User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

posted by cywarlock on - last edited - Viewed by 6.2K users

I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The iphone is more powerful than the Wii? I'm not sure if that's true considering none of its games so far achieve anywhere near even GameCube standards, being closer to PS1 quality in terms of visuals. I'm also not sure how relevant it is to this discussion. Random commentary? Ok, sure.

If the game has issues, it's up to Telltale. If the game was impossible to port, you should not port it. If your programmers can't take advantage of the Wii's architecture, so very different to the other systems as it is, you should not port it. If the game has issues that are actually resolvable with more time, you should not release until they're resolved.

Yes, the WiiWare limit is VERY strict. TOO strict. Why not release on disc like Sam & Max? Not to mention that, if assets have to be reduced SO much for WiiWare, that should result in better performance instead of worse.

Telltale games don't look half as good as the average (not the best) GameCube games out there, so to blame a more powerful system for the state of your ports is silly.

You used strong words, yes. Except they also aren't true. In order to use strong words, you usually need strong feelings. With such feelings against the platform you're actually developing for, I'm not sure I trust you to use your ability. The only reason for ugly and underperforming Wii games, especially when it comes to low-budget low-graphical-fidelity titles like Telltale games are, is incompetence.

Btw, heavy PC gamer here, say goodbye to my money despite your games running perfectly smooth on my platform of choice. This attitude I do not, will not, endorse :rolleyes:

I don't see why this post gets deleted. Let's see if it it's a particular word or two I've removed here, or if it's simply the fact you don't want people's opinions here. Might as well close the forums except for a "praise only" thread.

• @Agnates said: Btw, heavy PC gamer here, say goodbye to my money despite your games running perfectly smooth on my platform of choice. This attitude I do not, will not, endorse :rolleyes:

So because of something one employee says as his own opinion completely not representative of the company, you are choosing to deprive yourself from playing amazing games?

Good logic.

• He's allowed to, and with that tag he represents telltale when he speaks, I'm sorry. It's how it works. Like I said, strong feelings require strong emotions and with that I do not trust them to perform to their full ability. If there's one, there's probably more. Yes, it's logic. He chooses to blame the platform for a bad port, I choose to blame telltale when I see employees, which make up telltale, act like this. Good job Yare. I'm outta here.

• I'm not coming down hard one way or another on this, but the truth is if you're posting here as a representative from Telltale, your position is in sales, even if you're an engineer.

Customers love their system of choice, even if it is an underpowered toaster. :)

• Yeah I hope they don't have to compromise the pc version to cope with the wiiware problems

In my opinion, Tales of MI has worse graphics (less detailed textures, and less detailed locations) than Wallace & Gromit, so the Wiiware version IS compromising the PC version... :mad:

• @Megaace said: so the Wiiware version IS compromising the PC version... :mad:

I really don't think so. As far as I understand it the PC version would be the one created first and any ports, like the Wii version, are derived from that PC version. So there is no need to compromise the PC version and so why would they?

• @corruptbiggins said: I really don't think so. As far as I understand it the PC version would be the one created first and any ports, like the Wii version, are derived from that PC version. So there is no need to compromise the PC version and so why would they?

The idea is that you could avoid problems down the line if you take eventual porting into account when putting together the PC version.

• @Agnates said: He's allowed to, and with that tag he represents telltale when he speaks, I'm sorry. It's how it works. Like I said, strong feelings require strong emotions and with that I do not trust them to perform to their full ability. If there's one, there's probably more. Yes, it's logic. He chooses to blame the platform for a bad port, I choose to blame telltale when I see employees, which make up telltale, act like this. Good job Yare. I'm outta here.

It wasn't my intent to "blame" the platform for the performance, I just thought some people might be interested in an explanation of how game development works, why the Wii version has lower quality voice, higher compression, and so on. However, it's our job to make a game work well no matter what platform we decide to release it on, and as a customer you are right to be concerned with the price/quality of the final product and not the development process.

Official word on this issue will be provided by Will, most likely in this thread:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=173147&postcount=16

• @[TTG said: Yare;172300']The voices and textures are the way they are because we're limited to 40 megs for WiiWare titles. The PC versions of our games are usually 150+ megs, and most modern games range anywhere from 1-10 gigabytes or more. Talk to Nintendo about this one.

Frame rate issues will probably get sorted out eventually, but keep in mind that the Wii is just not a powerful console. An iPhone is much more powerful than a Wii, even.

This kind of comments makes you, and the company you work for, look terribly bad at the eyes of everyone. The fact that you didn't suceed in making something that functions properly shouldn't be blamed on the WII's hardware. Metroid Prime runs without problems, and it is infinitely more beautifull and demanding that anything TellTale ever done. So please, make no excuses. I have a lot of love for TellTale, but these comments have got to go.

• 1.) Why Nintendo doesn't remove the size limitation on WiiWare
    -Because in order to run anything off the SD card, you need an equal amount of space on the Wii Console.
    -Not everyone owns SD cards

2.) Why we havent seen anything better looking than a Wii Game from an iPhone App
    -Because no one wants to sit there and wait hours for a 1-3 GB game to download over ATT's network OR WiFi

Not saying I agree or disagree with what this person has said, but seriously people.

This discussion has been closed.