User Avatar Image

Please, Please, Please Can We Have A Discworld Game

posted by saltski on - last edited - Viewed by 454 users

The discworld games are the perfect format to be included as with Sam & Max and ToMI, the point and click interface and the 'inane problem solving' would be wonderful. The voices are already in the original games so just an update of graphics would be great. The original games are now very rare to get hold of and would be great to get them onto XBLA or PC.

With the current interest in the Pratchett/Discworld films on Sky they are increasing in popularity in mainstream culture and I'm sure would be very sucessful.

Please Telltale, can you make this happen?

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Are you saying you just want an updated rerelease of the Discworld games that are already out? I can't tell.

• I played the original disc world game a long time ago, and the puzzles were so illogical and obscure that I did not find it enjoyable.

• I've heard that ScummVM's preparing to announce the freewareing of the original games. That said, there may still be a market for a remake (Beneath A Steel Sky, already declared freeware, has recently been ported to the iPhone).

• A remake of the old games would be somewhat counterproductive. New adventures based on the characters and worlds of the books would be preferable in opinion.

• As an incredibly huge Discworld fan who owns all the books, and most of the "special" books, maps, games, music, tv series/telemovies, playscripts[1], badges, and a few figurines and more... I say no.

We don't need more Discworld games. The original three were good, but not brilliant. Most of the problem lies in the fact that the games didn't have much original humour - lots of jokes straight out of the books (no problems there) but everything else they did was not really that funny, and definitely not quite up to scratch with Pratchett's style.

I'm more than happy for us to just keep getting Terry's novels while we still can. Next one (Unseen Academicals) is out in October, and he's started work on the fourth Tiffany Aching book, "I Shall Wear Midnight". Let's hope he can complete that and the third Moist von Lipwig outing "Raising Taxes" (only rumoured at this point) before his Alzheimer's gets too bad.

Let's not pollute Discworld with bad game spinoffs. I mean, I love and trust Telltale, but do you really think they can mimic Pratchett's style of humour?

[1] Including one I adapted myself

• @Molokov said: As an incredibly huge Discworld fan who owns all the books, and most of the "special" books, maps, games, music, tv series/telemovies, playscripts[1], badges, and a few figurines and more... I say no.

We don't need more Discworld games. The original three were good, but not brilliant. Most of the problem lies in the fact that the games didn't have much original humour - lots of jokes straight out of the books (no problems there) but everything else they did was not really that funny, and definitely not quite up to scratch with Pratchett's style.

I'm more than happy for us to just keep getting Terry's novels while we still can. Next one (Unseen Academicals) is out in October, and he's started work on the fourth Tiffany Aching book, "I Shall Wear Midnight". Let's hope he can complete that and the third Moist von Lipwig outing "Raising Taxes" (only rumoured at this point) before his Alzheimer's gets too bad.

Let's not pollute Discworld with bad game spinoffs. I mean, I love and trust Telltale, but do you really think they can mimic Pratchett's style of humour?

[1] Including one I adapted myself

What if Terry Pratchett wrote the storyline? Which is a rare but not unheard of undertaking.

• What if Terry Pratchett wrote the storyline? Which is a rare but not unheard of undertaking.

Beyond ideal, but again, the Alzheimer's

• @Jucius Maximus said: Beyond ideal, but again, the Alzheimer's

Granted, but that hasnt exactly stopped him from writing yet.

• Whatever happened to telltale selling 3rd party games?

• I love Discworld, but it just works better on paper.

Add Comment