User Avatar Image

Message monkeyislandexec102 has stopped working

posted by Caribbean Queen on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Hello - anyone getting this? I updated my Intel graphics driver - now getting "monkeyislandexec102 has stopped working. Windows will close the program and get back to you if a solution is available."

Such a cool game - what am I doing wrong?:confused:

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hey CQ.

I had same problem - I think it was caused by one of two things - I installed the second episode on a different drive from episode 1 and I opted not to let the install process of episode 2 update the Directx drivers.

After I uninstalled episode 2 and installed it again on the same drive as episode one and also allowed it to update the Directx drivers if it wanted to I managed to get past the exec102 stopping problem.

I have now played through to conclusion but have had a couple of blue screens of death that appear to have been triggered in a Directx module - but have also had a slew of MS updates applied to the machine so it is hard to point a definitive finger at any one thing. (Prior to installing Episode 2 and the last set of MS updates this Vista machine has been rock solid).

So I'd suggest uninstalling and letting it update the directx drivers if you did not try this the first time round.

Anybody else having any problems?

Yhhaabor

• Meant to say that this really belongs in the support forum - you'll find more info and help there.

Yhhaabor

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Caribbean Queen said: Hello - anyone getting this? I updated my Intel graphics driver - now getting "monkeyislandexec102 has stopped working. Windows will close the program and get back to you if a solution is available."

Such a cool game - what am I doing wrong?:confused:

Maybe your graphics driver update changed the color depth of your display. It has to be 32 bit, or the game will crash like that.

If that's not it, please give us some information.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.

[*] You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
    [/LIST]

• I bought tales of monkey island chpt 1. but it stops playing after the prologe. I am confused because the demo worked fine.
    i have receantly had a new hard drive put in.
    operating system:Windows vista home premium (6.0 build 6001).
    system manufacturer: Compaq-pressario
    processor:intel pentium dual CPU e2220@2.40ghz (2CPUs), ~2.4ghz
    memory:3060mb RAM
    page file: 1194mb used, 5168mb available
    Direct x 10
    Display Device: intel g33/g31.Express Chipset Family

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@misses holiday said: I bought tales of monkey island chpt 1. but it stops playing after the prologe.

Let's deal with your malware issue first.

• Hi DjNDB. i did the rescue scan and it said i have 1 WARNING? what should i do next?
    does this mean i have a problem im not quite sure what this means?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@misses holiday said: Hi DjNDB. i did the rescue scan and it said i have 1 WARNING? what should i do next?

What exactly did the warning say?

Could you also please make a screenshot of the messages you get that tell you that you should scan your computer and buy stuff?

• i tried to do the screen print but i can't get back to graphical interface, without shutting down the computer. what is it exactly that you want?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@misses holiday said: i tried to do the screen print but i can't get back to graphical interface, without shutting down the computer. what is it exactly that you want?

There are two things i am interested in, in order to identify what might have infected your system
    - The warning message after your malware scan with the cd. You could just write it down or use a camera
    - A screenshot of the messages that tell you to scan

Somehow it feels strange, that you get those messages, but the scan only shows a warning. The screenshot hopefully will make that more clear.

To speed things up, let's start with the game fixing part as well.

Do you get any error message when the game stops?

Since it always crashes after the prologue, it is likely that the installer got corrupted during download. The following procedure should help in that case:

Fresh Download
    Uninstall the game and choose not to delete your save games.
    Then make a clean download as described below, and install it.

Deleting temporary internet files:

Before downloading it again it is generally recommended that you
    delete your browsers cache/temporary internet files so that it is not loaded from there:

Internet Explorer 7: In the menu choose "Extras/Delete Browsing History...". In the resulting Window select "Delete files..." for "Temporary Internet Files".

In recent Firefox and Internet Explorer 8 you can delete the cache/temporary internet files with CTRL-Shift-Del.

In Firefox you would only select "Cache".

In Internet Explorer only select "Temporary Internet Files".
    Uncheck all other boxes in each case.

After installation check if the error still occurs.

If the game still doesn't work, please give us some more information:

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.

[*] You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
    [/LIST]

• The first time I've installed this episode, the launcher screen didn't even come up, and the game crashed.

But today I've read about the new version which was just released. I've uninstalled the previous one, re-downloaded the game today, and installed the new version.

This time, the launcher came up, the game was unlocked, but pressing the launch button brought the message whose snapshot I attach.

I also attach the results of running DXDiag + the text files saved by the Windows when the game crashed (the ones listed in the screenshot) - I can also send the dump file from the same crash, but it takes about 2MB compressed.

Last thing - never had a single problem with any of Telltale's games, including TOMI episode 1, has just checked it again, and it continues to work fine.

Please help - thanks!

Add Comment