User Avatar Image

Wii Tales of Monkey Island almost unplayable

posted by Surf314 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

I just got the wii version so me and my wife can enjoy it together and it is terrible. It is extremely laggy, sometimes I only hear audio and the video freezes, it chugs between scenes and other stuff, and graphically it's a complete mess.

Please tell me I have a corrupt download or something and this isn't what the wii product is supposed to be like. If it is where can I get a refund? I really want to play these games so I will just get the PC version instead if this is really how the game is on the Wii.

66 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes; absolutely right Rumble.

And the whole point is: IF TellTale's engine can't work in the Wii, if 40 MB is too little space or if you have to lower the quality of the game SO MUCH to push a release in such a mainstrem console, then don't release the game there or be prepared to be bashed from everywhere!

Maybe the money-hungriness in them made them "release the game anyway!" to the console, but the fact is that I don't even want to play with a free WAD file.

I'm glad I bought it for the PC and was about to buy it in the Wii also, but I first tried the free download and didn't even play the game for free because its unbereable!

• I really liked the game and I think it's far from being unplayable, but I too have to say that the Wii conversion IS pretty bad. In addition to the mentioned stuff here I like to point out the tiny subtitles. You know, there are some people who still play on a CRT (the Wii doesn't support 720p anyway) and there are some people whose native language isn't English, so clearly readable subtitles are crucial for them. I just think the subtitles are a bit too small for relexed reading.

• Just downloaded the Wiiware version, runs absolutely terrible, how can i get a refund, the lagging gives me a headache! :mad:

• Is there a time frame on the potential fix? Also a good fix would just be to give people a store credit or discount to get the PC game. I'd even be happy to split the difference and take $5 off.

• Add me to the list of people extremely disappointed by the Wii version of ToMI ep 1. I won't be buying another episode until I see thread with the subject "This episode runs MUCH better than episode 1!"

A lot of people are having trouble distinguishing between ToMI the game and ToMI the Wii port, and being able to criticize each individually.

The game looks great, and I really want to play it. It looks like Telltale did an excellent job in extending the MI series, and the writing and puzzles seem spot on.

The problem isn't with the game design, its with the technical side of things. The technical flaws noticeably detract from the game-playing experience, and I really wish that wasn't the case. I REALLY want to play ToMI on my platform of choice, but so far I haven't been provided an enjoyable means to do so.

From another thread:
    @evilmax17 said: I downloaded all 5 episodes of Strong Bad, another WiiWare adventure game developed by Telltale, and it had none of ToMI's problems.

Strong Bad ran at a decent fps and had good quality audio. None of the technical aspects of Strong Bad detracted from the game-playing experience, unlike ToMI ep 1, which is a technical mess.

WiiWare isn't the problem here at all. The same technical problems seen in ToMI can also be seen in the Wii port of Sam & Max season 1. For such a simple looking game (not saying that in a negative way at all), it ran horribly on the Wii. Framerate chugging all over the place and audio not sounding that great.

The problem is that Telltale seems to be having a lot of trouble in porting their PC games to the Wii, and the proof is in the pudding. Sam&Max was technically mediocre, Strong Bad was fine, and ToMI is unplayable.

Put more effort into your ports.

Please Telltale, make this right. Offer a free download of the PC version to anybody dissatisfied with the Wii port. You already got $10 from us, you have nothing to lose by offering a free download to those that could use it.

• I thought I had mentioned this earlier in the thread, but apparently I hadn't! Anyway, for those of you who are pretty unhappy with things, please feel free to email me at support@telltalegames.com

• I sent you a letter

I also sent the following to Nintendo:

Please raise the Wii Ware size limit from 40MB to something reasonable like 100MB. Keeping the Size at 40MB is crippling game developers and limiting the Wii Ware games to reach full potential. Tales of Monkey Island is a perfect example of how the 40MB cap has hurt developers. the games audio has had to be compressed to a point where it sounds awful.

changing the cap to 100MB is completely acceptable since you are now allowing users to store channels on SD Cards. I understand that games are still copied to the Internal Memory, but this is still ok in my book.

(My Name), Long time Nintendo and Monkey Island Fan.

• @questinghero said: I sent you a letter

I also sent the following to Nintendo:

Please raise the Wii Ware size limit from 40MB to something reasonable like 100MB. Keeping the Size at 40MB is crippling game developers and limiting the Wii Ware games to reach full potential. Tales of Monkey Island is a perfect example of how the 40MB cap has hurt developers. the games audio has had to be compressed to a point where it sounds awful.

changing the cap to 100MB is completely acceptable since you are now allowing users to store channels on SD Cards. I understand that games are still copied to the Internal Memory, but this is still ok in my book.

(My Name), Long time Nintendo and Monkey Island Fan.

Odds on, they'll do nothing, especially considering the controversy is manly due to the whole "iPhone > Wii" hoo-hah, and therefore only effects Telltale. That said, the limit is a relic of pre 4.0 firmware, and raising the limit is very possible, especially considering you could have a theoretical 64Gb in addition to the 0.5Gb the Wii comes with.

• @City Of Delusion said: especially considering the controversy is manly due to the whole "iPhone > Wii" hoo-hah

Never, EVER insult someone's Wii! :p

• @City Of Delusion said: especially considering you could have a theoretical 64Gb in addition to the 0.5Gb the Wii comes with.

Fail. There is no addition at all. In fact, there is a "substraction". You have to stay far below 512 MB, because, like Will already stated, for starting an game from SD card, the game is temporarilly copied to the internal flash memory, on which you need enough free space for the game size.

Add Comment