User Avatar Image

ToMI Chapter 4 crashes!

posted by lawler on - last edited - Viewed by 436 users

Hi,

I got a problem with ToMI Chapter 4. My computer crashes completely after playing a few seconds up to a few minutes. The screen freezes, my computer doesn't react to anything but a reset and my Mainboard makes a high-pitched sound until I hit the reset button (I think it's my Mainboard, because my speakers don't make that sound).
I updated my graphic drivers and Direct X but it didn't solve the problem.
[SPOILER WARNING]I don't know if it helps but I just got all the information from the voodoo Lady about La Espogna Grande after she has been sent to prison.[SPOILER WARNING]
Up to that point I had no problems with the game. I had the same computer crashes with chapter 1-3 but only about 2-4 for all 3 chapters.

My computer:
ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe
Pentium 4 @ 3,2GHz
ASUS Radeon X850XT-PE
Windows XP 32bit

I don't know if it's important but I purchased the game on steam.
I really hope you can help me, thank you so much in advance for your help.

Greets

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@lawler said: My computer crashes completely after playing a few seconds up to a few minutes. The screen freezes, my computer doesn't react to anything but a reset and my Mainboard makes a high-pitched sound until I hit the reset button (I think it's my Mainboard, because my speakers don't make that sound).

That sounds like a heat problem and your mainboard warns you above a certain temperature.

Make sure that your cooling system (Processor, Graphics card, whatever else) is free of dust and that all fans are running.

If that doesn't solve it, we can do some tests.

The easiest one is logging the temperatures while the game is running. I wrote a tutorial for that once:

Logging your CPU and GPU Temperatures

CPU: Download Core Temp. Start it and activate logging in the menu under "Tools/Logging on".

The log file created is called similar to "CT-Log [TIME][DATE].csv".

GPU: Download GPU-Z.
    Start it, select the "sensors" tab, and activate "Log to File" at the bottom of the window.

The log file created is called "gpu-temperature.xml".

Let the game run until it crashes and then upload the log files.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.

• Thanks for the help.
    Here are the log files:
    http://www.filedropper.com/gpu-zsensorlog
    http://www.filedropper.com/gpu-zsensorlog2

The readme of core temp said that Pentium 4 CPUs are not supported, so I only got GPU logfiles for 2 crashes. The first crash was after 1 sec, the second one after 1 minute approximately.
    This time the crashes were a little bit different. There was no high-pitched sound. At the first crash was no sound at all and at the second crash the last sound in the game was repeating in an endless loop until I hit the reset button.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@lawler said: Thanks for the help.
    Here are the log files:
    http://www.filedropper.com/gpu-zsensorlog
    http://www.filedropper.com/gpu-zsensorlog2

The links don't seem to work. Can you .zip and attach them?
    Have you checked the your cooling solution as i mentioned above?

• Open your case. Clean the fans of dust. Especially the fans on the CPU and the graphics card. Turn on the PC on while it is open to make sure all fans are working.
    If you don't understand these instructions or find them to scary, have someone do this for you.

It would surprise me VERY much if this was not an overheating problem.

• I don't have the log files any more but I know that the temperatures were between 72°C (idle) and 74°C (in game).
    I cleaned the fans and checked if they are working. The fans were pretty dusty and one fan (at the back of my case) didn't work but this fan has not been working ever since I bought my computer.
    After I cleaned all the fans I tried to play ToMI again. The game crashed after 2 seconds and my mainboard was making the high-pitched sound again.
    So, unfortunately no change after cleaning the fans :(

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

72°C is a pretty high idle temperature for a graphics card. Is there a fan on it too and does it work?

You might be able to see the CPU temperature with Asus PC Probe. If you can see it, then you can run the game in window mode (Alt-Enter) and monitor the temperature. If it can log as well, you can run the game in full screen of course.

If that doesn't give you a result, then we can provoke some CPU and GPU stress artificially to see whether it makes your system crash the same way. Be aware that overheating can cause damage to your hardware and you do the tests at your own risk.
    The Processor test should be quite safe though, because the Pentium 4 has thermal throttling and shuts down if it gets to hot. That's what we assume happens here.

It should be enough to run each of these tests for less than 2 minutes until it crashes.

Testing your processor:
    Download prime95 for 32-bit Windows and run it. If you see a "welcome to gimps" window choose "just stress testing".
    In the "run a torture Test" window just press ok.
    To stop it use "Test/Stop" in the Menu.

Testing your graphics card:
    Download FurMark to stress test your graphics card. Start it, select "Stability Test", "Xtreme Burning Mode" and "Log GPU Temperature". Now start the test by pressing "Go!".
    While running you should be able to monitor the temperature at the bottom of the screen.
    You can abort the test with escape.

• I tried ASUS PC Probe and it worked. I was able to monitor the temperature and the voltage of the CPU and the mainboard. I was able to play the game without a crash this time. So I played for 10 minutes and then quit the game.
    The CPU was at 52-55°C in idle and at a maximum of 66°C in game. The mainboard was at 35°C in idle and at 37°C in game.
    I was also checking the voltage monitor and discovered something that may cause the problem or another problem.
    ASUS PC Probe monitors +12V, +5V, +3,3V and Vcore. Everything was stable except the +3,3V values. While I was playing the game, the voltage dropped to +2,7V for 4 times and ASUS PC Probe was making an error sound and the voltage monitor was flashing.
    Should I still do the stress tests?

Thanks again for your help!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

It's a bit strange that the game worked for so long this time.
    Was the PC still cool before you started the game this time?

The ATX specification allows a tolerance of +/- 5% for the +3.3VDC Voltage rail, which means 3.135V-3.465V. Therefore the warning would be justified.
    It is possible that your PSU doesn't work properly, but we can't be sure of that yet.

You can run the stress tests with PC Probe active and watch the voltages and the temperatures, to find out what makes your pc crash.

• I started the game with the CPU at 55°C.

Here are the results of the stress tests:

CPU stress test:
    I was running the test for 10 minutes. The temperature went up to a maximum of 68°C (most of the time 64-66°C). The voltage was stable at about 3,1V most of the time. It only went down to 2,7V once for about 2 seconds.

GPU stress test:
    I did run the stress test like you said but I did not see the temperatures. I was running the test for 5 minutes.

The PC did not crash during one of the tests. Do I have to run the tests longer?
    I hope the results are helpful.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@lawler said: The PC did not crash during one of the tests. Do I have to run the tests longer?
    I hope the results are helpful.

They are helpful.
    I almost said you did plenty of testing, but you could run both tests at once. Maybe that will drain enough power from your PSU and make it crash. It should be enough to do that for 1 minute.

Preparing for a different approach, please post a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.

[*]You can upload it to RapidShare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
    [/LIST]

Add Comment