User Avatar Image

Face-off - any logic to it?

posted by ido on - last edited - Viewed by 981 users

I'm really stuck with the face-off, I just can't find any logic to it, and guessing doesn't work.

I started a fresh game, uncovered all the faces before doing the first real face-off, but still, I can only pass the first stage.

doing the first stage is easy, 90% of the time I just click randomly and I pass it,
the second one though, never got passed it. I wrote every combination either I or bug-eyed did, and I'm using a new combination, with items neither of us used (the ones I got from the puzzles)

but still, I only get nothing at all, or "partially-original", what? it brand new!

please help, I'm stuck on this.

to the developers - sorry, I really liked the episodes so far, but this puzzle is just plain bad. the only way to win is to memorize 64 combinations and see which ones are original? no logic, just plain luck? this bites, especially if you didn't save before you started and just wasted combinations until you find all the faces, like I did on the first run.
please disregard this rant if there is some hidden logic which I haven't found yet.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The logic is you can't use any of the eyebrows, eyes, or mouth that have already been used in that match. I don't think previous matches count.

If Bugeye starts with eyebrow 2, eye 1, and mouth 3, you can use any eyebrow but 2, any eye but 1, and any mouth but 3. Let's say you use eyebrow 4, eye 2, and mouth 1.

The next round, Bugeye starts, and he'll use an eyebrow that hasn't been used, an eye that hasn't been used, and a mouth that hasn't been used. You then have to pick the only eyebrow, eye, and mouth that have not been used.

I hope this helps!

• So this is one of those annoying puzzles that forces one out of the game itself and requires the use of pencil and paper to remember who's used what face already? (Just one paper/pencil exercise with the map/animal sounds in ToMI1 was more than enough.)

And: Is a face "disqualified" if even one of the expressions has already been used?

Developers, this is a seriously annoying puzzle -- and not in a good way, but in a tedious way... almost as tedious as the original swordfight/insult puzzle. It probably ran great in the lab, but after eight tries at face-off, I'm frustrated and bored.

• @J-Arrr! said: So this is one of those annoying puzzles that forces one out of the game itself and requires the use of pencil and paper to remember who's used what face already? (Just one paper/pencil exercise with the map/animal sounds in ToMI1 was more than enough.)

And: Is a face "disqualified" if even one of the expressions has already been used?

Developers, this is a seriously annoying puzzle -- and not in a good way, but in a tedious way... almost as tedious as the original swordfight/insult puzzle. It probably ran great in the lab, but after eight tries at face-off, I'm frustrated and bored.

I don't think you really need a pencil and paper to do it, coz its not too difficult to remember those, but if you really need to, I guess you can use them.

• @OzzieMonkey said: I don't think you really need a pencil and paper to do it, coz its not too difficult to remember those, but if you really need to, I guess you can use them.

Not too great with memorization of even short lists. LOL I'll walk away from it for a day or two -- that may help.

• @J-Arrr! said: So this is one of those annoying puzzles that forces one out of the game itself and requires the use of pencil and paper to remember who's used what face already? (Just one paper/pencil exercise with the map/animal sounds in ToMI1 was more than enough.)

It's pen and paper, but you've gotta have a few of those puzzles. They're fun.

• all you have to do is look at the list:

Brows
    1 3
    2 4

Eyes
    5 7
    6 8

Mouth
    9 11
    10 12

If he picks 3.5.10 the first time, pick 4.6.9. Then you know never to pick anything in those columns:

Brows
    1 X
    2 X

Eyes

Mouth

All you have to do is pick the other expression in the same column that he picked both times. You can do the same thing with rows instead. pencil and/or paper not remotely necessary.

• If Bugeye starts with angry cross-eyed gomer then for the rest of the match neither combatant can use angry, cross-eyed or gomer on any of their faces. If you were to use angry tweeking monkey against it it wouldn't work becasue angry has already been used.

After the first round six words out of the twelve should have been used. Bugeye will then use another three words. All you have to do is use the three words that haven't been used yet in either round.

It's not broken, you just have to know how it works.

• User Avatar Image
    ido

I've passed the face-off game,
    I first understood it as: the combination should be unique (between games)
    so if I used 1-1-1 and bugeye used 2-4-1, then I can't use those two combinations again (but I can use 1-1-2 for example)

thanks to nWeCinematics I now understand the rules.

I still think that this puzzle is bad (less bad than I thought at first, but still bad)

In "Insult sword fighting game" in the first MI, there was logic to the insults. you had to learn the insults, but once you knew them, they were just the logical comeback.
    "You fight like a dairy farmer" -> "How appropriate. You fight like a cow"

then, when you got to the swords master, all her insults were new, but still, you could choose the right comeback from your stock:
    "I will milk every drop of blood from your body!" -> "How appropriate. You fight like a cow"

here, there is no logical rule, just "choose whichever face hasn't been chosen before"

• @ido said: here, there is no logical rule, just "choose whichever face hasn't been chosen before"

How is that not a logical rule?

• User Avatar Image
    ido

It's a memory rule, not a logical rule.

if we look again at the insult sword-fighting, the first part was logic which could be replaced by memory, I mean you could have memorized the whole response set, but you could also connect between "dairy farmer" and "cow" without actually memorizing it, and the second part (swords master) was pure logical, you needed to connect "milk" to "cow" without ever seeing that insult before.

here, you just memorize, you couldn't apply logic (e.g. "cross-eye" is a response to "lazy-eye") even if you wanted to.

Add Comment