User Avatar Image

Hit the Road in the Telltale shop?

posted by bobdevis on - last edited - Viewed by 405 users

Yo, Telltale guys!

You are selling pretty much all there is to have of Sam & Max except Hit the Road.
There is a very quick and easy way to remedy that. Using ScummVM as a wrapper will make any XP/Vista issues non-existent. The GoG shop is doing exactly this for other classic games.
Basically you just need an arrangement with ScummVM and Lucasarts. The technical details are trivial.

It seems to me this arrangement would be beneficial for everyone and you will become the all-time ultimate shop for everything Sam & Max :)

14 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't think they legally have the right to sell the game. LucasArts still owns that.

• I'm sure once Lucasarts decides to do a digital release of Hit the Road, they would certainly consider selling it through Telltale in addition to Steam and other places, simply because Telltale is kind of the home base for Sam and Max fans these days.

• I think they would just sell it on there own website personally

• @Martyr667 said: I think they would just sell it on there own website personally

Lucasarts don't really have a tried and true digital distribution method of their own, though, and I doubt that they're really keen on getting into making one, what with their recent support of Steam.

• LucasArts doesn't seem to like ScummVM. The SCUMM games on Steam use the Windows port of SCUMM. And so does the last re-issue of Hit the Road. If there will be a download release, I'm pretty sure, it will also use the Windows port.

• @LogicDeLuxe said: LucasArts doesn't seem to like ScummVM. The SCUMM games on Steam use the Windows port of SCUMM. And so does the last re-issue of Hit the Road. If there will be a download release, I'm pretty sure, it will also use the Windows port.

This is correct. I also understand that it's fairly easy to make ScummVM compatable with the WindowsPort versions (or at least the Steamed versions), but there's no official support yet.

• Yeah. The communication between LA and ScummVM that public is a cease and desist letter. There has been other communication that has has not been made public though.

I was thinking that LA has an other attitude towards Telltale as I suspect they are very happy with what Telltale is doing with their IP.

Regardless. It is a very odd situation that all S&M stuff is for sale EXCEPT Hit the Road, for no good reason.
    It boils down to telling fans of your franchise to torrent it. This can't be the smart business tactic....

• @bobdevis said: Regardless. It is a very odd situation that all S&M stuff is for sale EXCEPT Hit the Road, for no good reason.

The reason is actually fairly simple. LucasArts owns the rights to Hit the Road, and doesn't want to sell it yet for whatever reason. They could be holding it back for a Special Edition later on.

The reason we have Sam and Max stuff from Telltale is that Steve Purcell owns the characters, not LucasArts. So Telltale don't have to ask Lucasarts permission for anything, they ask Purcell.

• @Rather Dashing said: The reason we have Sam and Max stuff from Telltale is that Steve Purcell owns the characters, not LucasArts. So Telltale don't have to ask Lucasarts permission for anything, they ask Purcell.

Of course, if LucasArts wants to re-issue Hit The Road, they have to ask Purcell, not Telltale.

• @City Of Delusion said: Of course, if LucasArts wants to re-issue Hit The Road, they have to ask Purcell, not Telltale.

It depends on a lot of complicated issues. I'm almost certain they completely own Hit the Road and can release it in any form they want. They certainly own the characters made for Hit the Road(and Freelance Police), and Purcell can't give permission to use those.

Add Comment