31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think that ToMI is 3D-ish enough as it is and it already has great graphics. I think that applying his Tessellation thing to ToMI would make the games graphics a little over-the-top, or am I wrong?

  • There is no need for this in games like these. I mean, they're not evening using DX10 yet, so why put that much effort into supporting DX11 which has only just come out. Even as an optional feature it doesn't make much sense, financially & time wise especially. Does look nice though.

  • I don't think this technique should be applied to TOMI or rather not to Season 1 at least (wait for people to catch up, rig-wise first).

    I gotta say though, it's a highly impressive step forward for graphics. It kind of reminds me of the first time I saw bump-mapped graphics.

  • @haydenwce27 said: I think that ToMI is 3D-ish enough as it is and it already has great graphics. I think that applying his Tessellation thing to ToMI would make the games graphics a little over-the-top, or am I wrong?

    The examples shown are exaggerated to the nth degree to highlight the differences between a low-poly model and a tesselated one.

    IMO, in actual use, you're going to see much more subtle visual differences, and probably the best use of this is going to be to round out the angular look of curves on low-poly character models and then only secondarily to possibly add some depth to textures as was shown in the house example.

    Of course, considering how many people are trying (and failing) to run TMI on essentially Radeon 8500s and lower, it's going to be a very long time before this technology has enough marketshare that it would be worthwhile to go through the trouble of writing code for it.

    Then the question becomes whether the low-end graphics processors will even bother to do tesselation in a worthwhile manner. Unfortunate, because IMO an efficient tesselator would help low-performance graphics more than the top-end parts which can simply brute force the geometry.

  • Ultimately, the Telltale Tool hasn't touched DirectX 10 yet afaik, so it will be a long time before DirectX 11 is implemented.

  • I wouldn't mind seeing this technology appearing, even if just to give a performance increase on DX11 compliant cards.

    Because I just bought one, lol ;)

  • I think they should use VGA 256 color just look at the difference

    Monkey1_CGA_small.png256color.gif

  • @Irishmile said: Monkey1_CGA_small.png

    Ack! LCD flashbacks man... Lucy in the sky with diamonds...

  • @corruptbiggins said: There is no need for this in games like these. I mean, they're not evening using DX10 yet, so why put that much effort into supporting DX11 which has only just come out. Even as an optional feature it doesn't make much sense, financially & time wise especially. Does look nice though.

    @corruptbiggins said: Ultimately, the Telltale Tool hasn't touched DirectX 10 yet afaik, so it will be a long time before DirectX 11 is implemented.


    DX11 is a superset of DX10.1. It does everything DX10 does and more, and is partially backwards compatible with DX10 hardware to boot. There's literally no reason to develop for 10 over 11.

  • Personally, I'd love to see TMI in that style (kinda hate the flat 3D-style).
    My PC think otherwise I'm afraid. :D

Add Comment