User Avatar Image

Is LeChuck really Guybrush's brother?

posted by Duate on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

or was that all just part of his evil voodoo spell or just a lie at the end of MI2?

What's the official word on this?

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The official word is....

It was all a hallucination. (see MI3)

They're probably not brothers.

• And if they are, theyre probably just half brothers. I have one and you want, you can safely pretend theyre not-a-brother. Its true! When my half-newphew and half-niece are full-brats, I can say Im only a half-a-uncle and the situation gets toned down a good 50 or so %. (Give it a go, its pretty fun, really.)

• If they are brothers, it's something they never mentioned again. In that CMI chapter which is basically just one big conversation with LeChuck, there's no mention of it.

• That's because Ron Gilbert, MI's father, did not work on any of the sequels. I once read in an interview, he might do another MI game and reveal the secret of MI and Big Woop, you probably can find that somewhere in the net.

• Weeeell... They might be brothers, but since they don't like each other, they choose to keep quiet about it and not mention it to anyone. It's embarrassing really for both of them.

Or they might not be brothers, but that's a bit boring.

• @Fury said: The official word is....

It was all a hallucination. (see MI3)

They're probably not brothers.

agree

• i prefer to think that it was all a lie by LeChuck to help put guybrush off balance to allow his voodoo to work more effectively at the end.

i think it's GREAT if they're just two enemy pirates who are unrelated. i hate the Lost/star wars storyline syndrome when it turns out all the main characters are needlessly related to each other, even though it serves no purpose or helps the story in anyway (darth vader made c3p0? really? how does that help the story AT ALL??) . it doesnt make it feel more intense or anything to me, it just feels cliche`. relations for relations sake.

not every conflict has to have a family aspect to it to make it an epic conflict.

imo

• @Duate said: i prefer to think that it was all a lie by LeChuck to help put guybrush off balance to allow his voodoo to work more effectively at the end.

i think it's GREAT if they're just two enemy pirates who are unrelated. i hate the Lost/star wars storyline syndrome when it turns out all the main characters are needlessly related to each other, even though it serves no purpose or helps the story in anyway (darth vader made c3p0? really? how does that help the story AT ALL??) . it doesnt make it feel more intense or anything to me, it just feels cliche`. relations for relations sake.

not every conflict has to have a family aspect to it to make it an epic conflict.

imo

Come to think of it, wasn't it really just another parody of Darth Vader's "Luke, I am your father!"? Monkey Island does to Lucasart what the Simpsons do to FOX. ("It belongs in a museum!" "Im selling these fine leather jackets..." "*Balancing Murray's and Santino's skulls to measure their weight.*")

• I think the "official word" is that they are not. Otherwise we probably wouldn't be getting MI sequels.

In CMI they wrote the whole "Guybrush and LeChuck are brothers and MI is all really a fantasy in the mind of a child" plot away as just a spell LeChuck put over Guybrush as a means to lure Guybrush into LeChuck's Carnival of the Dammed. There are really two canons, the Ron Gilbert canon and post-MI2 canon. I think you'll find the "official word" from LucasArts and Telltale is that the post-MI2 canon applies. The player really has to make a choice for which they believe. I personally believe in the post-MI2 canon set up in CMI. I thought the ending for MI2 was stupid and just trying to get a few chuckles by parodying Star Wars. However there are legions of MI2 fans who think otherwise, and believe that one day Ron Gilbert will return and lead them to the promised land.

Good luck with that one guys ;)

Add Comment