User Avatar Image

aimed audience

posted by flying sheep on - last edited - Viewed by 134 users

i like the tales, i like the setting, the music, the dialogue, …

but there is one thing that bugs me out: the violence of the game.

i mean, most of us here are adults, so we can cope with the really cruel parts. guybrush’s decomposting body is used as dart-board-holder, he is beaten up really, really badly by lechuck (not like in somi, flying in the air there is rather funny; here you can almost feel his pain), noogie is killed off cold-blooded by his friends, whom guybrush talked niceley to hours before they do it, …

on the other hand, there is “pirate face-off” and not a single drip of blood in the game, both of which are “features” for people not older than 8. what wants this game to be?

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Implied or non-bloody violence does not earn a game a very strick rating from the ESRB, but showing blood does.

• Well, a lot of the "puzzles" are apparently designed with the ADHD 5 year-old market in mind, so I'm not completely sure what their target is. And, from the looks of the forums, they're pretty capable of attracting that market very effectively.

((There are some brilliant puzzles, yes, but the quality is extremely sporadic. Hey, look, Use Hook on Lock! Use Hook on Lock! Use Hook on Lock! Use Dog on Dirt!))

• A large audience, it's got simple jokes for Kids to understand, a lot of hidden jokes for long time fans to understand, and violence and more adult themes for the older fans.

• the rating systems are so much fucked up then.

i mean, i knew that the morale of the american government is totally lunatic*, but…

*showing a female nipple is actually a reason for not letting teens play a game. that’s simply crazy since most people already had sex when they get old enough to see a nipple in a computer game.

• @flying sheep said: i mean, i knew that the morale of the american government is totally lunatic*, but…

The ESRB is actually not directly run or controlled by the US government. In the US, the video game industry is a self-regulated body.

• quite autoimmune body, it seems ;)

• @flying sheep said: quite autoimmune body, it seems ;)

Okay, that made me laugh. :D

• @Rather Dashing said: The ESRB is actually not directly run or controlled by the US government. In the US, the video game industry is a self-regulated body.

Sure, but the ESRB was only formed because the american government gave the industry a choice between governmental sensorship or self-sensorship. It is basically governmentally forced self-sensorship.

• The parts like Pirate Face-off are done not because of the kids, but 'cause of the good ol' humor. Bugeye being a wuss rather than a bully he think he is really got me laughing in that episode, and that face-off part was also a nice touch.

No blood may mean a more decent ESRB rating, but I don't think showing blood will make the game more mature. It shouldn't be the gore or blood or showing deaths or fights that makes something "for adults". I think that kind of a restriction is... even more childish.

• @Bagge said: Sure, but the ESRB was only formed because the american government gave the industry a choice between governmental sensorship or self-sensorship. It is basically governmentally forced self-sensorship.

While true, at the end of the day it IS the ESRB that decides what content they'll put in their games and...even then, it is up to the developers to decide to sacrifice parts of their games for the sake of a rating.

@Bagge said:
    No blood may mean a more decent ESRB rating, but I don't think showing blood will make the game more mature. It shouldn't be the gore or blood or showing deaths or fights that makes something "for adults". I think that kind of a restriction is... even more childish.
    I think we had several places where blood and/or gore would have been completely acceptable, and in fact accepted. While violent and sexual content doesn't necessarily make a product a mature piece of entertainment, squeamishly shying away from blood on what are meant to be severed limbs or blood from a massive stab wound is the kind of thing that takes a person out of the moment. When your severed limbs look like LEGOs and your stab wounds have absolutely no visible difference in consequence from, say, someone FAINTING, there's a problem.

Add Comment