User Avatar Image

Improvement's listing

posted by Yohmi on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Aloha guys !

Seeing many topics talking about "what's wrong, what I want, what could it be great", I think it's gonna be difficult for the TellTale Games team to catch every point. So I decided to make this post to list improvements where majority agree, all listed here, in this first post (I'll edit it of course). If you disagree with some points or want to add more, just tell me in this topic, and I'll edit too (if it's clever, of course).

Here we go !

List of improvements - Sam&Max Episode 1 : Culture Shock

[LIST]
[*]Better sound (voice with more bitrate for example)
[*]Verbs (or at least a two-click system, description and acting)
[*]More resolutions screen (it doesn't match with my ratio for example)
[*]Objects combination
[*]Mega Monkey-like mode (so much topics about harder puzzles)
[*]Keep object after "can't do" sentence
[*]Localization (BarfHappy has found a way to modify subtitles)
[*]Using max (:D)
[*]Give Yohmi English Lessons
[*]Solve Second Monitor issue
[/LIST]

If you folks have anything else, post a reply ;)

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Totally agreed... ;)

There should also be more spots to go to.
    It was a bit of a pity all of the action went down in 6 places.
    I hope the next episode will have more places, so it takes more time to solve the game...

• Just a minor thing, but I really think the cursor should be changed to Sam's hand instead of a generic Mac-style pointer. Hit the Road used Sam's hand as a pointer, the ill-fated Freelance Police used Sam's hand as a pointer... the new games should carry on the tradition, I think.

• I'd also vote for higher-res textures and higher-res meshes (maybe as alternate downloads?)... in close-ups both look very disturbing.

• Though I personally wouldn't care using either a regular cursor or Sam's hand, I think the theory behind the simple cursor is the same theory behind the Nintendo Wii--non-hardcore gamers feel that there is too much of a learning curve to get into video games, but a simple remote (in the Wii) or a simple cursor (as in Culture Shock) is familiar to anybody who's ever used a computer. There is practically no learning curve to the game, you put anybody in front of the screen, and they can start right away because they know how to point and click.

As to adding verbs, this is my corollary theory:
    Face it, if you are an experienced adventure gamer (I am), every time you entered a room, your brain would automatically go into the "adventure-game trance":

1. Right click/navigate cursor to "look at" verb
    2. Left click object to "look at object"
    3. Right click/navigate cursor to "pick up" verb
    4. Left click object to "pick up object"
    4a. Object goes into your inventory.
    4b. Object does not go into your inventory.
    5. If object can't be picked up, right click/navigate cursor to "use" verb
    6. Left click object to "use object"
    7. Repeat steps 1-6 for for every other object in the room.

Veteran adventure gamers expect this activity and don't mind it, but it's not really a stretch of an imagination to imagine why people don't find this activity fun. Making the mouse automatically pick up something if it can be picked up really cuts out a lot of this type of activity that some people (not you or me) might not enjoy.

But yeah, I can see changing the cursor to Sam's hand and still not really changing too much of what I said.

• You know, although the sound is kind of 'buzzy', it makes downloading it so much more palatabble.

72MB? Great. If it were over 100MB, I'd be a bit more hesitant to download it.

• User Avatar Image
    Sean A Telltale Staff

I really wish everybody would stop griping about needing more areas to explore. Sam and Max are the draw here, not where they go. Besides that, they'll be going places in other episodes...that's kind of the whole point behind this episodic format: You sit down, play it in one or two sittings, and wait for the next one to come out. If you just have conversations with everyone in Culture Shock (where the humor comes from), it adds a ridiculous amount of not only time, but enjoyment to the gameplay. I'm glad I didn't have to go traipsing all over the country so solve any puzzles in this.

I"m also really puzzled by the number of people who think the game is too easy...not that it's hard, but I sure don't miss spending hours after logic failed me just trying random inventory items on every conceivable clickable object in the game until I found the right combination. That kind of "difficulty" is happily left by the wayside. At least by me.

Anyone else agree? I mean, every time someone mentions difficulty I shudder as I remember that "How to Get Ahead in Navigating" puzzle from Monkey Island.

That being said, I do wish combining items was allowed in Telltale games, and I agree that a few more verbs wouldn't hurt. "Smell", for instance, would be a good one. Or "taste" (Sam IS a dog, after all). I like a streamlined interface (good riddance to "use"), but only one click per items shrinks the replay value a bit. I recently played Monkey Island again and found stuff I never found before, just because I never looked at or tryed picking up things.

Oh, and there should be two available downloads: High and Low Quality. That way, the user could pick how much hard drive space they wanted to use up.

I think I'm done.

• "take" really isn't necessary either...

