User Avatar Image

How old is Guybrush exactly?

posted by Flah on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Something has been bugging me. And it's shaped like Morgan Leflay. She claims that she's been following Guybrush Threepwood's piratey exploits all her life, ever since she was a little child. Though, to be honest Morgan doesn't look incredibly young, compared to Guybrush.

I would guess that Guybrush is, at most, in his early twenties. And he likely started pirating on Melee Island at age sixteen at the earliest (the standard age for a callow youth with a fantastic destiny ahead of him). He's certainly not scarred nor grizzled enough to have been a pirate for that since then. And he's still got his boyish good looks. In the Monkey Island continuity, we can be fairly sure that the events that have taken place so far have spanned over a period of no more than ten years. Likely even less than that.

So the question I have to ask is... Isn't Morgan a little bit well-developed for someone in her early teens?

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I figured he was 19 in MI2 (due to slip of the tongue to the librarian) and 22 in MI3. (though I could be wrong about that) I assumed if several years passed from there he would in his late twenties or early thirties in Tales.

I'm sure there's a better way to explain it though, I just assume things from hints in the games.

• I thought Guybrush is suppose to be around 30 in Tales, he's 20 in CMI, EMI takes place three months later and Tales, in joke or not, refers to them being on adventures for the past decade, so he's close to 31.

We can actually map this out, His card says he's 20 in CMI, he lies and says 21 in MI2 (Legal Drinking Age), so if we go from that twenty in CMI, take off Three Months (according to Stan in TOMI) to lead back to MI2. If he's still 20 in MI2, then he must be around 21 in EMI, plus that decade makes him 31. :)

• Huh, I guess I missed the bit that mentioned they've been swashbuckling for the past decade. I stand corrected. The world makes sense again.

• Oh, I don't remember the card in CMI at all. I just took Elaine's "he abandoned me for three years" in Tales to mean she was talking about what happened after Guybrush fell into the pit in MI2 and went missing.

• The SCUMM Actors Guild Card :p, that three years would more likely explain the time between MI1 and MI2, as time has obviously past quite a bit between those games, Stan says the time between MI2 and CMI is Three Months "The guy who locked me in my own coffin for Three Months!" and the time between CMI and EMI is also Three Months (as mentioned by the catapult operator about why Elaine was declared dead).

Taking into account his 19 slip in MI2, Three Months pass to make him 20 in CMI, another Three Months in EMI makes him nearly 21 in a way. That would make Guybrush just 16 years old in MI1!

• in MI3 he says he's 20, and has a card that states that, so there.

• Guybrush might be in his mid twenties or approaching 30.
    He looks a bit older in this game than in the previous ones, too.

• @Ash735 said: I thought Guybrush is suppose to be around 30 in Tales, he's 20 in CMI, EMI takes place three months later and Tales, in joke or not, refers to them being on adventures for the past decade, so he's close to 31.

I thought this too, but I think Jake said that the comment actually was referring to the events from Secret of Monkey Island onward.

• late 20s He was in his late teens when we first saw him and as others mentioned at the start of ToMI he mentions a decade of pirating..... So roughly my age now..... how cool is that?

• Just an FYI, Stan mentioned that he was wearing that coat for 20 YEARS!

wonder what that means..

Add Comment