User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island v. Original 4 [Inevitable Spoilers]

posted by PariahKing on - last edited - Viewed by 571 users

Now that all of Tales has been released, what's your (initial) reaction to the series as a whole? If you had to compare it with the other four.

Personally, I can't make up my mind if I like LCR better or TMI better. I think I like those two better than CMI. After that is SMI, and a big drop off to EMI. (But I still really, really like EMI and think it is severely underrated.)

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 1. LCR
    2. TMI (little lower in rating becouse Chapter 1's jugle mazes)
    3. CMI
    4. SMI
    5. EMI

• I think I agree. While TMI Episode One was good, I gave it a lot of leeway because it was the first MI in ten years. I replayed it with my mom a couple of months later, and it was still really fun, but I think out of all the chapters it is the weakest of all five MI games, maybe excluding Escape if you count the first two parts of Escape as "Act One."

I think LCR's Act One is just better than TMI's Act One, but it's really close as a race overall I think.

• It's almost impossible to compare all of these diverse games to one another. While I think telltale has taken the writing and narrative aspects to new levels, the game play seems to fall short in this retro gamer's opinion. I never really scratched my head too much in these "Tales" while I remember endless frustration during the classic ones (SOMI and LR).

In terms of storytelling though, Telltale has done a great job. More often than not, I felt like I was almost watching an animated film-in that is probably where I have my gameplay issues. I kind of felt that I was on rails while playing these episodes. While I didn't hate the ride at all, I would've liked to spend more than maybe 2 hours enjoying it.

In many ways, I feel this run was a lot like Curse: relatively straight-forward with a hard puzzle now and then. Both endings seemed relatively anticlimactic to me as well. However, if you've managed to make it through Zak McCracken you're happy with anything even resembling an ending screen.

On EMI behalf, I want to argue that it was a significantly harder game than CMI. Perhaps this is due to the illogical nature of some puzzles or Monkey Kombat in general. However, I did enjoy it when It came out, and I don;t mind playing here and again. Honestly, the whole kitschy consumerism idea was pretty genius, and took the franchise in a different direction. I mean who doesn't love anachronism?

So my order:

LR
    CMI
    TOMI
    SOMI (It would rank higher, but it seems like LR is really this game on steroids)
    EMI.

• LeChuck's Revenge is on a pedestal of its own, and it's a hard thing to top. But I'd say Tales doesn't trail too far behind Secret, and it's WAY ahead of Curse and Escape in my book.

• I think if some of the more...notorious...LCR puzzles were instead placed first in TMI...I would complain about how stupidly hard they were. I like a challenge, but plain illogical sucks. The whole bit with the library was cruel.

• @PariahKing said: I think if some of the more...notorious...LCR puzzles were instead placed first in TMI...I would complain about how stupidly hard they were. I like a challenge, but plain illogical sucks. The whole bit with the library was cruel.

I agree with you- people would not stop complaining. However, there seems to have been this shift in gaming toward easiness. Why should games be easy? A friend of mine worked at a video game store and people would return games not because they were bad, but because they were hard.

Games are supposed to be a challenge. In fact, the whole idea of the genre itself is challenge. But, with MI, you have that guarantee of safety from death at least comforting you a little!

Therefore, I ask for more illogical puzzles. I want monkey wrenches, I want green spit, I want the dewey decimal system!

• If I wanted to give you a challenge, I could hand you an a N64 and a copy of Goldeneye. "Here, kill all the bad people with your fists instead of guns." Just because something is challenging doesn't make it fun or good. Illogical puzzles (or, perhaps going out on a limb here, "stupid" puzzles that aren't based on logic but pure "piss you off and make you frustrated for the point of defeating you") are not good for adventure games.

I personally hated the puzzle with the clam and the bubble, but it was at least logical. After I solved it by accident, I understood it. Things like having to comb through a library of books to find something was kinda dumb. But there's a happy medium.

• For me, Revenge is still the best of the series but Tales has taken 2nd place away from Secret.

• @PariahKing said: If I wanted to give you a challenge, I could hand you an a N64 and a copy of Goldeneye. "Here, kill all the bad people with your fists instead of guns.".

Just fists? How the fuck could you ever get through the silo level?

Maybe there is a medium, but personally I didn't mind the library too much.

But here's a question- and it's bothered me for i guess about 15 years or so.

Why can't Dread take you to find the Monkey Head. When you charter the boat you even mention that you have a map from a boat you previously chartered and is waiting for you in port. Is this ridiculous or no?

• @TimesNineXiX said: Just fists? How the fuck could you ever get through the silo level?

Maybe there is a medium, but personally I didn't mind the library too much.

Eh. Just an example. I'm just saying really hard puzzles need not necessarily be unfair puzzles.

But here's a question- and it's bothered me for i guess about 15 years or so.

Why can't Dread take you to find the Monkey Head. When you charter the boat you even mention that you have a map from a boat you previously chartered and is waiting for you in port. Is this ridiculous or no?

I think the explanation is that he is an extremely superstitious man who says stuff like "That's the devil's triangle, can't go there mon" if you click the "forbidden places." His character is the excuse for Kate.

That, and he's only smart enough to sail to three places. It's like a cab driver who only knows a bit of town.

Add Comment