User Avatar Image

The Longest Journey

posted by JedExodus on - last edited - Viewed by 208 users

So I picked up the edition with it and Dreamfall together, so far i'm not sure about it, sometimes I love it and others I can't stand the sight of it. What did everyone else make of it?

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes, the game can drag on a bit, but the overall work is stellar. All I can say is finish the whole game before you make a decision (unless you can't stand long periods of nothing but text/speech, then get a new game).

• For me, the great parts were the (for a computer game) very uncommon subjects that were discussed.
    The game itself wasn't as good as I thought it would be, though.

• @Megaloman said: For me, the great parts were the (for a computer game) very uncommon subjects that were discussed.
    The game itself wasn't as good as I thought it would be, though.

Actually if they had left out the librarian the game would be 90% shorter ...
    Speaking of one of the most annoying game characters ever ;-)

• I loved the game. I did get a bit annoyed with the huge amount of talking and text that went into the game - but after a while I just got sucked into the story which was amazing. I've played it a few times, and I love it. Great voice acting, good puzzles, and the characters were very believable in an unbelievable world.
    The 2nd game, Dreamfall, was an interesting continuation - but I did not like it as much as the first game. There has been talk of a Longest Journey MMO game, but I hope there is still a story driven, single player finale to the series that is a little less action/stealth oriented like Dreamfall.

• I didn't like the second as much as the first, mostly for the odd direction the plot took. It's hard to explain without having ready access to the Wikipedia page, but there was an incredibly odd progression to the world, mostly to do with the tower and the alternate entrances to Arcadia. Also, what was the point of having the male character when you barely control him at all? I can see the logic in having multiple viewpoints, but that only works if you actually use it.

Plus, the new girl's voice just rubbed me up the wrong way. It's like an American trying to be British and not quite getting there, which only serves to irritate genuine Brits who can tell the difference. But that's just me.

EDIT: They're making 'Dreamfall Episodes'. So there will be a sequel... eventually.

• @Armand1880 said: There has been talk of a Longest Journey MMO game, but I hope there is still a story driven, single player finale to the series that is a little less action/stealth oriented like Dreamfall.

The MMO Ragnar Tørnquist and the team at Funcom have been working on is called The Secret World. It has nothing to do with Dreamfall; it instead deals with modern conspiracy theories and secret societies. As Darth Marsden said, the planned continuation is an episodic release similar to Tales of MI currently entitled "Dreamfall Chapters" that no work has really started on yet (TSW takes a lot of effort). However, in a bit of interesting info, Ragnar has said that he doesn't really think of Dreamfall as TLJ2 - he thinks of that as a WHOLE DIFFERENT GAME.

• I dunno... I actually like games with a lot of dialogue. I loved the game, it's definately in the top 5 advenchie list, but the damn librarian...

Dreamfall honestly sucked. I kind of liked some parts of it, but it wasn't as fun or gripping as the original. Still, my enjoyment factor for it went up to about 8/10.

• The Longest Journey was awesome. They really could have cut some of the talking though. And the sequence of puzzles it takes to get into the cinema in Chapter 2, gwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa40932q. After that it's smooth sailing though.

Dreamfall was kind of like an interactive story... minus the interaction. But by the the time I got up to Dreamfall I was really only playing for the story anyway.

I'm very much looking forward to Dreamfall Chapters. No doubt inspired by Telltales marketing plan :) Good stuff.

• About halfway thorugh the game now, it's quality stuff. It's just a bit jarring when you're in Marcuria and loving it then back in Stark, or vice-versa

• @JedExodus said: About halfway thorugh the game now, it's quality stuff. It's just a bit jarring when you're in Marcuria and loving it then back in Stark, or vice-versa

Indeed. I loved Stark as a setting (I still do) and I just didn't want to leave it just to go exploring some more classic fantasy world. The story, the feel and the dialogue in Stark just makes it so much more interesting to me.

Add Comment