User Avatar Image

Lucasarts - Monkey Island 5 for reals?

posted by syrup on - last edited - Viewed by 724 users

So, apparently, Lucasarts are due to announce a brand new game title, which goes "back to their roots". With new president Daryll Rodriguez, who is said to be a huge adventure game fan, i'm putting my money on a brand new original Monkey Island title. The reason for this? Simples, both Lucasarts and telltale have created Monkey Island mania recently. LA have released the Mi:SE and telltale are weening us back on guybrush's teet with Tales. We are hooked and i think it's a no-brainer that LA will make a bundle on this as they've started the renaissance of adventure gaming and MI is hot property at the moment.

All the old titles have been made available via Steam downloads and we are all feeling the point and click nostalgia. We've got the fever, and they can finally make a profit on this once dying genre. Not only that but these games we love so much are finding new homes on an increasing amount of platforms. The Wii's wand system supports point and click interface and we've already seen games like Broken Sword and Zack and Wiki, which not only appeal to existing fans but are drawing in a new audience. Combine that with telltales contribution of their titles to WiiWare and we can see it an obvious choice to cater for an all new title from LA. MI:SE has been released on XBOX LIVE so, again, console gamers are getting sucked into the world of pointing and clicking, it can only be a good thing!

There's no better way to kick off the resurgence of adventure games than an all new MI title, it's the logical choice. We get what we've dreamed off for the last 10 years since the release of the last "true" Monkey Island, and Lucasarts make a bundle by cashing in on Guybrush fever. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to cash in on this, i'm just saying that now it's profitable, it will happen sooner or later.

Even if this big announcement that's got me so excited isn't Monkey Island 5, it's going to be awesome either way as we could be getting an all new adventure game altogether, or maybe Grim Fandango 2?

Your thoughts?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-222-gametrailers-tv/55677

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Announcing a Monkey Island 5 while Tales is going on would be weird.
    My (easy) bet is on Lucidity. ;)

• I wonder what people expect from a LA Monkey Island. I don't think anyone who ever had a significant role in one of the previous titles still works there. Also those who can't warm up to Tales can't look forward to anything involving Ron Gilbert or (for those CMI fans) Bill Tiller.
    That, and I found SoMI:SE quite dreadful and couldn't bring myself to finish it. No problem replaying the original over and over again though.

• back to their roots, all the way back to their first star wars game.

• Lucidity does seem to be a front runner, i just hope it isn't confined to one platform. In fact, i just hope it's a return to the old school and we get a game that harks back to the good old days of 2d cartoon style animation.

If it's a Star Wars game, i'll be thoroughly gutted.

• Huh, why would LA make another Monkey Island game, when we have offical (and great) one from Telltale?
    I do hope the "yet-to-be-announced" game will be something completely new (Lucidity?).
    To be frank, I'd rather see Telltale deal with their past golden licences (Day of the Tentacle, etc.), as they have already proved they can handle them the best way possible.. while LA.. let's just say, I hope they still possess enough talent and will to return to their old glory..

• @Paintbrush said: Huh, why would LA make another Monkey Island game, when we have offical (and great) one from Telltale?
    I do hope the "yet-to-be-announced" game will be something completely new (Lucidity?).
    To be frank, I'd rather see Telltale deal with their past golden licences (Day of the Tentacle, etc.), as they have already proved they can handle them the best way possible.

I think they are, and i do beleive everyone who was on the original will be helping out, I only say this because while I was at pax, one of the LA team was out smoking, and he said that SMI sold very well, and that they had a suprise in hold for us...so I guess that means MI5 or they're re-releasing Le chucks revenge and Curse in a bundle.

• @Paintbrush said: Huh, why would LA make another Monkey Island game, when we have offical (and great) one from Telltale?
    To be frank, I'd rather see Telltale deal with their past golden licences (Day of the Tentacle, etc.), as they have already proved they can handle them the best way possible.. while LA.. let's just say, I hope they still possess enough talent and will to return to their old glory..

I'd love to see telltale do something with titles like DOTT but, rather than the episodic format, i'd prefer a full game we can play from start to finish, something i can really get my teeth into. I can't help be feel slightly put off by the current format, they tend to be far to easy to complete, just as you start to get into it you've finished it and then your left waiting for the next chapter. Even with an untouched full season at hand, it still seems a little disjointed, and that magic that made the older titles so appealing has been lost.

I fired up scummvm last night and started on DOTT, which i haven't touched in years, and i was hooked straight away. Not having played this in a long while i'd forgotten the narrative of the game and alot of the puzzles, i just fell straight back into it. It seems hard to keep the flow with episodes as opposed to a full game.

Tales is a massive improvement on Sam & Max, but there's still something about it that's missing and i can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe i'm just growing out of games but, saying that, i can sit and play the old point and click titles until the cows come home.

Add Comment