User Avatar Image

Maniac Mansion 3D remake almost done!

posted by octochan on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Did anybody else here know about this? I's a fan remake from a German developer, and they're scheduled to release it in German and English early next year.

Maniac Mansion 3D

130 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hi there,

some news about our game:

- Dynamic wind engine added ( Dry Leafs are blown around by it in the outside areas )
    - Better dynamic light engine implemented
    - more details in many rooms added to fill the "emptyness"
    - Edna model added
    - many bugs Fixed
    - Demo version nearly complete ( for a contest we try to win ;-)
    - Purple Tentacle now moves through the House and catches children ( if dr.Fred ask him to )
    - a lot of improvements to scripting and NPC AI

Regards Ernie the Runner

• @Friar said: I've never played MM, so i unfortunately won't be downloading it. For someone who doesn't own the original, it would technically be piracy for me to download it. I really wish they'd release the original on Steam...

I don't really understand what owning the original has to do with downloading a fan-made remake. Can someone explain?

• It looks pretty decent, but I'm not convinced. I dunno what program is being used, but it doesn;t look like much has been done, just a few areas. It could be really good, but as I'll be surprised if it has was fixed for the new version in 2011.

• @Thiftweed Fancy Pants said: I don't really understand what owning the original has to do with downloading a fan-made remake. Can someone explain?

You know how it's illegal to download a mp3 if you don't own the CD? Same kind of thing.
    Although here, it would be more like downloading a cover of a mp3 without owning the original CD (and, I'm assuming, without the person doing the cover ever getting any rights).

• I don't think downloading a fan-made remake of a game you don't own is more illegal than making a fan-made remake to begin with. Generally companies turn a blind eye to non-profit fan projects (especially Lucas with Star Wars fanfilms), but it's still TECHNICALLY a violation of copyright.

But if they don't get in any trouble for making it, you shouldn't get in trouble for downloading it.

• @avistew said: Although here, it would be more like downloading a cover of a mp3 without owning the original CD (and, I'm assuming, without the person doing the cover ever getting any rights).

I think doggans is closer to the truth here. I think it's probably illegal for them to remake a game by LucasArts without permission, and therefore, if you download it, then you have participated in an illegal activity. Whether or not you own the original game is irrelevant. But, like doggans said, Lucasfilm has been known to turn a blind eye to fan made Star Wars films, and with Darrel Rodriguez interested in reviving the adventure game genre, he might allow a non-profit, fan made remake of the original Maniac Mansion.

• @doodo! said: What the hell is he talking about? That isn't a Monkey Island 2 remake video from Lucas Arts, it's some guy in his basement...

Lol, it was guy.brush from the Mixnmojo forums. Everybody seemed to think it an official Lucasarts game preview thingy.

• You guys are awesome. That is all.

• @Thiftweed Fancy Pants said: I think doggans is closer to the truth here. I think it's probably illegal for them to remake a game by LucasArts without permission, and therefore, if you download it, then you have participated in an illegal activity. Whether or not you own the original game is irrelevant.

Yeah, it's illegal either way, but more of a grey area if you own the original one, at least I feel that way. I think people are more likely to tolerate it if they know the people did own the original.
    Anyways, I was just trying to explain what I thought someone else meant when they said they wouldn't download it because they didn't have the original. I could be wrong in my interpretation.

Add Comment