User Avatar Image

The new games will never live up to the originals.

posted by StoutFiles on - last edited - Viewed by 364 users

Why? Mostly because you're older.

A lot of people here LOVE the first two Monkey Island games and I would have to agree with them; they're great games. However, my favorite game is Curse because, well, I started with Curse. I have a good feeling that the first game you play will beat out the others due to the nostalgia factor, and the notion that games are more enthralling when you're younger. To play the previous two I waited years before I found them in a vintage pack of LucasArts games.

You could probably write an equation for it. Fun = Quality / abs[13 - Age].

Fun would be maximized around Age 13...still young enough to really enjoy games but not too young to be confused on the puzzles or understand the jokes.

I believe all the MI games had great quality and would then be a toss up based on when you played them. As for EMI, the departure from clickable items to "Guybrush head-turners", along with the convulted plot made that game a little less exciting than the three. I'd still argue it's a good game though, and had it been my first I'd enjoy it a lot more.

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Speak for yourself - I still play them like I did as a child in the 90s. :) And I do love Tales. My dream would be to have them and Escape in 2D, though, I hate 3D graphics in adventure games...

• Meh. Curse is still the best MI game. :p

• @PyriteParrot said: Speak for yourself - I still play them like I did as a child in the 90s. :) And I do love Tales. My dream would be to have them and Escape in 2D, though, I hate 3D graphics in adventure games...

You disagree yet you wish adventure games would go back to the way they used to be? Ok...

I'm not saying I don't enjoy games as much now...they just aren't as captivating when you're younger, have much more free time, and a greater imagination.

• Well I'm still pretty mucha kid sooooo.... I guess Tales is pretty awesome still. Although I do love the first two more than most things in life so, yeah.

• @StoutFiles said: I'm not saying I don't enjoy games as much now...they just aren't as captivating when you're younger, have much more free time, and a greater imagination.

Then I suggest you turn your computer off, sit in a corner, close your eyes and imagine away. You'll have more fun, and it will be alot cheaper!

I've been playing computer games since there were computer games, and I try not to let a sense of "Old Fogeyism" set in. Where I'm sitting on my rocking chair and scowling at the younger fellas and their 'new' games, "Kids today! You don't know what fun is!"

• Then I suggest you turn your computer off, sit in a corner, close your eyes and imagine away. You'll have more fun, and it will be alot cheaper!

You're taking it a bit too far...you don't need to get ridiculous. It's common sense that kids have a more active imagination than adults. I guess you can pretend they don't though?

Also, most people here will hopefully admit they put some of their past games up on a unreachable pedestal. For instance, in my case, Goldeneye's multiplayer experience is unbeatable. Is it actually unbeatable? Of course not. However, I can't go back to that age having an all-nighter playing it with friends. Fun times with great nostalgia.

I still enjoy games a lot, which is why I'm playing Tales. Curse was just my first big adventure game experience, and it's unbeatable in that sense. I also assume if I had played MI1 and MI2 before Curse I might have liked those games better as well. People here have said Curse didn't live up to those games...I never had any expectations going in.

I'm NOT saying games are less rewarding now than they were, it's just a different experience. I'm saying that those first games you play are just harder to top based on your first experiences with them.

• StoutFiles, you have earned the Pale Man Stamp of Approval™.

• I can relate to a degree. Not having stress as a kid allowed me to get fully into games and not get distracted by job, girls, bills, drugs, murder, swine flu prevention etc...

I have to allocate my hours in a day for personal time now and it sucks but hey it's apart of life. I'm still enjoying these games, regardless. Just in a differant way.

• @StoutFiles said:
    You could probably write an equation for it. Fun = Quality / abs[13 - Age].

Fun would be maximized around Age 13...still young enough to really enjoy games but not too young to be confused on the puzzles or understand the jokes.

But at age 13, you'd be dividing by zero, causing the universe to implode. Your formula is mathematically impossible. :(

Fun = Quality * (1.13 - Age/100) would be a better formula

(That is, assuming a domain of Age >= 13)

• I really dislike the whole nostalgia argument, because it is impossible to disprove and very easy to throw around - it's basically a variation of "God works in mysterious ways". If people say they prefer the old games to the new ones, try to listen to what they have to say about what they think are missing from the new games, instead of playing the nostalgia card.

Add Comment