• @Shoemonkey said: I really wish everybody would stop griping about needing more areas to explore. Sam and Max are the draw here, not where they go. Besides that, they'll be going places in other episodes...that's kind of the whole point behind this episodic format: You sit down, play it in one or two sittings, and wait for the next one to come out.

I whole-heartedly agree. That's the whole point of episodic releases, and i love it! I don't think people who crave more locations realize that it also craves longer development times.

@Shoemonkey said: I"m also really puzzled by the number of people who think the game is too easy...not that it's hard, but I sure don't miss spending hours after logic failed me just trying random inventory items on every conceivable clickable object in the game until I found the right combination. That kind of "difficulty" is happily left by the wayside. At least by me.

Again, i agree. As much as i love the old Hit the Road game, i found many of the puzzles to be waaay too abstract and illogical. I don't wanna end up looking for a walkthrough.
    Culture Shock was, to mee, a teeny bit too easy at some points, but other puzzles were quite hard, so all in all i think it quite well balanced.

@Shoemonkey said: I do wish combining items was allowed in Telltale games

Yes, combining inventory items would add a lot to the gameplay, and that's pretty much all that's needed i think.

@Shoemonkey said: , and I agree that a few more verbs wouldn't hurt. "Smell", for instance, would be a good one. Or "taste" (Sam IS a dog, after all). I like a streamlined interface (good riddance to "use"), but only one click per items shrinks the replay value a bit.

I disagree with you on this one. When clicking an object it should be obvious what you actually want to do with it. A door? You want to open it, A television? You want to turn it on and watch it, A piece of paper? You want to read it and so on and so forth. Also, if you want to use some machine, there should be a handle you could pull, and it would operate the machine, and if you just click the entire machine, he would describe it. I think it's very intuitive that way, and it takes away some of stupid frustration you get when not know whether to pull, push, open, close or step-on or sniff or lick or whatever. ;)

@Shoemonkey said: Oh, and there should be two available downloads: High and Low Quality. That way, the user could pick how much hard drive space they wanted to use up.

I honestly can't see why people are complaining about the sound. I heard none of the whizzes and whatnot people are describing. So, i see no reason to change that.

There, now i am done too. :)

• Elsenator, try to listen voices with headphones and you'll understand. On my speakers, only sybil's sentences whistles, but when I put my headphone, it's very ugly... to be honest, even if I love to feel sound with my headphone, I was compelled to unplug it...

For the verbs, in fact, my point is to have a two-click system, with "look at" and "use", because it' useless to have a "take" third verb : if you can take it, you take, if you can't take it, you use. Newcomers could be disturbed with to much verbs, and it won't help to make the game more complete. If you add "talk to" verb, you'll experience most of the time "I don't talk to that", and if you want to use people, you'll experience the famous quote we all know.

I'll add "sam's hand cursor", but if it has to be done, I hope it will be a great image that won't pixellate in high resolutions. If it's ugly, as we are not in 1993 anymore, don't change anything, it's not annoying at all to have a "normal" cursor.

About puzzles, remember in old adventure games we got maybe five "big" puzzles at all. Here, we have just one... annoying ? Remember, there's 6 episodes ; and it costs less than before. About difficulty, I'm like many people, I'm bad at solving puzzles... but I love these interactive comics. In fact, I think this episode was maybe too easy, but don't make nonsense puzzles to improve that, or mathematical ones (escape frome monkey island was full of these crappy puzzles, with timing and notes to take - I HATE MONKEY KOMBAT !). Remember Day of the Tentacle, the chrono-jun was a very clever invention, but there wa maybe too much possibilities... there was too much for me. I love DotT, but I confess, I was stuck and I cheated.

[EDIT] Oh my god, I can't edit the first post anymore... I'm gonna check how to do that, sorry ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Sean A Telltale Staff

@elsenator said: I disagree with you on this one. When clicking an object it should be obvious what you actually want to do with it...

I honestly can't see why people are complaining about the sound. I heard none of the whizzes and whatnot people are describing. So, i see no reason to change that.

1. I didn't mean for the added verbs to take away from the ease of use, but want them for entertainment value. I don't want "smell" to be involved in a puzzle, I just want it there (or something not quite so bizarre) so there's another opportunity for Sam and Max to be funny. You would still be able to complete the game without using other verbs, but should you so choose, they're there. Of course, this alone could up the development time by leaps and bounds, but I think giving us the option of seeing an object/person from a different perspective just adds to the overall experience, especially if you're planning on playing through it again.

2. You just proved my point. Since you didn't have a problem with the sound quality, a Low Quality download would be right up your alley.

3. I love you Telltale. Smooches.

Add Comment