User Avatar Image

Dom's voice acting

posted by Fealiks on - last edited - Viewed by 459 users

Really, really great! In the finale he had the drama nailed, and in the rest of the series he was brilliant too. Never in my life before have I played a game where one character's voice actor never slips up and always gets their lines perfect. I'm pretty sure that Dom is the only person who I completely separate from his character in any game because the acting is so convincing - in most games a character will say something in a certain way that feels kind of unnatural or they'll say a line in a way it wasn't intended to be said and it'll remind me that there's an actor playing the character, but with Guybrush it's just Guybrush being Guybrush. No actor, just Guybrush. And that's truly admirable. Thanks, Mr. Armato. Quite splendid of you. I just had to get that out there :D

Also I get 10 internets for every person who opens this thread thinking "Dom's voice acting" is going to lead on to something negative. 20 internets if it has that effect on Dom himself ^_^

62 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Dominique Armato is an amazing voice actor, and I was over joyed when I first heard that Telltales would continue to use him as the voice of the mighty pirate Guybrush. I doubt anyone could say a negative thing about his voice acting. I've adored him since Curse of Monkey Island and I can only hope he always continues to enjoy playing Guybrush's role :) .

• It's true. It's completely true. There's nothing more I can say except to voice my complete agreement.

• @Fealiks said: Never in my life before have I played a game where one character's voice actor never slips up and always gets their lines perfect.

Not played Half-Life 2 and its episodes, or StarCraft? Voice actors for the major characters in those two, with the likes of Merle Dandridge and Robert Clotworthy are spot on, make no mistakes and are brilliant at conveying the feelings of the character completely convincingly. But yes, Armato = great.

• @Secret Fawful said: It's true. It's completely true. There's nothing more I can say except to voice my complete agreement.

Indeed. There should be a special rule for this thread. Spamming "Dom is awesome!" infinitely should be tolerated.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Fealiks said:
    Also I get 10 internets for every person who opens this thread thinking "Dom's voice acting" is going to lead on to something negative.

The possibility of someone NOT liking Dom's voice work never even crossed my mind. :o

• @puzzlebox said: The possibility of someone NOT liking Dom's voice work never even crossed my mind. :o

What possibility?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Falanca said: What possibility?

Exactly. :D

• Do they give Bafta awards for video game acting or only writing? Because his performance in the last episode definitely deserves a nomination.

• Dom's voice was perfectly cast since it pretty much matched the mental image that players conjured of Guybrush's voice since the original two (or at least it did with me).

Alongside Earl Boen they made a magnificently fearsome team, a voice acting duo so good that they became inseperable (I remember all the wtf posts about LeChucks voice in Episode 1).

• I'm introducing to my roommates MI and so far showed some clips of Chap. 5 to my roommate and she was freaking out over the well being of Guybrush when she heard his voice being in pain. And I had my heartstrings pulled so badly because of Dom's amazing voice acting whenever Guybrush was feeling depressed or in pain.
    Hell, whenever I was playing some ToMI she would always come by and ask "How's Guybrush doing?" As if he's a legit existing person and not some character in a video game. Only really good voice acting (and character development, but that also falls into voice category in a way) could do such a move.

Dominic, if you're reading this, that is some seriously above and beyond work!! :D

Add Comment