User Avatar Image

Monkey Island Speech Project Birthday Bonanza

posted by Tea on - last edited - Viewed by 328 users

Tomorrow the Monkey Island Speech Project will be one year old. While I'm no longer involved with the project, I can confirm that something will be happening.

It may be big, it may be small. But something's happening. Watch this space.

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Truth be told... I don't think anybody cares anymore. The special edition was f***ing amazing & is 20x better than what a few independent voice actors could do. Just come up with your own game instead of trying to get famous off of somebody else's.

• I agree with roberttitus, you should probably make your own game, considering that the new monkey island has better graphics and excellent voice acting.

• The Special Edition didn't provide voices for the original version. THIS does. They're doing fine work.

• I'd love to see MI1 being hacked so that you can have the voices from the SE in the original. I'm sure there are some skilled enough people to do that.

While I'm not against this project, it'll be difficult to get used. It'll feel more like a dub now, since we're already used to Dominic Armato and co. Kinda like watching Terminator 2 dubbed, but in the same language.

• I'd rather listen to a thousand cats all being slowly murdered at once than play through the Speech Project based on the voices I've heard from it so far.

• I looked around to see examples of the voices.

My ears are bleeding :)

• @Ray-The-Sun said: I looked around to see examples of the voices.

My ears are bleeding :)

Which is the reason that the OP hates the special edition so much. He realizes that he & his crew will never do anywhere near as good of a job as the REAL voice actors did.

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

@roberttitus said: Which is the reason that the OP hates the special edition so much. He realizes that he & his crew will never do anywhere near as good of a job as the REAL voice actors did.

Not at all. The SE ruined my fanboy game with terrible art and (mostly) bad acting.

And who said anything about trying to get famous? Stop being so damn blunt. The project is adding voice to the original game. It'll look good on a CV/resume/whatever it's called this week for the actors and it's a good way to waste away hours of free time. I think you underestimate the word "fan".

Now please, say something nice or nothing at all. We started MISP waaay before the SE was concieved, so I think it's just right that we finish.

• @TheJoe said: Not at all. The SE ruined my fanboy game with terrible art and (mostly) bad acting.

And who said anything about trying to get famous? Stop being so damn blunt. The project is adding voice to the original game. It'll look good on a CV/resume/whatever it's called this week for the actors and it's a good way to waste away hours of free time. I think you underestimate the word "fan".

Now please, say something nice or nothing at all. We started MISP waaay before the SE was concieved, so I think it's just right that we finish.

Well by the posts on here... it seems that your project is the one with bad acting not the special edition. So everybody else on here saying how bad it is (myself included), is no worse of a person than you when it comes to spewing our hate. It seems to me that every time somebody posts a thread about the special edition, you are the first (& more often than not only) person there talking about how crappy it is. Then you get POed everytime somebody puts things how they are. The actors in your version plain out suck. Especially that moron who played Toothrot... He killed the character for me.

• @TheJoe said: Not at all. The SE ruined my fanboy game with terrible art and (mostly) bad acting.

Talk about not saying anything nice. You're probably making someone at LucasArts cry right now - or not because they are professionals who know what they're doing.

The art was different - not the best for that game - but not bad by any means. And the voice acting was "(mostly) 'bad' "? Dominic Armato, Earl Boen, Danny Delk, Alexandra Boyd, Rob Paulsen (!!)...I could go on. All of them (even the bit parts) were done by accomplished voice and screen actors - not to mention extremly experienced and capable voice directors who go back to the time of Full Throttle and Curse. I think this is the first time I've heard anyone say the voice acting was bad...that's...that is simply ridiculous. That is definitely the statement of a jaded fanboy who was mad his project got railroaded by the real thing. Not to be mean or anything, we all love Monkey Island, and had your project come out in a timely fashion, I'm sure people would have enjoyed it. I can't say I would have - I'm more on PaleMan's side - but I'm sure it would have been downloaded many times.

So, keep going by all means - but like the professionals, learn to take the other fanboy's jibes in stride and with professionalism and stop bad mouthing the real project that was released to much praise and success. As you said, say something nice or not at all. People on forums don't really have to follow that advice though, since they aren't heading game projects.

Add Comment