User Avatar Image

Personal Vindication for Mike Stemmle?

posted by PariahKing on - last edited - Viewed by 214 users

After receiving endless (and excessive) amounts of indirect hate over Escape and its flaws, he and Mark Darin came up with an intriguing and excellent Monkey Island story. I will admit my initial fear was "...uh oh, Mike Stemmle wrote this story - will it make the same mistakes as Escape?"

I didn't have to worry. The reinvention of LeChuck was brilliant and saved the character. Morgan Le Flay became really interesting as a love interest for Guybrush. They used Murray in a non-forced way. There's not a whole lot of bad things to say about the series.

I think the third episode is where things really hit its stride. If the latter two episodes end up in a satisfactory way this may be my favorite Monkey Island game. And in a way it's kind of cool to see the whole human subplot level of it all, to see the creator of the fourth game get his very improbable and unlikely chance to make a beloved sequel ten years later.

(Obviously with lots of help from a talented staff and everything, but yeah.)

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 3 will always be my favourite

the problem with these episodes is that youre stuck in one island at a time
    and these islands are big big like melee island or something

and that keeps the game from being hard

• I will always enjoy Escape... it may not be my favorite and the character models are dated but the backgrounds are still brilliant to this day and I personally think the story was decent.... the only thing I hated in it was the Monkey Kombat bit... but I enjoy the rest of it very much.

• @Irishmile said: I will always enjoy Escape... it may not be my favorite and the character models are dated but the backgrounds are still brilliant to this day and I personally think the story was decent.... the only thing I hated in it was the Monkey Kombat bit... but I enjoy the rest of it very much.

Apropos of this, as a big fan of Escape, can you give me a wee bit of a hint? Having now acquired all the previous Monkey Island games through the offices of those fine people at Ebay, I'm playing through Escape, but no matter what I chuck at Herman, he doesn't remember anything. I can't even skip ahead using saved games downloaded from the web because I don't know the Monkey Kombat codes that cropped up when that player went through those sequences. HELP!

• True, this series really is very well written. I don't remember Escape that much since I haven't played it in years (plan on going through it again if LucasGames finally do a MI2 remake so that I can play them all through in talkie form in one go). Episode 3's definitely the best in this series too so far. If episodes 4 and 5 are as good as this then as a whole the series may even end up being my favourite Monkey Island game of the lot!

• The problem for Escape was the whole game engine, and the fact that the story had to be written around it. It hampered what you could do & I think by being forced to think within constraints, the plot of MI4 suffered.

The plot & the puzzles the designers make, go somewhat hand in hand.

Kevin

• I still don't get why MI4 receives so much hate. I like the game, and I understand the complaints that fans have for it, but some fans go WAY too far, like completely pretending the game doesn't exist or not including it as canon.

• The amount of love he received for Hit the Road probably outweighs the hate he received for EMI. :p

• I think 4 is a good game. I enjoyed it and the primitive 3D graphics are excused. The monkey-combat thing was quite ok imho.

The problem is just that the controls are really bad and its an inconvenience to run it on a modern PC.
    1 to 3 are taken care of by ScummVM but there is no flawless way to run 4 on my Vista+Ubuntu rig. Other early Win9x games have the same problem.

What LA should do is;
    Schedule a remake of 4 after they are done with 2SE, OR
    Release a proper modern game binary so the original at least runs well, OR
    Give some assistance to the ScummVM/Residual project so at least THEY can support the game in the near future.

It's unlikely that any of this will happen though. Shame..

• Escape was pretty decent, except for the Vista Canyon puzzle on Monkey Island. I wanted to break my computer from the frustration.

• There is an offshoot of SCUMMVM called the Residual Project that is currently adapting both Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island for current computers. So far, they are about halfway done with Grim Fandango.

Add Comment