User Avatar Image

Graphic problems, Inventory black, backgrounds black

posted by Edward Alexander on - last edited - Viewed by 328 users

I manage to run Monkey Island, but there are some graphical issues I cant figure.

One of them is when the game itself starts, all I see is the menu with New Game, Quit, etc on a black bacground, then next screen on the intro there are two black square objects floating in the water which I am unable to make out what is.

Then in the game itself things like the Inventory list is all black so I cant see what I have there, and I am unable to play properly because of these issues,

All other graphics seems fine, is there a fix to this or something I can do- not a computer expert but I assume it should be pretty easy to make some sort of patch or fix that can be downloaded to correct this,

Specs of my comp>
Pentium 4 , 3ghz 1gb ram
VIA S3G UniChrome Pro IGP graphics chip, 64 mb
Windows XP

Ps I tried the game on my laptop too, same problems with black inventory etc apeared there as well as other graphical issues and loading very slow.

Thanks and cheers!

8 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Are your video card drivers updated?

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @Edward Alexander said:
    Specs of my comp>
    Pentium 4 , 3ghz 1gb ram
    VIA S3G UniChrome Pro IGP graphics chip, 64 mb
    Windows XP

    Ps I tried the game on my laptop too, same problems with black inventory etc apeared there as well as other graphical issues and loading very slow.

    Thanks and cheers!

    Sadly your graphics chip only supports DirectX 7. The game however requires DirectX 8.1 compatible graphic hardware.

    What graphics chip does the other computer have?

  • Samn and Max worked fine on same comp, is there different specs for this new monkey island games? Quite a shame as Sam and Max worked flawless, and I must be sure a patch
    of some sort can fix the mentioned problems, it is really minor issues such as inventory all black so objects in there are impossible to view etc.

    I did upgrade the chipset drivers which didnt seem to do much, according to the producers drivers page the drivers were from 2009 but when checking it still says 2006 here.

    My other computer, a laptop, has a Intel 82853/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (wow sure some name they give those things!) 64 mb

    Basically the same issues there, black background on intro screen/menu, black inventory but other graphics showing..

    Cheers and thanks

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @Edward Alexander said: Samn and Max worked fine on same comp, is there different specs for this new monkey island games?

    My other computer, a laptop, has a Intel 82853/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (wow sure some name they give those things!) 64 mb

    Basically the same issues there, black background on intro screen/menu, black inventory but other graphics showing..

    The game engine evolved a lot from Sam&Max to Wallace & Gromit and Tales of Monkey island.

    For your Via graphics chip there's nothing that can be done. Others had the same issue with DirectX 7 Graphics Cards which is to be expected. The System requirements for Sam & Max just say "32MB 3D-accelerated video card" for Wallace & Gromit and ToMI it is "Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB recommended) "

    The Intel Graphics chip is a different story. It has been officially stated, that is it not supported here and here, because they are to slow

    If you want to try updating the intel drivers you can use Intels Driver Update Utility.

    I guess both are notebooks, so you can't just get a suitable graphics card?

  • Thanks for the input,

    And one of the comps are stationary the other one a notebook.

    I was just thinking it was strange that the more advanced graphics like main graphics, 3d rendering etc shows fine, but simple 2d graphics like inventory list and bakgrounds dont show. Was hoping there would be a way to patch this or fix it otherwise.

    Not a graphics expert but I would assume making such simpler things showing not too much of a trouble even with older chipsets?

    Regardless, I guess I will have to get a better card when I can afford a good one, as there are other games I have that I cant play due to problems with the current cards, onboard chips truly sucks :)

  • You really don't need anything expensive. 30 bucks and you should be good to go (although you may have to turn the graphics a bit down). I'm playing on an old NVidia 7900 Go GS here.

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @Edward Alexander said:
    Not a graphics expert but I would assume making such simpler things showing not too much of a trouble even with older chipsets?

    Regardless, I guess I will have to get a better card when I can afford a good one, as there are other games I have that I cant play due to problems with the current cards, onboard chips truly sucks :)

    Me neither but you can read more about it here.

    A new graphics card is a good idea. I also bought one, not because it didn't work, but because i wanted it too work well in 1920x1200 resolution and graphics level 9. Since telltales future games will probably have similar requirements i consider it a good investment of 180$ for a Radeon HD 4850.

    If you don't want to spend that much, don't run that insane resolution and are satisfied with a lower graphics level a cheap card will do.
    I have a very nice example for that. The card he bought is in the range of 50$ here and should run a bit better than he states in graphics level 1. Just for your orientation on the graphics card market.

    I assume your system still has an AGP slot?

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @hansschmucker said: You really don't need anything expensive. 30 bucks and you should be good to go (although you may have to turn the graphics a bit down). I'm playing on an old NVidia 7900 Go GS here.

    If he has PCIe there are of course much better options than the one i mentioned before for less $.

Add Comment