49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, it has sentimental signifigance, and thus makes for a nice, symbolic ending. But if you want the explanation they gave, "A Guide, an Anchor, Courage, and a Sacrifice: Place these things in a ring in the crossroads."
    Granted, it wasn't exactly in, but it's close.

[Also, just finished the game! Woopie!]

• I don't remember what Guybrush said when putting it onto the center of the crossroads (he was reciting the spell from the beginning of the game I think), but weirdly enough I remembered the words of the Voodoo Lady from CMI at that moment when she described the meanings of the huge diamond ring then
    Something like:

"It represents a pure, true love. A power which is stronger than anything else."

• It's a shame that in many other languages, this puzzle will not have a meaning. In english ring and ring as circle zone are the same word, but in other languages not, and then the "flashback" to the previous spell doesn't have sense. I'm italian and, for exemple, the circle zone is "ring", as in english, but the ring on the finger is "anello". I'm scared about the localization, now :(

• @loaldnt said: It's a shame that in many other languages, this puzzle will not have a meaning. In english ring and ring as circle zone are the same word, but in other languages not, and then the "flashback" to the previous spell doesn't have sense. I'm italian and, for exemple, the circle zone is "ring", as in english, but the ring on the finger is "anello". I'm scared about the localization, now :(

Unfortunately, many things get lost in translation. Wouldn't be the first time it happened in Monkey Island. E.g. the "monkey wrench" in MI2 - since I'm German, I never would've been able to solve that one without a walkthrough, though they were trying to give us hints in the German version, too.

• @BeeKay84 said: Unfortunately, many things get lost in translation. Wouldn't be the first time it happened in Monkey Island. E.g. the "monkey wrench" in MI2 - since I'm German, I never would've been able to solve that one without a walkthrough, though they were trying to give us hints in the German version, too.

Do you mean the monkey? That joke doesn't even sense neither in italian, and infact I don't understand yet the real sense behind that puzzle.

• In my language "circle" is "koło" and ring for a finger is "pierścień", but you can say "ułożyć w pierścień", which means "put in a shape of ring"

• The way I see it, he put each of those qualities into the ring via the following reasonings:

He view it as a symbol of his love obviously, and was led on his quest for Elaine to cure her of the pox (guide).
    Whenever he was down it would remind him of why he was doing it (anchor) and prompt him to keep going in the face of adversity (courage).
    He sacrificed his one shred of life to save Elaine and so the ring also represented that (sacrifice). Also, I would say that he was sacrificing the ring by using it at the crossroads, but you then give it back to her so I guess not.

• Sacrifise symbolizes the way two people sacrifices their lives and merge them into one everlasting way of living, I say.

Add Comment