User Avatar Image

Multiple spelling / grammar mistakes in Ep. 2 - come on, Telltale!

posted by McMasters on - last edited - Viewed by 532 users

There are a number of simple, simple grammar and spelling mistakes that really make me feel like this game is a rush job. I'm a huge fan, and the game itself is great, but why is it that small game companies always seem to skimp on the QA?

burry, (bury)
'tactition', (tactician)
multiple your / you're mistakes,
an it's / its flop,
and more than one missing period.

Whoever you have on the checking of the subtitles, I'll be honest - you probably pay them more than to just run spellcheck and say it's good. Some you can handwave away with 'that is how they say it', but the rest is sloppy.

I want to see you guys do well, and get more great licenses to reimagine. Little things like this will help, I'm sure.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I saw lots of typos in the review copy. Had hoped they'd be fixed for the general release. It really is distracting :(

• At least it's on time, and we didn't have to wait all day like the first game. Also, turning subtitles off solves it. But, yeah, they could have done better.

• There's even a double-space in the "You're bluffing!" dialogue choice in the last conversation of the episode - two spaces in-between two words in the middle of a sentence instead of one. Bah! I know I'm picky, but there is a fine line, you know?

I'll give the dialogue a run-through for the next episode, no charge, if you want. :) Just give me a thanks, or heck, even put my pets in the pets section. They're sitting right here, I'm sure they'd love it! :)

• Well they do have a timeline.
    And typos can just slip past people.

What matters is that now, lots of people on the forum have mentionned them and hopefully the text will be fixed accordingly.

• Yeah, the spelling errors are fairly irritating.

• @hplikelike said: Also, turning subtitles off solves it. But, yeah, they could have done better.

a) Not great advice for people who have to have subtitles on
    b) Having played the originals, a P&C game (especially Monkey Island) just doesn't feel right without reading the speech as well.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Aye, I was appalled by the spelling mistakes too - as a German (who, granted, studied English)!

Examples:
    After LeCuck's fight with the pirates:
    "I suppose your right, Guybrush"

Final scene:
    "Make you wonder..." instead of "Makes you wonder..."

Also, the subtitles don't settle for a coherent spelling of "Vacaylians". Sometimes it's just "Vacalians".

Seriously. Get that fixed, Telltale! I really don't consider this a "little thing", as McMasters does. :(

• @Slanzinger said: a) Not great advice for people who have to have subtitles on
    b) Having played the originals, a P&C game (especially Monkey Island) just doesn't feel right without reading the speech as well.

c) that doesn't work for the fish joke, which isn't a subtitle

• We are talkin' bout a game of pirates, ya know? Pirates can't speech well, so subtitles are perfect!
    HAR HAR HAR!:D

• @avistew said: Well they do have a timeline.
    And typos can just slip past people.

What matters is that now, lots of people on the forum have mentionned them and hopefully the text will be fixed accordingly.

I wouldn't count these as just a few typos, since they've increased in number compared to the last episode, and unless I'm mistaken, the script must have been shorter for this episode too. It's also not just spelling, but grammar, formatting, and punctuation too, and frequent enough that I'm reminded of the questionable copy editing less than 5 minutes after trying to forget about the last mistake. :(

Add to this the fact that odd event issues remain, like examining a cannon after specific events have occurred giving you a description that no longer makes sense and being able to get an item twice, and I just get the feeling that quality control needs work in parts. :confused:

We can report all the problems as we see them, but it's frustrating because this is what should have been done by QA before it reached us in the first place. The first round of customer playthroughs should not be relied upon as a stage of the QA process. :mad:

Add Comment