User Avatar Image

Are Telltale listening to the complaints about the difficulty-level of their games?

posted by Incognito on - last edited - Viewed by 6.9K users

I haven´t finished the first episode myself yet, but every text you read about the game contains the same pros and cons: Absolutely wonderful presentation, but is soooo easy. Which is the same response the Bone-games got.

Are Telltale listening to this critic, or will the coming episodes have the same diffculty-level?

I´m playing Broken Sword 4 now at the same time, and that is one game that really requires one to think, and adds some very neat minigames and puzzles. Maybe that game can be a source of inspiration for Telltale, to raise the quality of their games from "really good" to "downright excellent"? :)

346 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah raise the difficulty a bit. I've only been stuck twice, and both of those for like 5 minutes. Inventory combinations would help bring the difficulty up.

• Anyone who ties quality to difficulty is an utter moron. Even so, I do agree that from what I've played Culture Shock seems to lack something of Sam & Max's lunacy in its puzzles. I've actually found them more straightforward than The Great Cow Race's.

• I hope they are listening.. :cool:

• @Junkface said: Anyone who ties quality to difficulty is an utter moron. Even so, I do agree that from what I've played Culture Shock seems to lack something of Sam & Max's lunacy in its puzzles. I've actually found them more straightforward than The Great Cow Race's.

Moron? Geezz...

An adventuregame with great presentation and no difficulty = interactive movie
    An adventuregame with great presentation and a healthy difficulty-level = classic.

Im not saying that Telltales games are interactive movies, but every adventuregame needs a bit of a challenge since adventuregames are games.

• That's how I feel I wanna play a game not a story.. but if telltale upped the difficulty level for the next episode sam and max would be near perfect..

If I can go off on a tangent here.. It does kind of bug me that developers are so afraid of making people think.. Even prince of persia:sands of time had a few "adventure game" type thinking elements..when they did warrior within the prince was quickly a generic bad ass, it was now an action game and all those fun puzzles were quickly removed. It's a sad state of gaming is all I can say.. Grim fandango has been the last great adventure challenge (as far as the puzzles) ive played.

• Tobias: If you go to Gametap.com, you'll see that Sam and Max has been the most played game on that network for the past three weeks, and there has not been any adventure games--as far as I recall--in the top rankings, so you might not be entirely correct with your prediction that most players of Culture Shock are experienced adventure gamers. After all, Gametap includes a whole bunch of Sierra's adventure games, a bunch of the Zork adventure games, as well as the Last Express.

• @numble said: Tobias: If you go to Gametap.com

I can't. GameTap is only open to panamericans. Apparently, I'm not welcome over there.

My reasoning still stands though, it's fully possible to trim out some of the bigger puzzles for a "lite" option in the game, as previously shown in other adventure games. No need to disappoint long-time fans just to make it accessible to inexperienced players.

• As to the "light" and "hard" modes, I'd rather Telltale have people get comfortable and then slowly ramp up the difficulty. First off, it's been tried in previous adventure games, but people were still turned off from adventure games as the market showed--people won't try something if it's too hard for them, but definitely don't want to feel that they're too dumb to play the "complete" game.

Secondly, it adds additional work for the team with very little payoff--they've already stated that they're shooting for 4-6 hours per episode, and even the most experienced players are taking 2-3.5 hours already, make it longer and, assuming most people take longer than experienced players, and you end up with game length that is outside their desired goal for episodic games--and many people, especially Gametap players, have been telling Telltale that they find the gameplay length just about right.

There are some people that can beat Super Mario in 10 minutes, but that doesn't mean Nintendo should make an easy/hard mode, or make the game harder for those players.

• I only said to visit Gametap.com, not to subscribe to their service--the website tells you their popular games as well what games they offer. But maybe they block the website so non-americans/non-canadians aren't allowed to visit--I wouldn't know about that.

This discussion has been closed.