User Avatar Image

LotL Cliffhanger (or lackthereof) ::Spoiler Warning::

posted by BobTGoldfish on - last edited - Viewed by 240 users

I apologize for starting what is going to me Number 89 of 9,000,000 Chapter 3 threads.

But I wanted to discuss the Cliffhanger.

Or really, the Lack there of.

Chapters one and two left us in REALLY Tense situations
a Sword to Guybrush's throat from an "unknown" assailant
a Our Erstwhile Heroes swallowed alive by a Giant Manatee.

Where as this episode felt Kinda flat.
I'm not sure what it was
I'm not sure if it was the fact that at the end The'Brush was utterly incapacitated, and therefore there was no real "Reaction"
Even with the after Credit sequence.
something still felt flat.

Opinions?
anyone?

52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I actually liked it, because it leads us nicely into the next episode. We'll be taken back to Flotsam, and the courtroom will at last be revealed! You don't need exciting cliffhangers if what you get instead is a quick twist of a character and a foreboding ending. I know what you mean, but I think it was a perfect ending once the dust has settled.

• Episode 3 is by far my favourite. Can't complain about anything at all. And cliffhangers...meh. It's not like I'll go around wondering and thinking about a cliffhanger a whole month. Not every episode needs a huge cliffhanger, this is exciting as is.

• I too was a bit disappointed with the lack of a cliffhanger, but I still enjoyed it.

That was a really enjoyable episode. I liked it as much as ep2. It's kinda hard to judge these episodes on their own, but seriously. I'm gonna say it now.

TOMI is better than Curse.

And it had a cliffhanger. Just not a super cliffhanger.

• I was fine with it. They don't need to keep trying to outdo themselves with every cliffhanger otherwise they'll start forcing it. Also we are invested enough in the story by now to see it through to the end.

• I loved the cliffhangers from the first two episodes, they really hyped me up for the next installments... but i gotta say, getting the credit crawl riffed by you-know-who more than made up for it - the whole credit sequence was a cliffhanger, wondering what would fly out of his mouth... er, jaw next.

• Yeah, it's kinda weird. I hated the fact that EP 1 and 2 would end with a cliffhanger. Then again, the anticipation for the next episode was even greater then - which is not a bad thing. So I kind of got used it to and thus wanted another cliffhanger at the end of EP3. It didn't have the quality of the first two, then again: We all know what happens next, right? We learned about Morgan's mission at the beginning of EP2 and the title of EP4 is pretty unambiguous.

I have to admit though that I almost missed half of the ending sequence as I wanted to just quit the game after I got annoyed by Murray prattling on to the credits. :rolleyes:

• @BobTGoldfish said: I apologize for starting what is going to me Number 89 of 9,000,000 Chapter 3 threads.

But I wanted to discuss the Cliffhanger.

Or really, the Lack there of.

Chapters one and two left us in REALLY Tense situations
    a Sword to Guybrush's throat from an "unknown" assailant
    a Our Erstwhile Heroes swallowed alive by a Giant Manatee.

Where as this episode felt Kinda flat.
    I'm not sure what it was
    I'm not sure if it was the fact that at the end The'Brush was utterly incapacitated, and therefore there was no real "Reaction"
    Even with the after Credit sequence.
    something still felt flat.

Opinions?
    anyone?

I think there's some kind of article I read with Dave Grossman saying that Chapter three would take a step back and let us all breathe rather than increasing the tension like the previous two chapters did with huge cliffhangers. It's the storytelling method of choice. Now the next two chapters can really ramp it up and lead to an explosive ending!

I'd do a Google search for that article if I were you!

• I'm a fairly simple person that enjoys soap operas. If I don't have a cliffhanger at the end of everything I watch, I'm just not satisfied. :)

• If every episode ending with a cliffhanger, then wouldn't that seem a bit forced? Would also diminish the actually good cliffhangers somewhat.

• Nope sorry. I just don't have the imagination or intelligence to look forward to the next part unless they put a cliffhanger at the end.

Add Comment