. Playing the bad guy has never been better anywhere other than TIE Fighter. I fear we will never see the like of that again from LucasArts, as the games were sufficiently complicated in controls, functions, power settings, etc, that I doubt they'd pass the user-friendly/dumbed-down-enough threshold if released nowadays. The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series come in a close second for me.

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think it's going to take people a long time to realize their irritation should be directed to Jim Ward and not LucasArts.

• The Super Star Wars series on the SNES.

• I went for Republic Commando, that game completely sucked me in and it made a nice change to play a Jedi-free Star Wars game. Jedi Knight closely follows though...

• I'm a huge Bioware and Sony fan. So for Star Wars games, I was completely sucked into KOTOR and also Galaxy (before they spoil the game).

Errr... what was the question about LucasArts again?

• @Toothless Gibbon said: The Super Star Wars series on the SNES.

Oh yeah. That was fun.

• @smashing said: I'm a huge Bioware and Sony fan. So for Star Wars games, I was completely sucked into KOTOR and also Galaxy (before they spoil the game).

Errr... what was the question about LucasArts again?

Can't really get into KOTOR, I've tried a couple of times with no joy.

• I never really got into any Star Wars games. I do remember Dark Forces and Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, which were rather straightforward shooters I somewhat enjoyed. I also remember playing Rebel Assault, but I didn't really like it. The FMV stuff was considered impressive then, but the gameplay wasn't exactly mindblowing.

• @guitarsareboring said: Can't really get into KOTOR, I've tried a couple of times with no joy.

It's one of the few Star Wars game that actually have a good storyline. One of the few that you don't get frustrated and die, just because you can't time the light-saber properly to deflect laser beam.

Yar yar... the starting of the game is just like any typical starting, with the protagonist not having a memory, waking up on a bed, heading to the academy to train, yada yada. However, the ability to have choices to affect the storyline (and ending) is just great.

I can't wait for the KOTOR MMO to come out. Can anyone put me in a cryogenic chamber and take me out when the MMO is released?

• Please
    no
    more
    Star Wars
    games.

Remember the days when LucasFilm and LucasArts were innovative? This franchise killed all that. As a boy i loved the first three Star Wars movies and i used to play The Empire Strikes Back on a VCS2600 but now it's just enough. Maybe after a looong break and when they return with something original again.

• @taumel said: Please
    no
    more
    Star Wars
    games.

Remember the days when LucasFilm and LucasArts were innovative? This franchise killed all that. As a boy i loved the first Star Wars movies and i used to play The Empire Strikes Back on a VCS2600 but now it's just enough. Maybe after a long break and when they return with something original again.

How
    can
    you
    not
    love
    the
    idea
    of
    a
    new
    Star
    Wars