User Avatar Image

about elanes role

posted by coolsome on - last edited - Viewed by 87 users

did she fall 4 nice Lechuck (cos of the belt buckle) or was she playing along just to try and free Guybrush from the voodoo ladys controle and how did she know the ring would work or any of this would happen

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sailorcuteness said: did she fall 4 nice Lechuck (cos of the belt buckle) or was she playing along just to try and free Guybrush from the voodoo ladys controle and how did she know the ring would work or any of this would happen

These are all questions I was wondering about, too!
    At first I thought she had fallen for nice LeChuck, but seagull Voodoo Lady seemed to imply that it was all the belt buckle, and that Elaine was tricked by this buckle. The persuasive nature of the buckle was obviously then demonstrated when the Thief believed Guybrush's far-fetched stories about space turtles from the future.

However, in Elaine's final monologue, and in some of the seagull's speech, it is implied that from the outset, Elaine knew exactly what she was getting herself in for. That said, I think that the belt buckle is like a charm that brainwashes people. So in one sense, Elaine knew what she was doing (by allowing herself to get close to LeChuck in the first place), but in another sense, she was still under the influence of the spell-binding buckle.

ALTHOUGH - Elaine *does* say, on LeChuck's ship, that she "played along with your [LeChuck's] nice guy game" in order to get Guybrush to find La Esponja Grande.

It almost seems as though *everyone (bar LeChuck)* was in on the plot to "save Guybrush from himself", except Guybrush. In which case, I would say that it was all the Voodoo Lady's doing; she could have been advising Elaine on what to do.

However, I was confused when the seagull Voodoo Lady said that Elaine doesn't believe in voodoo. Now that just stumped me completely.

• @Anonymous Ichorholic said: However, I was confused when the seagull Voodoo Lady said that Elaine doesn't believe in voodoo. Now that just stumped me completely.

Didn't she say Elaine doesn't TRUST voodoo? Well at least that is what I thought was implied.

• @Anonymous Ichorholic said: These are all questions I was wondering about, too!
    At first I thought she had fallen for nice LeChuck, but seagull Voodoo Lady seemed to imply that it was all the belt buckle, and that Elaine was tricked by this buckle. The persuasive nature of the buckle was obviously then demonstrated when the Thief believed Guybrush's far-fetched stories about space turtles from the future.

However, in Elaine's final monologue, and in some of the seagull's speech, it is implied that from the outset, Elaine knew exactly what she was getting herself in for. That said, I think that the belt buckle is like a charm that brainwashes people. So in one sense, Elaine knew what she was doing (by allowing herself to get close to LeChuck in the first place), but in another sense, she was still under the influence of the spell-binding buckle.

ALTHOUGH - Elaine *does* say, on LeChuck's ship, that she "played along with your [LeChuck's] nice guy game" in order to get Guybrush to find La Esponja Grande.

It almost seems as though *everyone (bar LeChuck)* was in on the plot to "save Guybrush from himself", except Guybrush. In which case, I would say that it was all the Voodoo Lady's doing; she could have been advising Elaine on what to do.

However, I was confused when the seagull Voodoo Lady said that Elaine doesn't believe in voodoo. Now that just stumped me completely.

I don't think Elaine knew completely what was going on but was basically going with the flow and took credit for everything Guybrush did himself. It's actually very Monkey Island-ish of her to do that, and it's a lot like what she did in Secret.

• Guybrush was apparently immune to the belt-buckle charm.

• Guybrush began to trust LeChuck though.

• I don't really understand this plan that Elaine was supposed to have...Guybrush finally used Elaine's ring as the last action of the game, to escape from the Crossroads...and Elaine is meant to have foreseen this in episode 2? That makes no sense. So she just felt that the ring would be useful? I don't understand.

Her whole plan seems to have been "let Guybrush take care of it", which of course works since Guybrush has to win, but it isn't really much of a plan at all.

• @Fronzel said: Guybrush finally used Elaine's ring as the last action of the game, to escape from the Crossroads...and Elaine is meant to have foreseen this in episode 2? That makes no sense. So she just felt that the ring would be useful? I don't understand.

She probably knew about the spell LeChuck used to escape the crossroads (she HAS known LeChuck a lot longer than Guybrush has), and wanted him to have the ring in case he was trapped in the crossroads, which was a plausible scenario given all the voodoo and playing fast with the rules of life and death this particular adventure involved.

• Maybe Elaine was expecting Guybrush to use the ring right out, but didn't expect it would get left behind with his body? Maybe she just saw the ring as an important remedy and expected Guybrush to end up in a bind far more complicated (and in a far more unprepared state) than what she was getting into. Maybe she thought he'd be able to use it to cure her after becoming LeChuck's bride? Maybe Mark Darin knows the answer. I always assumed that Elaine had some inkling that it would be important, wasn't sure of the details (she can't see the future), so she trusted her gut, and took the risk.

• @Karl said: Guybrush began to trust LeChuck though.

Thats what bothered me the most about the story in Tales of Monkey Island. I (as a player) never trusted LeChuck, yet I was forced to play a character who came to.

Maybe if they didn't make the human LeChuck so goody-two-shoes...

• I think Elaine was working the whole time to stop the Voodoo Lady from manipulating Guybrush and to a lesser extent LeChuck. She didn't trust the Voodoo lady and advised Guybrush to not take her advice.
    I mean think about it throughout the Monkey Island series Guybrush and LeChuck were always destined to countinually fight each other and the Voodoo Lady was guiding Guybrush's every move.
    LeChuck gave Elaine insight on the Voodoo Lady's trickery and Elaine goes along with his plan (either because of the belt buckle or because of she gunually belived) Naturally she also saw this as the oppertunity to get rid of LeChuck for good aswell.
    This is how understand it all anyway
    Though I still don't understand how Elaine new her ring would help Guybrush or why she reacted the way she did when LeChuck killed Guybrush (assuming it was part of the plan)

Add Comment