User Avatar Image

Lucasarts vs. Telltale, what happens?

posted by alexonfyre on - last edited - Viewed by 227 users

So Craig Derrick, the producer of Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, had the following to say about the game:
If [old and new fans] show up, enjoy the game and want to see more then I think we'll be on the right path to not only do more updates, but all new adventures.

As well we know that ToMI is TTG's best selling series yet (with only 1 episode out!!) and if I were in their shoes, I would be crazy not to be thinking about season 2 for next year sometime already.

So what happens if, with the great sales of SoMI:SE and ToMI, LucasArts and Telltale are both producing new adventures concurrently? How would it effect pricing? LA, which puts most of its boxed games on store shelves for 40 bucks, vs TTG $35 seasons with DVDs released later, in addition they give discounts constantly (which is sweet). I personally would try to buy both, playing the full length LA release in between chapter releases by TTG, but if I had to choose (economy looking as it does now, I might) I would go with the cheaper and proven TTG version. Unless LucasArts when the Digital route and gave us 20 dollar full games on Steam and XBL...then I would be truly conflicted...

But enough of my rambling, what do you guys think?

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hmm, this is a very interesting concept. Personally, although a lot of people don't see this happening/don't want it to happen, I could see a "merging" of sorts between LA and TTG. Not a situation where LA owns TTG just one where maybe LA sponsors and funds TTG's projects. However, I could also see LA trying to straight up buy TTG which I hope doesn't happen.

That's probably a pretty unlikely situation either way though and I see more episodic adventures from TTG while LA would probably release more "blockbuster" retail games.

• @plrichard said: Hmm, this is a very interesting concept. Personally, although a lot of people don't see this happening/don't want it to happen, I could see a "merging" of sorts between LA and TTG. Not a situation where LA owns TTG just one where maybe LA sponsors and funds TTG's projects. However, I could also see LA trying to straight up buy TTG which I hope doesn't happen.

That's probably a pretty unlikely situation either way though and I see more episodic adventures from TTG while LA would probably release more "blockbuster" retail games.

Given the circumstances for the foundation of Telltale, I don't think they'll agree to a buyout at any point. I doubt they would really want to see "marketplace realities" rear their ugly head again.

• Lucas Arts has made no mention of producing new adventure games. I don't think anyone who currently works for them has ever made an adventure game (correct me if I'm wrong).

It is to Lucas Art's advantage right now, to let Telltale do the work, and make money off of royalties.

• But would you buy the episodic content from telltale, or the full release from LA? or do you have the means to buy both at the same time?

@Mad Mage said: Lucas Arts has made no mention of producing new adventure games. I don't think anyone who currently works for them has ever made an adventure game (correct me if I'm wrong).

It is to Lucas Art's advantage right now, to let Telltale do the work, and make money off of royalties.

If you read the original post, the quote that I made was from a LucasArts exec.

• @alexonfyre said: But would you buy the episodic content from telltale, or the full release from LA? or do you have the means to buy both at the same time?

It really depends. I'm very quickly falling in love with Telltale Games and we've all been burned by LucasArts many times before. So like was stated above, it would make more sense for LucasArts to just trust Telltale games with most of their IPs.

And Pale Man, I agree, but part of me wouldn't be surprised in the least if LucasArts tried to do that.

• personally i would buy both... even if i was dirt poor and couldnt afford either of them i would find some way to buy both of them

• Well one huge issue is conflicting story lines. If telltale has Lechuck as this good guy can Lucas Arts make a new game with an evil Lechuck? What about all the new characters each game could introduce? what if Telltale is on episode 3 of next season when LA game came out.

Would not really be good for the series.

• @alexonfyre said: ...As well we know that ToMI is TTG's best selling series yet (with only 1 episode out!!)...

I believe that, I just would like to know where you go that information?

• I love TellTale, but I'd be even more excited for a full scale full budget LucasArts MI

Add Comment