User Avatar Image

Gamepad controls are BAD!

posted by Hitman on - last edited - Viewed by 339 users

Many of you have expressed their feelings about the lack of a true point and click interface for the movement, but I have nothing against it. In fact, I like it better to control the character directly and only use the mouse for objects. It worked excellent in Wallace and Gromit. As the producers pointed out in another topic, it's nearly impossible to make the character move "off screen" with a point and click interface. Plus, the games look much more cinematic this way, a thing that I greatly enjoy.

My complain is that the CONTROLLERS are just messed up. Why on earth make the game playable with a controller, if you still need the mouse to use objects? It just defies my comprehension. I wanted to use the XBOX 360 controller for ToMI, playing it away from the PC, but it seems that this will not be possible (I don't have the full game yet, I'm waiting for the DVD to come out). Wallace and Gromit had full support for the controller (probably because it came out on the 360 also). Now it just annoys me that I will not be able to play it properly with a controller. Who ever heard of a mouse and controller combination? "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?"

Is there any chance for this abominable control scheme to change for the next episodes and have full controller support? The game would be just perfect if proper control for gamepads would be implemented. By proper control I mean the hotspot cycling system, just like in Wallace and Gromit! No mouse pointer whatsoever!

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, I would like complete gamepad support like W&G as well... only I would have asked with a little more aplomb... :p

• You should see me on thanksgiving! :p

But seriously now, I don't think that I was too "loud" about it. It's just that once you get a good control scheme for a gamepad, like in W&G, why on earth change it and leave the game half made (on the control side)? It makes no sense. Either do keyboard&mouse, or gamepad only.

And the trick of using the right stick as a mouse is not my idea of fun. It just doesn't work. Scanning the entire screen with a stick gets boring and irritating REALLY fast.

• Hmm... I'm going on a hunch here, but I think the control makes a lot of sense with the wiimote and nunchuk. Scrolling around the screen with a pointer from the wiimote is great and using nunchuk for movement is quite natural too.

It is not that unnatural with mouse and keyboard as well, just that a manual could've helped much more in explaining which keys to use.

It is not made for the gamepad at the moment, as there are already a lot of signs that the game is being rushed. But Yare did comment on a locked post that they will definitely be working to improve controls, and making it work on a gamepad may not be that far from reality.

• That's good to hear. I also had a sneaky suspicion that the Wii is behind this semi-broken controller setup, with the stick in the left hand and the Wiimote acting as the mouse in the other. That's exactly why I would have preffered to see the game being released on the 360 instead of the Wii, just like they did with Wallace & Gromit. At least that would have ment decent gamepad input.

But here's the catch. If they improve future episodes to the hotspot method used in W&G, will they also update the first chapter at the time of the game's release on DVD?

• @Hitman said: "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?"

OMG the angry video game nerd.

• @der_ketzer said: OMG the angry video game nerd.

At least this nerd is progressive and not retro. Not your typical "I want POINT AND CLICK" kinda anger.

@der_ketzer said: That's good to hear. I also had a sneaky suspicion that the Wii is behind this semi-broken controller setup, with the stick in the left hand and the Wiimote acting as the mouse in the other. That's exactly why I would have preffered to see the game being released on the 360 instead of the Wii, just like they did with Wallace & Gromit. At least that would have ment decent gamepad input.

Argh! Not another 'wii-mote suck' comment!

As much as you may not like the wii, you have to admit to the fact that wii reaches to a different audience than the 360 will. Wiimote removes the stigma of the hardcore gamers, typically perceived as a guy with reflective spectacles, eating the pretzels, scratching his backside and focusing on nothing in the world, but the screen and firmly gripping on his gamepad in one hand. I believe it is really intentional to explore the wii as a platform, as adventure games are much more acceptable to the casual gaming crowd than the a lot of other genres.

• I seem to remember reading a post about something to do with the hotspot selection not being completed by the time ep.1 was released. That is why the controller is only partially supported (assuming my memory is correct).

As for mouse and controller control for the game, you should try it before you knock it. It actually works really well. here's my opinion on stick+mouse control in more detail.

• I think I found the post. It wasn't that they didn't get it completed, it was that they didn't have time to implement it at all.

@[TTG said: Yare;150700'][QUOTE=taumel;150668]So there are no plans for fixing the game controller then?

Probably if a 360 or PSN port gets done. I was pulled on pretty late to get mouse controls going for MI, and there was no time to even think about getting the W&G hotspot selection stuff running.

MI branches from the Sam & Max scripts, and it doesn't really have much in common with the W&G scripts so porting tech from one to another takes some work.[/QUOTE]

• User Avatar Image
    DPB

@Shmeh said: As for mouse and controller control for the game, you should try it before you knock it. It actually works really well. here's my opinion on stick+mouse control in more detail.

Only if you're right-handed.

Add Comment