User Avatar Image

PC version vs. Wii?

posted by eatonjb on - last edited - Viewed by 328 users

So I jumped the gun and got the Monkey Island for the PC, but I would have loved to play it on the Wii..

is the PC version any better/worse then then Wii version..

anyone return the PC version to get the Wii version, if that is possable?

sigh

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @eatonjb said: So I jumped the gun and got the Monkey Island for the PC, but I would have loved to play it on the Wii..

is the PC version any better/worse then then Wii version..

anyone return the PC version to get the Wii version, if that is possable?

sigh

The PC version looks and runs infinitely better than the Wii version if you've got decent hardware. If your hardware can barely run the game, the Wii version might be a better option as it runs acceptably (but with fairly poor visuals)

If you really are so inclined, you can ask support@telltalegames.com to give you a refund for the game and then purchase it on WiiWare, but as long as your PC can handle it I would recommend the PC version over the WiiWare version.

• The Wii version has lower resolution, framerate and audio quality, so unless you have a computer that struggles with running TMI or you greatly prefer to play games with a wii controller as opposed to mouse and keyboard, the PC version is superiour.

• The controls on the Wii are very nice, although the Wii version doesn't run quite as well, i'd say just pick which one you feel you'd be most comfy and immersed whilst playing

• Depends on what you want, really.

If you want your game to have poor framerate, low resolution and extremely compressed speech... then I'd recommend you get the Wii version.

Otherwise, you might consider keeping the PC version of the game :p

• wow.. the Wii version is that bad huh? well I have the PC version, i would just love playing it on the TV instead of the computer.. well.. i can plug my computer into the TV I guess.. :shrug:

• @eatonjb said: wow.. the Wii version is that bad huh? well I have the PC version, i would just love playing it on the TV instead of the computer.. well.. i can plug my computer into the TV I guess.. :shrug:

That's what I did and it was great

• Also, the Wii version has actual MIDI music while the the PC version has digital recordings from (superior) MIDI hardware/software.

• @eatonjb said: wow.. the Wii version is that bad huh?

The PC version is superior and cheaper. But compared to what else is on offer via wiiware, ToMI is very good on the Wii too, and is a pretty fun experience all round. There are some slowdowns or pauses, but as it's not an action game it really effect the gameplay at all.

The wiiware versions are unfairly ragged on by people who expect the same quality as a full Wii disc retail release.

I hear ToMI ep 2 is smoother than ep on Wii, it's not out here until tomorrow.

• @jp-30 said: The wiiware versions are unfairly ragged on by people who expect the same quality as a full Wii disc retail release.

I think it's fairly ragged on by people.

Reasons the Wii version is not preferable to anyone who can play the PC version:

-At least $15 more(with the PC version getting that free episode and other Telltale bonuses, you can definitely save on ToMI on Wiware)
    -No free disc release, which means no DVD extras
    -Poor resolution
    -Worse audio compression
    -Worse music(separate from the audio compression because the actual recording in this case is different)
    -Telltale is good to its customers. See how they seem to have this habit of giving away free episodes.

Really, the Wii version doesn't work. And it's not the Wii hardware(well, other than the lack of a hard drive), it's the stupid restrictions of Wiiware as a digital distribution platform.

• @Rather Dashing said: I think it's fairly ragged on by people..

Really, the Wii version doesn't work. And it's not the Wii hardware(well, other than the lack of a hard drive), it's the stupid restrictions of Wiiware as a digital distribution platform.

Well, what he was saying is that people are comparing it to disc-based releases, which is pretty unfair. Essentially they're saying a 40mb game should be comparable to a game 100-200 times the size, which is a totally unfair comparison.

Comparing it to other Wiiware is the only fair comparison, and content-wise they've crammed a lot more in than other Wiiware titles, but the limitations of the format have caused a lot of problems, as you've noted.

Add Comment