User Avatar Image

Frustrating Showdown

posted by Phoonzang on - last edited - Viewed by 939 users

Among all the praise for the game (it was briliant, I agree on that) is there anybody who also felt taken aback by the showdown on the ship?

That was artificial prolonging of gameplay at its best (or worst, as you like). Hasn't this type of bad design from the dark (Sierra)ages abolished a long time ago? What on earth is the sense of watching the same sequences of animations over and over again because you misclicked, or clicked one sec late, other than frustrating the audience? And especially the "scene" when Guybrush stands on the balcony. Nothing to do but to wait for another punch from LeChuck. Come on.
You can do better than this, in all other games where I suspected a tedious "try this n that for the umpteenth tim" puzzle was coming up, there always was a knack that made it playable (and not frustrating). Please keep to that and don't resort to this cheap type of game time expansion in the future.

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I absolutely don't agree with you. Actually if you play in order to have "movie like sequences" or "logical sequences", only one repeats itself. (because you can use your hook on both rope and mainsail)

Then of course, if you take 3hours to complete that puzzle, yeah that repeats itself.

But then it's like picking up the same dialog lines over and over. It depends on what you want to see. I actually like to play in order to make the game more "realistic", I try not to make them repeat themselves...

I admit the last fast repeated itself a bit for the first time. But once knowing what you have to do, it's just great actually.

• @Phoonzang said: Among all the praise for the game (it was briliant, I agree on that) is there anybody who also felt taken aback by the showdown on the ship?

That was artificial prolonging of gameplay at its best (or worst, as you like). Hasn't this type of bad design from the dark (Sierra)ages abolished a long time ago? What on earth is the sense of watching the same sequences of animations over and over again because you misclicked, or clicked one sec late, other than frustrating the audience? And especially the "scene" when Guybrush stands on the balcony. Nothing to do but to wait for another punch from LeChuck. Come on.
    You can do better than this, in all other games where I suspected a tedious "try this n that for the umpteenth tim" puzzle was coming up, there always was a knack that made it playable (and not frustrating). Please keep to that and don't resort to this cheap type of game time expansion in the future.

Bad design? It's no different from any other MI game showdown, once you know what to do its fast and flows easily, but if you don't, it repeats itself until you do. The only reason it might SEEM different is because you already know to use the root beer or how to make the voodoo doll, or to blow up the ice, etc.

• if you ask me thatz was the BEST showdown of all MI Games!
    MI1: the final fight was only picking up a bottle and use it on LeChuck.
    MI2: ok the reasambeling of the Voodoo doll was nice but it was no "fight more a running away"
    MI3: once again it had no tension and was solved to quick
    MI4: KONKEY COMBAT!!!!!!
    MI5: The Games was over right befor you confrontet LeChuck^^
    ToMI: a Real Fight with Nice Puzzels and a fearsome LeChuck

• All MI showdowns were like that, including the Monkey Kombat one, and I love them.

• I was frustrated at the begining, when I didn't know what to do, doing little things (just because I could do them, but without really know why I needed them), and being keelhauled over and over again...
    But suddenly all the puzzle pieces got in place in my brain, with that happy catharsis when you think "so, THAT is what I was meant to do!". And from there, I did all the final showdown smooth as silk, with a great feeling of fulfillment for being capable to do it without any (external) hints. And the solution to the next puzzle, while quite obvious (you don't have THAT many things on your inventory, you don't have too many options or possible things to do) gave me the same feeling.

• I agree 100%. The overall episode was great, no question. But that final scene was incredibly annoying. Never having enough time to look around, having the same animation of being kicked around the ship over and over...

• I would just add to use your hook on the barrels before to ask Elaine to fight Lechuck. Otherwise that makes Guybrush too omniscient. Like he knew the keys in the water would open them..

Adding that makes the fight perfect and logical.

You don't have the same animations if you do what you have to do...

• @Phoonzang said: And especially the "scene" when Guybrush stands on the balcony. Nothing to do but to wait for another punch from LeChuck. Come on.

This one frustrated me, too. But apart from that, it was just like in the final part of "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge", when you needed to collect all the ingredients for a Voodoo Doll, while LeChuck could appear any second to beam you into a different room. That could be frustrating, too. But suspenseful on the other hand.

• @Strayth said: I would just add to use your hook on the barrels before to ask Elaine to fight Lechuck. Otherwise that makes Guybrush too omniscient. Like he knew the keys in the water would open them..

The point was though to make the fight fast, having Guybrush use the Hook on the Lock just makes him say "No Use, my Hook won't fit in this lock" adding no real point in the fight.

Add Comment