User Avatar Image

Why come no Monkey Island?

posted by tredlow on - last edited - Viewed by 716 users

I just realized that this is the first Monkey Island game that has nothing to do with the actual island at all!! While in the second game we didn't go to Monkey Island, Dinky Island is a small atoll off the coast of Monkey Island, connected by a series of tunnels, so it's kind of sort of connected to MI.

Not that I'm complaining about the story, which was great, but I was really hoping to see a fully 3D Monkey Island. So...

howcome.png

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • MI2 was retconned into having Monkey Island by CMI, at no point in MI2 itself did it ever say we were on Monkey Island.

  • there was no metal gear in metal gear solid 3 no zelda in links awakening and the real mortal kombat tournment was only in the first game

  • Monkey Island is just the name of the series. If they had called it "The Secret of Guybrush Threepwood", then there wouldn't be this discussion.

    It's like Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It probably got canned because Terminator is more about John Connor, but they were stuck with the name.

  • @Jazzy said: MI2 was retconned into having Monkey Island by CMI, at no point in MI2 itself did it ever say we were on Monkey Island.

    I think you're right. Dinky Island's (or was it Inky?) tunnels only connected Dinky and Melee and for some reason in CMI they said you could also go to Monkey Island.
    Also, there is a tunnel that leads from Melee to Blood Island if you trust the CMI easter egg, and Guybrush can also WALK on the sea bottom from Blood to an ALTERNATE PAST of Melee, seeing himself drown.

    So yeah, this leaves us with the theory that you can actually walk from Blood to Melee (past and present) and from there to Dinky and Monkey Island. That's what I call a network.

  • @Jazzy said: MI2 was retconned into having Monkey Island by CMI, at no point in MI2 itself did it ever say we were on Monkey Island.

    No one said that MI2 went to Monkey Island. He said Dinky was a small island just in the outskirts of Monkey Island. Which is true.

    Edit:

    "In Curse of Monkey Island it is revealed that Dinky is in fact a small atoll off the coast of Monkey Island which led to some inconsistencies with earlier games. However, Dinky is also shown to be off the coast of Lucre Island in the in-game map of Escape from Monkey Island." - Quoted from http://www.miwiki.net/Dinky_Island

  • @Guinea said: I think you're right. Dinky Island's (or was it Inky?) tunnels only connected Dinky and Melee and for some reason in CMI they said you could also go to Monkey Island.
    Also, there is a tunnel that leads from Melee to Blood Island if you trust the CMI easter egg, and Guybrush can also WALK on the sea bottom from Blood to an ALTERNATE PAST of Melee, seeing himself drown.

    So yeah, this leaves us with the theory that you can actually walk from Blood to Melee (past and present) and from there to Dinky and Monkey Island. That's what I call a network.

    Yep, and this isn't even mentioned in MI2 itself, you only find out in CMI that they were supposedly connected.

    @Guinea said: No one said that MI2 went to Monkey Island. He said Dinky was a small island just in the outskirts of Monkey Island. Which is true.

    True as of CMI, in MI2 it was never revealed that this was the case, and hence until CMI was released it appeared that MI2 had no connection to Monkey Island whatsoever.

  • @The Commissioner said:
    It's like Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It probably got canned because Terminator is more about John Connor, but they were stuck with the name.

    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare?

  • Well in MI 2 at the very end you were in the Carnival of the damned. isnt that on Monkey island? Seeing as how you go there again in the third one? So isnt Monkey Island in MI 2?

  • @Jazzy said: MI2 was retconned into having Monkey Island by CMI, at no point in MI2 itself did it ever say we were on Monkey Island.

    Reading is fun!

  • oooooookkkkkkkaaaaayyyyyyy....... do you not consider MI 3 part of the series then? just because Ron Gilbert didn't create it doesnt mean its not the truth. someone had to continue the story and the creators of Curse decided to have the Carnival of the Damned on monkey island. so therefore you were on Monkey Island at the very end of MI 2.

Add Comment