User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Marvel

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 683 users

For $4 Billion.

ABC and Miramax do fine under the Disney umbrella, so I'm not worried about "kiddifiying" or the insertion of other Disney-related aspects into the comics. At least, not as a result of Disney being hard-handed about it.

I'd be worried about business bureaucrats getting in the way of good comics, if it wasn't for the fact that Marvel's current comics have all been editorally-mandated slime. Quesada drove the creative force out of Marvel Comics completely, so honestly there's nowhere to go but up in that regard.

The most affect I forsee is Universal losing their Marvel rides in Florida, and Slave Labor Graphics not getting to continue the awesome Gargoyles comics ever.

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Saw that earlier. Sucks.. :/ Islands of Adventure in Florida won't be the same, the Marvel rides were the best part... (Especially the Hulk Roller Coaster...)

I think only time can tell as to how this will go.

• So, should we now be holding our breaths for Disney vs. Capcom? If I can't kick Captain Commando's shiny metal ass with Goofy, I will be a sad, sad panda.

• Oookay... interesting.

But think about it, Warner Brothers vs Disney, Marvel vs DC... now it's all one and the same!

• Actually, I'm not all that surprised. If Disney were to create their own superhero comic series from scratch, I can imagine it turning out a lot like Spiderman at least.

For the sake of the fans, I can't see this being a good or a bad thing. I don't think it'll change.

And for Disney's sake, I don't think they would dare change anything. They wouldn't risk that kind of money!

As for the Marvel rides in Universal... well, I guess they will at some point all get moved to DisneyWorld. Heck, maybe DisneyWorld will even make an entirely new Marvel-themed park. (and the Disneylands of the world could at least come up with a few Marvel rides)

Basically, I don't think the fans have anything to worry about. For that kind of money, surely Disney are going to be sensible about this.

• @ShaggE said: So, should we now be holding our breaths for Disney vs. Capcom? If I can't kick Captain Commando's shiny metal ass with Goofy, I will be a sad, sad panda.

Wrong way round.

I don't know how well this will pan out, it may mean no difference or it may mean a lot of changes, either way it will be interesting to say the least.

• @Rather Dashing said: The most affect I forsee is Universal losing their Marvel rides in Florida, and Slave Labor Graphics not getting to continue the awesome Gargoyles comics ever.

Heh. Speaking of Greg Weisman's baby, his recent project "The Spectactular Spider-Man" reverted to Marvel after some deal work concerning the live-action movie franchise remaining with Sony. I guess that means if the show gets picked up for a third season (and it runs on DisneyXD already), he's working for Disney once again.

@Rather Dashing said: But think about it, Disney vs Warner Brothers, Marvel vs DC... now it's all one and the same!

Now they're one and the same. Honestly, I wonder what this means for the planned "Kingdom Comics" Disney announced a few months back.

• @Brainiac said: Heh. Speaking of Greg Weisman's baby, his recent project "The Spectactular Spider-Man" reverted to Marvel after some deal work concerning the live-action movie franchise remaining with Sony. I guess that means if the show gets picked up for a third season (and it runs on DisneyXD already), he's working for Disney once again.

It would be everything I'd ever dreamed...with the wrong show. Seriously, I love Weisman's work on Gargoyles, but Spectacular Spider-Man falls somewhat short of spectacular.

@Brainiac said: Now they're one and the same. Honestly, I wonder what this means for the planned "Kingdom Comics" Disney announced a few months back.

I think the smart thing to do would be to make it an imprint of Marvel, like DC's Vertigo. Put all the resources of Marvel behind it, with the Kingdom imprint working on Disney-related projects.

• ...no more killing for wolverine...this makes me sad...universal studios is gonna suck now

• @Darkblade07 said: ...no more killing for wolverine...

I wouldn't say that. Miramax works just fine under Disney, after all. Besides, Disney would come under ENORMOUS amounts of fire from Marvel fans if Wolvie starts using his blades to become a Benihana chef. I think they'd rather risk a handful of angry letters by the Fox News crowd.

Add Comment