User Avatar Image

Bulletin: Telltale is not LucasArts

posted by Sean A on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Just for those of you on these boards who don't seem to get it, Telltale wants to do things differently from LucasArts, hence the absence of insanely abstract puzzles and longer games that only come out once every few years.

Also, when they announce a project, it actually comes out.

So for those of you who are bashing the difficulty of Culture Shock, or are griping about its length, or are saying it's not as good as Hit the Road, stop letting your nostalgia get in the way of your opinion. Culture Shock is every bit a Sam and Max game as Hit the Road, but it will never live up to the latter's legacy because it's not trying to. It's a different kind of game, and will never be just like an old LucasArts game. Ever.

Telltale still has a few kinks to iron out of its games, true, but they're doing that, going so far as to update their old games (Bone, for example) to accomodate some of our suggestions and comments.

What other company on earth does that? LucasFarts? How much gameplay do you want for $7-$9 an episode? If you take your time, enjoying all of the dialogue, easter eggs and other shenanigans Telltale incorporated into Culture Shock, you're getting more than your money's worth. Way more.

As far as I'm concerned it's a monumental achievment that this game even exists, not even accounting for how freaking good it is.

So shut up. (This goes for me, too; I've said things elsewhere on these boards that may make it seem like I don't believe any of this, but the more I think about it the more I love some of the changes Telltale made, and I'm tired of comparing it to something it's not trying to be.)

Okay, I'm done.

Telltale, you rock my world, babies.

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @questionthemajority said: just relax!

    Too damn true. The most sensible thing said here. =]

  • jp-30: Just look at the thread I created myself - http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232

    I mention Broken Sword 4. I mention Monkey Island 1&2. I mention Bladerunner. I Mention Shenmue. No response about those games at all other than that people haven´t played them, and then the discussion goes on about how there is no room for adventuregames with challenges, and how absurd some puzzles supposedly were.

    I recommend people to read my first post in that thread again. I do think that Culture Shock is a good game. I have since that post finished the game, and I still think that it is a good game. Its just not perfect.

  • HMM. Even if this game was completely utterly new, even if HtR had never been invented, I would still make an argument for the game being too easy and too short. Hecks, my sister just played it and finished it in two hours or so. The fact is, the MAIN GAMEPLAY of CS is not that long, and some people are hella not interested in persuing the extra thingies in there!

    Therefore I am not sure how much the LucasArts/Telltale comparisons affect people's opinions of the game.

    It was good though! I liked the game muchly! I just sort of disagree with most of your initial points.

  • But that's really the whole point of it being episodic. Sure, it's in shorter chunks, but they come much more often.

  • @Shoemonkey said: Just for those of you on these boards who don't seem to get it, Telltale wants to do things differently from LucasArts, hence the absence of insanely abstract puzzles and longer games that only come out once every few years.

    Also, when they announce a project, it actually comes out.

    So for those of you who are bashing the difficulty of Culture Shock, or are griping about its length, or are saying it's not as good as Hit the Road, stop letting your nostalgia get in the way of your opinion. Culture Shock is every bit a Sam and Max game as Hit the Road, but it will never live up to the latter's legacy because it's not trying to. It's a different kind of game, and will never be just like an old LucasArts game. Ever.

    Telltale still has a few kinks to iron out of its games, true, but they're doing that, going so far as to update their old games (Bone, for example) to accomodate some of our suggestions and comments.

    What other company on earth does that? LucasFarts? How much gameplay do you want for $7-$9 an episode? If you take your time, enjoying all of the dialogue, easter eggs and other shenanigans Telltale incorporated into Culture Shock, you're getting more than your money's worth. Way more.

    As far as I'm concerned it's a monumental achievment that this game even exists, not even accounting for how freaking good it is.

    So shut up. (This goes for me, too; I've said things elsewhere on these boards that may make it seem like I don't believe any of this, but the more I think about it the more I love some of the changes Telltale made, and I'm tired of comparing it to something it's not trying to be.)

    Okay, I'm done.

    Telltale, you rock my world, babies.

    That's an easy out isn't it? Considering The Lucas Arts games remain the best of the Genre, until another company can capture that feel again, they will pale in comparison.

  • Can't we just merge these threads with the other ones on difficulty? *sigh

    What does everyone think of the challenge level of monkey 2?
    I think it is about right for an adventure game.... though I was much younger then so maybe it wasn't as challenging as I thought.

  • @Alucard said: Can't we just merge these threads with the other ones on difficulty? *sigh

    What does everyone think of the challenge level of monkey 2?
    I think it is about right for an adventure game.... though I was much younger then so maybe it wasn't as challenging as I thought.

    I'm done with these threads for now anyway. TellTale has plenty of material to work with, and I think we've all given them some great Ideas. It's up to them now to decide whether to do anything with it.

  • I'm just glad people have stopped complaining about the voices. :D

  • User Avatar Image
    Sean A Telltale Staff

    @Jokieman said: That's an easy out isn't it? Considering The Lucas Arts games remain the best of the Genre, until another company can capture that feel again, they will pale in comparison.

    So you're saying Culture Shock pales? In comparison?

    Interesting, considering this whole thread is a plea to stop comparing them and follow Telltale wherever it is they're taking us.

  • @Emily said: I'm just glad people have stopped complaining about the voices. :D

    And another thing, the voices in TT's games aren't nearly as good as LucasArts!

    Jokes! Jokes! (I'm one of the few who has had little to no problem with the voices in any of the games so far :) )

Add Comment