User Avatar Image

Guybrush's parents?

posted by BeeKay84 on - last edited - Viewed by 232 users

According to the MI Wiki, the names of Guybrush's parents are Dwayne and Bertha. Where the heck did we ever hear their names? Or is this just some kind of joke I don't understand?

I left the thread title neutral like this, so we could maybe discuss any other questions concerning Guybrush's parents. Like, are they really dead, did they really abandon him, and why did they name him "Guybrush" etc.? ;)

16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Guybrush's first name was born by accident when his initial sprite was saved under the file-name "guy". The filetype attachment spelled the name "guy.brush", which became his name

  • @LordofDead said: Guybrush's first name was born by accident when his initial sprite was saved under the file-name "guy". The filetype attachment spelled the name "guy.brush", which became his name

    Actually, there is more to the story!

    @LordofDead said: Where the heck did we ever hear their names? Or is this just some kind of joke I don't understand?

    It is possible they found the names in the script of MI2 or some of the files. I don't really know. It could just be a fraud.

  • @LordofDead said: Guybrush's first name was born by accident when his initial sprite was saved under the file-name "guy". The filetype attachment spelled the name "guy.brush", which became his name


    *lol* I know about that! :D I was just trying to be funny. ;)

    Well, while I was checking out the MI Wiki for further info, I learned that the names of Guybrush's parents were mentioned at some point in EMI (which I never played, though I do know many partly disturbing facts about it). Doesn't sound like they have to be their real names, though.

  • While Guybrush is trying to convince the waitress in Planet Threepwood he's the real deal, she asks him what his parents' names are... and as he can only answer wrong, she goes all "Well duh, everyone knows it's Dwayne and Bertha!"

    ... some of Guybrush's guesses are funny, too. xD

  • Threepwood was taken from a book, wasn't it? I haven't read "On Stranger Tides" (yet) but was it from that?

    That Dwayne and Bertha part was probably just a joke on how media makes stuff up. Guybrush was also supposedly this big bulky pirate as well, according to the "lore" in Planet Threepwood.

  • i think it was in planet threepwood where the fake elaine askes him what his parents names are he dont know and she gives an annswer that might be it lol cant rember

  • The name Threepwood was taken from one of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books (I forget which one). One of the minor characters had the last name, Threepwood.

  • @BeeKay84 said: According to the MI Wiki, the names of Guybrush's parents are Dwayne and Bertha. Where the heck did we ever hear their names?

    MI2, I think. Probably at the bit where Guybrush finds their skeletons in LeChuck's stronghold - or does he?

  • @Alcoremortis said: The name Threepwood was taken from one of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books (I forget which one). One of the minor characters had the last name, Threepwood.

    Um... *no*!!!

    The Threepwood family are the protagonists of the Blandings Saga, even longer-running and even better than the Bertie Wooster stories.

  • @unicornfoal said: While Guybrush is trying to convince the waitress in Planet Threepwood he's the real deal, she asks him what his parents' names are... and as he can only answer wrong, she goes all "Well duh, everyone knows it's Dwayne and Bertha!"

    ... some of Guybrush's guesses are funny, too. xD

    This. I just did this a couple nights ago and was actually specifically looking for it. Also, when the waitress (whose name is Elayne) says "Wrong, their names are Dwayne and Bertha. Everyone knows that!", Guybrush replies "Well, I didn't." Maybe Guybrush also suffered a couple coconuts to the head?

Add Comment