User Avatar Image

Model reuse (No blame thread)

posted by Sanin92 on - last edited - Viewed by 350 users

I'm just wondering, what characters had reused models, and what had models just for themselves?

Guybrush of course has a model just ofr himself, right?And I guess LeChuck got one too.

But what about Morgan and Elaine, did they have the same model (body?) or were they completelly different ones?

Newspaper boy, D'oro and the one on Spoon Island where the same, and all the thin pirates too I guess.

But what with Winslow, was he the same fat model?I couldn't really get it, he kinda saw different from all of them, or am I mistaken?

Any other model reuse?

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think the only models (for humans) in the game were Guybrush, LeChuck, Elaine, Voodoo Lady, DeSinge, possibly Morgan, Fat Guy and Thin Guy.

And the mer... persons all had the same model, too, if I saw that right.

• I'm thought Morgan and Elaine were essentially the same model with a few minor tweaks. I'm probably wrong however.

• Winslow was fat guy. I'm getting tired of the model reuse.

• It did get a little annoying. The most annoying thing about it, though, was that the generic fat and thin guys had prominent bulges below their eyes, making them more identifiable (which is bad for a generic model).

• they did a good job in episode two however. the pirates looked different enough not to notice the same models all the time. in the first part is was really worse, especially in that scene were nipperkin walks past winslow. also, at first i though that the glassblower guy was the same pirate that gets punched in the face right after guybrush landed.

so far in spinner cay, the only character were the model reuse bothers me, is winslow. he should have his own model, since he will probably be present in every episode. having him look similar to all the generic pirates is somewhat strange.

well, on the other hand...take a look at escape from monkey island...they had like two models for general pirates as well and they all looked exactly the same..and also quite ugly.

• By doing something interesting with eyes and especially mouths, TT managed to instill some individuality to their stock models. The tall pirate on the shore of Spoon Island is actually done quite well.

• @wisp said: they did a good job in episode two however. the pirates looked different enough not to notice the same models all the time. in the first part is was really worse, especially in that scene were nipperkin walks past winslow. also, at first i though that the glassblower guy was the same pirate that gets punched in the face right after guybrush landed.

so far in spinner cay, the only character were the model reuse bothers me, is winslow. he should have his own model, since he will probably be present in every episode. having him look similar to all the generic pirates is somewhat strange.

well, on the other hand...take a look at escape from monkey island...they had like two models for general pirates as well and they all looked exactly the same..and also quite ugly.

I usually don't quote a whole post, but I agree with everything you said. I too thought the glassblower was the guy you punched in the face. I too got annoyed in the first chapter that there were only 2 ways the characters looked.
    And I too thought chapter two was a lot better. Thanks for that, guys.

It seemed to me that Morgan had bigger thighs than Elaine, but I could be wrong. You don't really see them side by side, or in similar postures, to really compare.

• I still recognized the pirate holding the seahorse artifact despite the recolour.. I'm pretty disappointed. Interesting characters has always been a strongsuit of the series. Make every character memorable or don't make them at all. They might have different voice actors but it's pretty damn obvious and it's really annoying since I can't stand the pear-head model they used for the newspaper guy, D'oro the doll guy, Winslow AND the chubby guy on the beach. I'm always reminded of Jimmy Neutron by that one.

• Episode 2 was better, as 1 was a bit crap.

The model reusing is the only downside of TOMI in my opinion.

• It's weird, because it makes the engine seem VERY limited. I'm sure it wouldn't take THAT long to have different character models. In many games even the players can change the faces and make them look vastly different, so I don't see how Telltale after 3 years wasn't able to improve on this very apparent problem. I still liked chapter 2, but the model reuse is just a big downside... unfortunate really.

Add Comment