User Avatar Image

Wii Tales of Monkey Island almost unplayable

posted by Surf314 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

I just got the wii version so me and my wife can enjoy it together and it is terrible. It is extremely laggy, sometimes I only hear audio and the video freezes, it chugs between scenes and other stuff, and graphically it's a complete mess.

Please tell me I have a corrupt download or something and this isn't what the wii product is supposed to be like. If it is where can I get a refund? I really want to play these games so I will just get the PC version instead if this is really how the game is on the Wii.

66 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @OCKi said: heh.. this is ridicoulus. Most people KNEW that the game would be compressed to 40 mb, so why the high expectations?

Because all the other games that I have played that are compressed to 40MB run great (VC Games, Megaman9, Final Fantasy 4 After years)

• User Avatar Image
    OMA

@OCKi said: heh.. this is ridicoulus. Most people KNEW that the game would be compressed to 40 mb, so why the high expectations?

We all agree that the 40 MB size limit is the culprit for the bad quality voices,

BUT

the choppiness is not related to the file size limit, it's only Telltale's fault, and should have been addressed BEFORE releasing the game for the Wii, not AFTER, specially if updating an already released game is difficult, as Will is supposing.

It's always better to delay release a few days (or weeks!) than to release a poorly finished product. It gives you a very bad image, even if your game is actually good. Most people upset with chapter 1 won't bother buying chapter 2 even if you resolve the issues, just because of the bad experience they had.

The Wii might be "underpowered" but that's not an excuse to release a game with these issues. The rest of the Wii catalog runs on this underpowered machine as well.

• Well let's not get into this whole conversation again. We've all seen where that road leads.

• User Avatar Image
    OMA

Sorry, I really don't care at all for the "underpowered" bit. I'm not into "fanboyism" ;) I just remembered that from the other thread. But the point I wanted to make is that this Wii release has been rushed and should have been more polished before release. I know (or at least assume) the Wii programmers did the best they could within their timeframe, but I think it was a bad decision to ship it without looking into this issue further.

Edit: As I said above, I don't care about the hardware argument in the other thread, but while reading other gaming sites, I just found these articles. It seems some of them have gone through the trouble of creating articles out of the little chit-chat in these forums. A bit sad, really.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/07/30/iphone-more-powerful-than-wii-telltale-says-yep/
    http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/mobile/telltale-iphone-more-powerful-than-wii-$1315183.htm

After reading those, I tried typing this and, wow!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=telltale+iphone

Incredible what can come out of nothing...

• The lesson from all this is that professional PR people really do earn their keep! ;)

• User Avatar Image
    OMA

Most gaming websites have either:

- Made a story out of a silly argument in a forum as if it was Telltale's official statement
    - Or they copied/plagiarized an entire article from another gaming website, telling the same story

Very "professional" of them.

• Well, I'm glad I downloaded the WAD directly and didn't buy for this. Then again, I just deleted it from my Wii even before reaching the panflet at the boat scene.

Delete my post or ban my account if you may, as you'd probably feel like I'm a pirate. Then again, if I have bought this game before trying it, I'd feel that you owe me my 10 bucks back, because it's a completely disaster of a game.

There are not excuses - part of releasing something for some platform is the ANALYSIS stage. So, how did you analised that it was possible to release in under 40 MB and considering the Wii hardware, if even we simple users see that it's quite a limitation?

Hope some heads are cutted out of this. I'll try to spread "the word" everywhere I can about what "you have done".

Regards,

• Just to quickly get this out of the way: The Wii's lack of power is a FACT. Retail games like Mario Galaxy run smoother because they don't have to uncompress such tightly compressed graphics on the fly. A 9 GB DVD and a 40 MB download aren't comparable.

While Monkey Island runs even worse than Banjo-Tooie did on N64, it's still perfectly playable. The opening is probably the most worst part in both framerate and voice compression, but it gets better after the opening credits (though I'm not very far yet). The faults are definitely noticeable, but no so much as to make the game unplayable. If you're on the fence and your PC isn't up to it, I say go for it. It's too bad the Wii doesn't have XBLA-type trials to see if the game's performance bothers you.

• User Avatar Image
    Ulm

@Will said:
    Now as for the actual problems, it's definitely a topic of discussion around the office, so I don't want anyone to think we are just ignoring it and hoping it will go away. We definitely aren't happy with the fact that not everyone is having an enjoyable experience.

Will,

If you can, you might toss that playing the game in mono causes the audio to pop and crack like crazy into the bug list. I accidentally had it in mono and was really unhappy until I found that out.

(Note, I've finished Episode 1 on my Wii, enjoyed it immensely, and look forward to Episode 2, especially if the 'hitching' is improved...)

• Not even the most CPU-hungry audio codec should consume more than 15% of the Wii's processor time, so the most import factor for framerate is going to be how optimal their graphics engine is. Not to mention that 88 MB of RAM should be plenty of space to decompress things in advance.

The N64 comparison is good. That system had Star Fox 64 (12 MB), Perfect Dark (32 MB), and Conker's Bad Fur Day (64 MB), all games that pulled a good deal of voicework out of their cartridges using only a 94 MHz processor and 4 MB of RAM (8 MB for Perfect Dark). Oh, and then there's the N64 port of Resident Evil 2 which kept the voicework and the FMVs.

Add Comment