User Avatar Image

Wii Tales of Monkey Island almost unplayable

posted by Surf314 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I just got the wii version so me and my wife can enjoy it together and it is terrible. It is extremely laggy, sometimes I only hear audio and the video freezes, it chugs between scenes and other stuff, and graphically it's a complete mess.

Please tell me I have a corrupt download or something and this isn't what the wii product is supposed to be like. If it is where can I get a refund? I really want to play these games so I will just get the PC version instead if this is really how the game is on the Wii.

66 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I sent you a letter

I also sent the following to Nintendo:

Please raise the Wii Ware size limit from 40MB to something reasonable like 100MB. Keeping the Size at 40MB is crippling game developers and limiting the Wii Ware games to reach full potential. Tales of Monkey Island is a perfect example of how the 40MB cap has hurt developers. the games audio has had to be compressed to a point where it sounds awful.

changing the cap to 100MB is completely acceptable since you are now allowing users to store channels on SD Cards. I understand that games are still copied to the Internal Memory, but this is still ok in my book.

(My Name), Long time Nintendo and Monkey Island Fan.

• @questinghero said: I sent you a letter

I also sent the following to Nintendo:

Please raise the Wii Ware size limit from 40MB to something reasonable like 100MB. Keeping the Size at 40MB is crippling game developers and limiting the Wii Ware games to reach full potential. Tales of Monkey Island is a perfect example of how the 40MB cap has hurt developers. the games audio has had to be compressed to a point where it sounds awful.

changing the cap to 100MB is completely acceptable since you are now allowing users to store channels on SD Cards. I understand that games are still copied to the Internal Memory, but this is still ok in my book.

(My Name), Long time Nintendo and Monkey Island Fan.

Odds on, they'll do nothing, especially considering the controversy is manly due to the whole "iPhone > Wii" hoo-hah, and therefore only effects Telltale. That said, the limit is a relic of pre 4.0 firmware, and raising the limit is very possible, especially considering you could have a theoretical 64Gb in addition to the 0.5Gb the Wii comes with.

• @City Of Delusion said: especially considering the controversy is manly due to the whole "iPhone > Wii" hoo-hah

Never, EVER insult someone's Wii! :p

• @City Of Delusion said: especially considering you could have a theoretical 64Gb in addition to the 0.5Gb the Wii comes with.

Fail. There is no addition at all. In fact, there is a "substraction". You have to stay far below 512 MB, because, like Will already stated, for starting an game from SD card, the game is temporarilly copied to the internal flash memory, on which you need enough free space for the game size.

• @City Of Delusion said: Odds on, they'll do nothing

I agree, but I figure if enough people say something, something might happen.

• Response from Nintendo:

Hello,
    I appreciate your taking the time to share your request that the size limit on Wii Ware be increased. Rest assured that your email will be forwarded on to the appropriate department for further review.
    Sincerely,
    Bruce (Last name removed)
    Nintendo of America Inc.Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
    Power Line (Automated Product Info): (###) ###-####

• @Neoprenanzug said: Fail. There is no addition at all. In fact, there is a "substraction". You have to stay far below 512 MB, because, like Will already stated, for starting an game from SD card, the game is temporarilly copied to the internal flash memory, on which you need enough free space for the game size.

If PSP can handle running games up to 1.8gb directly from a memory stick, why can't Wii run much smaller games from SD cards?

• The Wii could do that, but it's not implemented. And since they statically link the libraries into games, it would only work for games that were built after the functionality is implemented. That is why the current SD card loading function just copies the games: to bypass the need to update the games themselves.

The other potential issue is that SD cards vary in speed. If Nintendo implemented this, they would probably require that any games using this functionality run OK at the lowest SD card speed, rather than telling some customers that their SD cards aren't good enough.

• Not to bring up the topic again, but I'm considering purchasing the later episodes. Despite the quality of 101 I still think the game is solid and I love TellTale.

Question: Has the quality of the last two episodes increased at all? No, please don't answer if you didn't notice quality issues in the first one. I did, and it's enough to prevent me from purchasing the next two episodes. For those of you that did notice the quality issues: Has TellTale improved the game at all for the Wii?

• I can't speak from personal experience, but other people here have said the second episode runs a bit smoother than the first. But I don't think it's a huge difference and I'm guessing if the first episode's framerate bothered you then the second one will too.

Add Comment