User Avatar Image

Tarot cards as collectable ?

posted by Whitheaven on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

May we dream about the putting on sale of Tarot cards like we can see in the wallpaper which is won with "Treasure Hunt" ?

144 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • We can all dream. Those cards are just awesome!

• That would be cool, but as has been said several times, there are complications with producing merch for Monkey Island, as Lucasarts own the rights to it.

• The cards in the Treasure Hunt Wallpaper are simply AMAZING. My main issue with that wallpaper is the Voodoo Lady, actually. Don't get me wrong, the model is GREAT in-game. But I think there is a bit of a stylistic clash between the cards and the Voodoo Lady herself.

And to be truly on-topic, having those voodoo cards in the store or as a bonus in something like the Sam and Max Case File would be awesome.

• @Pale Man said: That would be cool, but as has been said several times, there are complications with producing merch for Monkey Island, as Lucasarts own the rights to it.

Arrr, get your swords and let us take away this license from LucasArts!

Seriously, I have nothing against LucasArts and they are doing some new MI stuff right now (Special Edition, Merchandise), but I think Monkey Island would have a much brighter future here at Telltale than at LucasArts.
    Even if LA decides to do a completly new Monkey Island game after the success of Tales (at least I hope it'll be a huuuge success), the real masterminds are here, not there.

To say something more on-topic: Yeah, those cards would be nice, as would any MI merchandise.

• I at least hope for a poster.

• Maybe I'm saying something stupid, but the artists who did the designs for these tarot cards are Telltale staff, right?
    So I think you should be able to sell these card on your store if there's no explicit Monkey Island reference on them (even if WE know they are Monke Island-related)

• @Javi-Wan Kenobi said: Maybe I'm saying something stupid, but the artists who did the designs for these tarot cards are Telltale staff, right?
    So I think you should be able to sell these card on your store if there's no explicit Monkey Island reference on them (even if WE know they are Monke Island-related)

They were created for the Monkey Island franchise under license from LucasArts. I'm not sure if it falls under "commission work" or how it is legally defined, but I'm pretty sure that they couldn't sell merchandise related to the game without LucasArts approval.

Whatever the case, I know it's not as simple as walking up to Steve Purcell and saying "Hey, do you think this is cool?"

• I'm curious...do we have any official confirmation anywhere that Telltale only got the rights to produce the series, and not merchandise related to the series?

I've heard lots of people speculate that that is the case, but I haven't seen anything anywhere to confirm it.

It just seems odd that they would restrict the licensing to the software product only, especially when ancillary products could be used for purposes of cross-promotion.

Lorn

• if they couldn't sell them maybe they could later in the season make a printable set of the tarot cards as a prize for the treasure hunt or something...

Add Comment