User Avatar Image

Too many sexual references?

posted by Largo_LaGrande on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Not sure if it's just me... this chapter seemed a bit too sexual, including:
- Jerk bait island
- Spoon island
- A bunch of mermaids who seem to be modelled from Thai ladyboys... bunch of jokes surrounding them (including the 1st mate shagging a male one without knowing...)
- That island that sounds like "I love you" or something... where you get a hint that your partner on the ship is gay

These little sexual jokes seemed to saturate the chapter, and in my view weren't really in line with the kinda humour I enjoyed in MI 1, 2 & 3... such humour was a LOT more subtle (particularly in the first 2) I believe...

Not sure if it's just me getting old, and being less fun? ;)

204 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Not enough sexual references for me.

• @pilouuuu said: Not enough sexual references for me.

I'm in a minority then looks like :)

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

I think you're trying to see too hard. Take it easy, enjoy the ride

• Jerkbait? Spoon? What are you talking about? I never noticed these so called "sexual" references. I think you have too much info on Thai ladyboys, maybe the problem isn't really in the game.

• Jerk Bait is something you could do fishing...

A spinner is also something you use fishing.

As well as a spoon.

There are other way more interesting stuff in the game though. :)

• You're being too hard on the game. A lot of people have these weird complaints, and shove them down our throats until we're forced to believe it. You erect this mythology of innuendo where none exists, without any hard and firm basis for the claims.

I believe that we really should learn to affirm and re-affirm our claims if we want to be upstanding members of this forum community...and we should wipe away the mess of ignorance and misinformation from the face of the boards.

Your examples aren't strong enough, leaving your argument limp and flaccid. Your weak examples are unable to penetrate anything but those that accept it already. To really enter the rest of the community, you have to ram them repeatedly with solid and firm examples, grounded in facts and well-explained.

• @Rather Dashing said: You're being too hard on the game. A lot of people have these weird complaints, and shove them down our throats until we're forced to believe it. You erect this mythology of innuendo where none exists, without any hard and firm basis for the claims.

I believe that we really should learn to affirm and re-affirm our claims if we want to be upstanding members of this forum community...and we should wipe away the mess of ignorance and misinformation from the face of the boards.

Your examples aren't strong enough, leaving your argument limp and flaccid. Your weak examples are unable to penetrate anything but those that accept it already. To really enter the rest of the community, you have to ram them repeatedly with solid and firm examples, grounded in facts and well-explained.

That's what she said.

• @Rather Dashing said: Your examples aren't strong enough, leaving your argument limp and flaccid. Your weak examples are unable to penetrate anything but those that accept it already. To really enter the rest of the community, you have to ram them repeatedly with solid and firm examples, grounded in facts and well-explained.

I'm not here to get into a heated debate, but if you want to discuss some of the specific points with me then I'll be glad to respond.

To those who say "it's only you... these CAN be normal things..." have you ever heard of puns before? Play MI 1 & 2 NOW... I played them when I was about 12, and all the jokes were safe. Now I go back and play and am thinking aaaaaaw... I never picked that one when I was young! Something that really makes Monkey Island is the abundance of a lot of really dodgy puns... they're EVERYWHERE and it's really funny.

- Isle of Ewe... prompting Guybrush to say "I love you" to the fat guy. He responds by saying something like "oh do you? Cool, I'm interested! But uuum... lets discuss it a little later..." **GAY JOKE**
    - Guybrush asks the fat guy "how do you tell the difference between the boys and the girls" (something along those lines... he says he's found out the hard way. **LADYBOY JOKE**
    - The voodoo lady's boobs on the secret island... "nice cans"... and you can get a close-up of her tits... **BOOBS JOKE**
    - Jerk Bait island is just randomly the island where these gender-confused creatures live, and at the same time they all try to hit on Guybrush as he walks past "hey sexy legs!!"...etc. **IT'S NOT UNINTENTIONAL...*
    - Spoon Island... note: spooning is having sex... where you lie like spoons (legs bent the same way) give another reason why it's called Spoon Island... it's soooo intentional! **SEX JOKE**

They're not even subtle to be honest... they're all VERY intentional. I think most would find them funny... I do! But I think this chapter's saturated with them and they could have laid off them a bit (no pun intended.)

I like the game... just saying... this chapter's peppered with dirty jokes/puns. The 1st wasn't... guessing the 3rd won't either...

• @Kolgax said: Jerk Bait is something you could do fishing...

A spinner is also something you use fishing.

As well as a spoon.

There are other way more interesting stuff in the game though. :)

C'mon... Isle of Ewe... they even give away why it was called the Isle of Ewe!!! The islands have always had VERY intentional names that related with their contents, are ALWAYS puns about something funny. Play the whole series! They are ALWAYS puns... no exceptions!

The game wouldn't be true to its form if they were unintentional/random names with no puns involved.

• @Largo_LaGrande said: Not sure if it's just me... this chapter seemed a bit too sexual, including:
    - Jerk bait island
    - Spoon island
    - A bunch of mermaids who seem to be modelled from Thai ladyboys... bunch of jokes surrounding them (including the 1st mate shagging a male one without knowing...)
    - That island that sounds like "I love you" or something... where you get a hint that your partner on the ship is gay

These little sexual jokes seemed to saturate the chapter, and in my view weren't really in line with the kinda humour I enjoyed in MI 1, 2 & 3... such humour was a LOT more subtle (particularly in the first 2) I believe...

Not sure if it's just me getting old, and being less fun? ;)

I can't take this seriously from a guy who wears a bra...:p

Add Comment